Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Turner Nitrous Build 18.59lbs / 8432g

I just got my first Turner! Its a Large 05 Nitrous almost complete. All I really need is some new inner wire cables and Im done. Weight will be 18.59lbs or 8432g with my light tires! I'll be out of town but should have full specs on light-bikes.com in a few weeks. Most of the parts were off of my old bike http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/B...ing.asp?id=175 Its funny because my old frame was about 20g lighter than the 2088g Nitrous. The cable routing alone just about made up for any weight difference I dropped 66g off my tuned Thomson with a KCNC TI Pro Lite seatpost. The stem dropped another 44g with a 90mm TI bolt Syntace F99 stem. Another 30g was dropped with my tuned 99.6g XTR FD-M950 front derailleur. 43g was dropped by going to Racebolts TI bolt on skewers. Cable routing, headset spacers dropped the rest. I really like the build the way it is. I dont think I can really do much more without going crazy. Comments?

Last edited by Bender; 11-13-2006 at 12:59 PM.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    That is ridiculously light. Can I borrow it next season?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So, do you ride it, or just genuflect in front of it?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Awesome.

Ever think about getting a mountain bike?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sounds fast! Nice to see a little variety here, as we mostly seem to be hdxc and fr style riders in this forum, but I for one can appreciate a purpose-built "steed for speed". How about a few pix?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i agree with kos. dont let strad and jayem get to ya. its all in fun if ya havent figured that out on yer own. (funny shyt guys!) but we must see pics!

ps: by "tuned" do you mean ruined?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Are pics not showing up? Tuned as in a few parts like seatpost have been shortened and others new hardware like TI bolts.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    no pics pal. yeah, i know. just a excellent oppertunity to give ya some crap is all.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Very nice.
    Last edited by Velo_1; 11-17-2006 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member

New question here.

Comments?

Might want to check that wt. w/another scale!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i agree with kos. dont let strad and jayem get to ya. its all in fun if ya havent figured that out on yer own. (funny shyt guys!) but we must see pics!

ps: by "tuned" do you mean ruined?
    Ha ha ha, everyone knows any bike lighter than my 21.5 lb Nitrous is "stupid light". Mine is right.

You see, I'm learning from Jayem. My way is the ONLY right way. Every other way is wrong.

I am interested in how well those tires work. I've pretty much settled on Maxxis Crossmark Advantage tires at 500g a pop. They aren't the lightest tires, but of the many tires I've tested, they're the fastest for me. Especially on the front, they corner so much better than Karmas or Pythons you have to re-train your brain for the higher entry speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stradissimo
    Ha ha ha, everyone knows any bike lighter than my 21.5 lb Nitrous is "stupid light". Mine is right.

You see, I'm learning from Jayem. My way is the ONLY right way. Every other way is wrong.

I am interested in how well those tires work. I've pretty much settled on Maxxis Crossmark Advantage tires at 500g a pop. They aren't the lightest tires, but of the many tires I've tested, they're the fastest for me. Especially on the front, they corner so much better than Karmas or Pythons you have to re-train your brain for the higher entry speed.
    The Hutchin Mosquito tires in the pic are my mud tires. I guess it really depnds on the terrain your riding.

FYI the scale works fine its just the wallet thats broke.

Wicketed

always good to see a nitrous on here...

...a nice counterpoint to the rfx mania that abounds round these parts (speaking as a 6pack rider). i worry that you are taking the weight-loss issue to the extreme by leaving yourself open to taking a core-sample from your body if you land on the end of your bars though...bung an end-plug in there, it's making me nervous

i bet that bike is as much fun (in the right hands) in smooth singletrack as any huckermother is in the drop zone... enjoy
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    sweet! so if i put that exact same build on my RFX I would have a 22.5 lb 6 " travel bike...in the back anyway, but still!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    sweet! so if i put that exact same build on my RFX I would have a 22.5 lb 6 " travel bike...in the back anyway, but still!
    Man, you know you want the gold. It's supa-pimpy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The Chile Challenge sounds more like a Homer eating event....

Rolling
    This is a result of your brain on drugs.

