Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Turner homers still loving the Formula brakes?

I have been riding some Formula ORO's for a few years and enjoy them. I picked up some RXO hybrid brakes and am considering using them but my SLX still rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've been rocking K24's for 5 years now. No muss, no fuss.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I have been riding some Formula ORO's for a few years and enjoy them. I picked up some RXO hybrid brakes and am considering using them but my SLX still rock.

The RO/RX is a good brake package, I've been riding them for the last 8 months on one of my bikes. If you like the Oros I think you will enjoy the RO/RX.
    I have had issues with lack of modulation with most of the 'The One' brakes, but I found the above mentioned brakes noticeably improved in this aspect.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have a set of 2012 the Ones on my Spot and they have been powerful, well modulating and reliable. My wife has a set of 24's on her city bike and are very reliable.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've been riding a pair of the Mega's for the past 5 years and love em, power, modulation. Have not had a single issue, no bleeding, just swap the pads and after a ride they are silent again.

That said I'm trying some XT's on a new build but will have the Mega's handy if I don't like them.

Team Blindspot
    What's a Homer
    Astigmatic Visionary

GAME ON!
    i traded my formula the ones for new xt brakes. love the change.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    I'm wondering as well. Have a set of K24s on my Spot but thinking of going Burner and the build kit has the SRAM brakes... SRAM X0s vs Formula R1/X/0 (haven't made up my mind which yet)....

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I have the RXs......initially, the sqeeelllllled.....screamed......squellccged......i remounted....trial and error.......nowvrhey are dialed in.....they dont cry anymore...but i dont have much clearance between the pads and the rotor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Rode the k24 for years and thought they were great. Stripped out the bleed port screws and bought a pair of XT's. No comparison, the XT's are just better in every category. Power, modulation, adjustment, fade, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post
    Rode the k24 for years and thought they were great. Stripped out the bleed port screws and bought a pair of XT's. No comparison, the XT's are just better in every category. Power, modulation, adjustment, fade, etc.
    Not to mention price and availability of parts.

Similar here, I still have K24s on my Spot, but have XTs on my new SS. I like the XTs better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Could not agree more. Xt brakes are the best upgrade I have made to my bike in a long time.
    Just Ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    what? Shimanos 2012 second in line brake system is better than what, Formulas 2006 second in line brake system? Say it ain't so! Let's compare apples to apples no?

That being said, i am very impressed indeed with the current Deore brakes, while not totally happy with my The Ones. I am contemplating swapping the Formulas with Shimanos across the board, but even though the latter are very competitively priced i'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I'll se how it goes with the new pads on the Formulas, and if all else fails get some help with airing em properly. When Formulas work they are hard to match, but shimanos are prob as good right now and easier to service. My next brake will def be Shimano though, the last two sets i've bought are Deores (dh+trail bike= the ones, commuter + play bike= deores [yes, i have toom nay bikes... ]).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My RX have been trouble free going on 3 years. I just bought a set of RXO for my other bike.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    The new Shimano brakes are awesome in terms of power, modulation and feel. That said, they're considerably heavier than Formula the Ones or ROs/RXOs. Formula is probably the strongest brake for their weight.

Being DOT brakes, they need to be bleed regularly (as in seasonally) otherwise the boiling point of the fluid goes down and you get fade. I've come to Formula The Ones as a long standing shimano 4 pot XT fan (running the servo wave saint levers). Formulas modulate considerably better than the old generation Shimano stuff but not quite as good as the latest. If it wasn't for weight, it would be a no brainer.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I've had the Formula RX brakes on my 5 Spot for the past year and half and have really liked them..... once I got them centered well and the rear to quit dragging. Like others have said the clearance is a bit tight. Modulation and feel are both really good, power is sufficient to good but I do notice some fade on long steep descents. They are not silent but don't squeal. More like a hissing sound when under heavy braking.

That being said, I too am going with the new XT brakes on my new build. I haven't felt anything that is better in all the tests I've done over the past year or two.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Any reason to go XTR over XT for racing? I can't imagine the weight is all the different....

Thanks, guys for information.

GAME ON!
    80g. if you don't mind paying a couple hundred more, i suppose it's worth it.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Bikes are good

2nd on XT's

I rode Elixir's as my first hydraulic brake. At first I thought they were so great, but were a hassle most of the time. XT's are solid, and I was real skeptical of going with them in the first place.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been running Formula - Oro Puro on Sultan for approx. 3 trouble free years thinking couldn't get any better...But just back from shakedown run of new XTR - Trail version.

Knew any new system bound to be better due to progression, but the power & modulation difference is very impressive and definitely noticible right out of the box.

Hoping to get same bulletproof reliability as the Formulas...time will tell.