Rides like wrecking ball

Turner OK's a RFX/Marz66 combo

I know most RFX users here have a more trail build, like me, but I've been pondering going back to two bikes, a hardtail for XC/trail duty and then making my RFX into less of a multi-use bike. Here's an email I sent to find out what the limits of the RFX are...

Sent this to Turner:
    -I'm always wondering what's next for my bike. Now I'm planning my next fork purchase. I have an '01 RFX from best guesses. It came to me with 5" rockers and the headtube is not the super-thick version that my DHR had. This one is thick, but mostly on the bottom where a gusset/thickening plate is welded. Anyways, I've since upgraded to the 6" rockers, which feel even better on the bike. Now I'm looking to match that rear travel with 6" up front. I currently run an '03 Marzocchi Z.1 (a-c of 518mm), which is about as tall as 6" forks were back in '00-'01. I've seen plenty of Z.150's (a-c of 538mm) on RFX's, so I'm assuming that's ok and works great. Have you recieved drawings of Marzocchi's new prototype fork, the "66"? I can email you some if desired. It's based off the super-tall 888 DH fork, but the two version are single crowns. Supposedly the 150mm travel version stands a whopping 575mm a-c, and there's even a 170mm version standing at 595mm a-c. Would 575mm a-c totally ruin the handling of the 6" RFX for anything short of DH? Would you be concerned about frame/headtube strength with a fork that long? I've seen Boxxers on your show models of RFX, but that's a fairly low 7" fork. Several riders have posted pics with Shivers even. I'm guessing a headangle of about 67.5 degrees, or just about what my '02 DHR had. That was ok for freeriding and flatter trails. Definately not much of a climber, but I don't do much of that lately. Basically, could you ask Dave if the '01 RFX could handle a fork with a 575mm a-c length please? I know he's all about balanced travel, and at least I'll have that!

Got this reply from Casey:
    -The RFX will be fine with the measurements you are considering. Keep in mind, adding travel or fork length will always change the way the bike rides and handles. We don't get to test every fork on every frame so I can't tell you how the individual forks will change the bike.

That's that. Even though I know the Z150 is most appropriate for my riding, I really can't be happy with it and wondering "what if" until I go all the way with a 66. But I won't really be able to get a 66 for another 5-6 months, so things could always change in that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I just want to say that I always knew about Turner and I always wanted one but took it no further. No $$$$$ at the time.
    I however stumbled upon one (for a better of lack of words) with the help of a freind on a RFX 21. It was my size amazingly and I bought it.
    I have not regretted since and this is after only 3 rides just this year.
    I believe it would be considered a 2000 model since the previous owner recieved it Sept/00.
    The guy I bought it from had a Shivers on his But I have gone with the F150...(very happy so far.)
    Also Turner have been very good at answering any of my dumb questions I have had.
    I think it is very cool they take the time out of their busy day....
    I know this if I ever consider another bike I would not hesitate ordering a NEW bike through Turner.

Thanks

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wonder if the silver crowns seen on the 66s at Sea Otter are any different than the black anodized crowns seen on the 66s at that Tokyo? Maybe the outcry on RM did some good afterall and the crowns are adjusted?

Then again, they were running one on a Demo 9 weren't they? Which is normally speced with a 888. Maybe the silver crowns made the a2c height even greater...

mtbr member
    very cool that Turner oks it for the '01 (same year as mine.)

I'm doing the same thing with my RFX this season, dropping the Z1fr for a Super T, adding the 6" rockers and building up an urban/trail hardtail bike. Lots of shuttling planned for this season with bigger drops 'n jumps.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Post some pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    I just want to say that I always knew about Turner and I always wanted one but took it no further. No $$$$$ at the time.
    I however stumbled upon one (for a better of lack of words) with the help of a freind on a RFX 21. It was my size amazingly and I bought it.
    I have not regretted since and this is after only 3 rides just this year.
    I believe it would be considered a 2000 model since the previous owner recieved it Sept/00.
    The guy I bought it from had a Shivers on his But I have gone with the F150...(very happy so far.)
    Also Turner have been very good at answering any of my dumb questions I have had.
    I think it is very cool they take the time out of their busy day....
    I know this if I ever consider another bike I would not hesitate ordering a NEW bike through Turner.

Thanks

Kevin