...and I want to see a pic of it hanging on a scale even if it breaks 20 lbs.

oops, I said "break"

BTW, why not a rigid fork over the sid? Same performance but lighter weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    This is a result of your brain on drugs.

...and I want to see a pic of it hanging on a scale even if it breaks 20 lbs.

oops, I said "break"

BTW, why not a rigid fork over the sid? Same performance but lighter weight.
    Wow your incredibly Intelligent. You know you can verify the weights looking at my old build on light-bikes.com Its not rocket science

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    Wow your incredibly Intelligent. You know you can verify the weights looking at my old build on light-bikes.com Its not rocket science
    When you're going to insult one's intellect, you can't make a your/you're error.

Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    "Just sayin'." thats not a correct either so that makes two of us

Bike Snob
    If I had a nitrous I would build it just like that and then Utah would break it.

Lay off the Levers
    Cripes... do you realize my Pack sometimes weighs more than your whole bike?
    Incredible attention to detail. Well done. Not my cup o' tea but I appreciate the effort it must have taken.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

Rolling
    Exactly. I challenge those numbers in your spreadsheet. Prove me wrong by hanging it on a scale. Anyone can use a calculator to add up numbers that are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Cripes... do you realize my Pack sometimes weighs more than your whole bike?
    Of course your six-pack weighs more....oh wait, you mean your backpack! ;-)
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-18-2006 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Exactly. I challenge those numbers in your spreadsheet. Prove me wrong by hanging it on a scale. Anyone can use a calculator to add up numbers that are wrong.

Of course your six-pack weighs more....oh wait, you mean your backpack! ;-)
    No problem I have pictures of almost every single part on a scale. I use a myweigh 7001DX for 1g resolution and a myweigh Triton T2 for tenth of a gram resolution. Both are kept properly calibrated. When I return from vacation around the end of the month I will upload more of the pics. I have a few uploaded currently. I can also get a pic of the entire bike on a 5g resolution scale.

Here just a few pics I have up now.

1022g 2.25 pound SID with star nut installed. Internals are 98 & 2001 internals customized. It uses Enduro seals and a TI bolt as well.

Here is whats inside the SID. Its a one sided damper, negative spring and airspring assembly. I get 3" travel out of this.

Here are the lower legs with enduro seals installed. The lowers have a clearcoat over the magnesium. Notice how the brake studs have been carefully ground off for a very sleek look.

Here is the crown assembly with starnut and about 8" steertube. I could drop about 50g with a carbon crown but price wouldnt be fun.

Here is the XTR FD-M950 front derailleur I just got. Stock it was 111g. After aluminum bolts & a bit of grinding to get this style working on my nitrous its just under 100g.

I'll get more pics uploaded when I'm home.

Rolling
    No problem I have pictures of almost every single part on a scale. I use a myweigh 7001DX for 1g resolution and a myweigh Triton T2 for tenth of a gram resolution. Both are kept properly calibrated. When I return from vacation around the end of the month I will upload more of the pics. I have a few uploaded currently. I can also get a pic of the entire bike on a 5g resolution scale.

Here just a few pics I have up now.

1022g 2.25 pound SID with star nut installed. Internals are 98 & 2001 internals customized. It uses Enduro seals and a TI bolt as well.

Here is whats inside the SID. Its a one sided damper, negative spring and airspring assembly. I get 3" travel out of this.

Here are the lower legs with enduro seals installed. The lowers have a clearcoat over the magnesium. Notice how the brake studs have been carefully ground off for a very sleek look.

Here is the crown assembly with starnut and about 8" steertube. I could drop about 50g with a carbon crown but price wouldnt be fun.

Here is the XTR FD-M950 front derailleur I just got. Stock it was 111g. After aluminum bolts & a bit of grinding to get this style working on my nitrous its just under 100g.

I'll get more pics uploaded when I'm home.
    Come on...keep going...it's wonderful when someone gets so caught up in this stuff..

I wanna see every single part weighed plus a pic of the entire bike on a hanging scale before I quit hounding you.

It's the kinda guy I am...

Can you mow my lawn if you ever come to Boulder too? Come on, I dare you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast