My cup runneth over

Turner 'Plus' question

In a review of some plus bikes, the writer quotes the Scott engineer as saying the boost hub was needed to successfully create the Scott Plus bike. For those of you who have 'Plussed' your Burner/Flux/Czar, I thought you just threw on some old 26" wheels and called it good. Is there more to it?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's it. Boost hubs are wider and will not fit. And I don't think a wide + tire will fit in the Czar. 27.5+ will fit in the Sultan, 26+ will fit in the Burner/Flux. They just recommend wider rims.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by cheb View Post
    That's it. Boost hubs are wider and will not fit. And I don't think a wide + tire will fit in the Czar. 27.5+ will fit in the Sultan, 26+ will fit in the Burner/Flux. They just recommend wider rims.
    I meant to say Sultan instead of Czar - thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thinking about going 26+ with a Flux -- do 3" tires hit the chain on the inner ring of a triple?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Middle ring only, small ring hits tire. We are just lucky DT planned ahead to leave enough tire clearance. He could for see + tires back in 2008 when he designed the 2009 DW Sultan. I bet mostly though he wishes he could for see the stock market so well so he could stop dealing with all of us idiots!!!

My cup runneth over
    Is it middle ring only for all three bikes or can the Sultan handle a 22? Otherwise, is it possible to run a drive side spacer to get a 22 to work?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    DT himself told me 1x up front only which means middle ring alignment to me. 28 front and 42 rear would get you pretty low. And I doubt with bigger tires you'll be doing any pavement speed runs requiring a taller gear.

My cup runneth over
    Sadly I use/like all 3 rings on my current Fat Bike and my 5Spot. That's what killed the Kahn for me for now. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know what you mean, I struggled with the thought and my tiny little weak legs of 1x for a long time but after trying a 30/42 it's not that bad. I actually miss the taller gears more when I am on the short blasts of pavement to get to the trails. I'm leaning towards 2x so in the case of + tires, you could start with a compact triple, remove the inner, and have a 30/40 or a 32/42 up front. I saw that OneUp just made a 45 rear for the new XTR 11 speed so we are getting closer to having a nice low gear also. Not sure of your options in SRAM, I prefer Shimano.

My cup runneth over
    I like the suggestion of the compact triple - thanks.

All my rides include pavement just because I almost always ride out of my garage. It's 30 mins of pavement to one of my favs. That same ride also sees liberal use of 22/36 on the 2.5 mile climb. I also think that I will miss the in-between gears that you lose with 1x. I guess, like everything else, you get used to it if you commit to it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    New bikes should still have the possibility to run 3x.
    I run a 20/30/40 which is totally useful both on super steep long climbs, and riding pavement to/from rides.
    If some people can get the range they need out of 1x that is great.

My cup runneth over
    Pulled this pic of a Sultan with double chainrings from the + forum: Assuming this is functional...Turner 'Plus' question-sultan-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That bike did get a lot of time on it, but not sure if it was ridden much in little ring. I do know that in a full 3" tire the chain is close. My personal bike is 1X, now with WolfTooth 44, and it clears easily.