Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Is Turner going DW Link for 09'?

Read from another forum in MTBR that Turner is going DW Link for 09'? Sounds strange, but is this true?

mtbr member
    I believe DT has respect for the DW suspension system, but the Turner bikes are pretty dialed. I'd be really shocked if this were true.
    Giant Reign Adv
    Hightower 29
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Giant TCX
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 24" - son's

Committed
    Nope.

mtbr member
    I agree that the Turner bikes are dialed, but I could see a move to newer technology happening.

DT ditched the Nitrous, is ditching the Highline, and is completely overhauling the RFX for 09'. Seems like change is afoot at Turner, in some fashion at least.

mtbr member
    I think there is no need for major change/departure from what works really well, a few tweaks maybe as the entire line continually evolves.

Bodhisattva
    I'm in favor of a DW Turner if it drops the price below $2000 so that Jaybo can have one.
    ďLife is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.Ē

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I'm in favor of a DW Turner if it drops the price below $2000 so that Jaybo can have one.
    Nice gesture....however, one word of caution: I fear the allure of a DW link Turner may be more than Davide can withstand. Be forewarned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Nice gesture....however, one word of caution: I fear the allure of a DW link Turner may be more than Davide can withstand. Be forewarned
    Shudder...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    I agree that the Turner bikes are dialed, but I could see a move to newer technology happening.

DT ditched the Nitrous, is ditching the Highline, and is completely overhauling the RFX for 09'. Seems like change is afoot at Turner, in some fashion at least.
    Have any idea how the RFX will be overhauled?

Will the tubes be bent or will it have a new suspension design ala DW Link?

No, that's not phonetic
    It's been like 2 whole months since the last "DT is going DW??" thread. I was in serious withdrawals.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    rumor is dt is gonna rebadge a run of santa cruz nomads and call em the turner behappy.
    No, I'm NOT back!

"Its All Good"
    Its just a big pile of the steamy brown stuff.......... If DT is changing, he can keep a straight face real well when 6 riders are quizzing him during a breather on a ride the other weekend...

Sounds to me like a huge knitting circle talking a whole pile of do do
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If not Turner then where's DW going?

Ellsworth? (at least then the efficiency claims would be closer to true )

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    Have any idea how the RFX will be overhauled?
    Seriously? It's still on page 3. Here's a hint: Next generation rfx will have ISGS tabs, 1.5 headtube and maxle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member

DW-Spot

Quote Originally Posted by xtr444
    Read from another forum in MTBR that Turner is going DW Link for 09'? Sounds strange, but is this true?
    For me this rumor would be a Dream Come True!!! Youíd get the best of both worlds. A beautifully crafted USA built bike with great geometry and the best suspension design currently available. After spending the last few years riding and racing DW linked Lead Donkeys Iíve come to really enjoy and appreciate the DW link design. The DW link does it all. It climbs like a goat with no peddle feedback and it descends like no other design with a very plush and stable feel. I've also realized how much I missed riding a bike with the craftsmanship of a Turner. For what itís worth, put me on the list for a White X-Large DW-Spot with a painted rear-end!!!

Nicole? Papa?
    I'm coming (way) late to the party, but can someone explain to me what a DW link is and why it's supposed to be the best rear suspension set-up going?

banned
    and where was it said turner is doing the DW thing?

Lay off the Levers
    For all the answers, please search on "GroundHog's Day"
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee
    I'm coming (way) late to the party, but can someone explain to me what a DW link is and why it's supposed to be the best rear suspension set-up going?
    Check out this site for all the technical details of the DW Link. www.dw-link.com

penned by dave weigel to isolate the rear from pedaling forces and other negitive traits of trail use. its the best cuz the marketing guy says it is. ive yet to ride 1 so maybe i should shut the hell up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    CC, Santa Cruz is going DW???
    Now that IS news!

dammit! i need more sleep. thats a vpp, isnt it?

here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeTee
    Because the man himself says so here: clicky
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 05-12-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    dammit! i need more sleep. thats a vp, isnt it?
    whateva, a 4 bar (HL, VPP, DW, Maestro, etc.) is a 4 bar; yes? Each has their own pros and cons as there is always a compromise. You just can't have it all despite what the marketing folks say in their dissertation.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamzilla
    If not Turner then where's DW going? Ellsworth? (at least then the efficiency claims would be closer to true )
    Since the Horst Link patent is expiring soon, perhaps Specy would be interested in picking up what IH dropped.

You gotta see my dw-E bike. It is 100.1% efficient on pavement relative to my 6-Pack.

gravity curmudgeon
    This is good news. Turner frames just don't look as good without some extra sticker(s) proclaiming the associated suspension patents involved.

mtbr member
    penned by dave weigel to isolate the rear from pedaling forces and other negitive traits of trail use. its the best cuz the marketing guy says it is. ive yet to ride 1 so maybe i should shut the hell up.
    I don't know about the "Marketing Guy" but I'm stating itís the best suspension design I've ridden yet. I've owned Single Pivot, Horst Link, VPP, and DW. In my opinion ( Yes we all know the joke about opinions) it's hands down the best. Unfortunately there is not a manufacturer currently utilizing the DW Link that I would want to own. Come on Dave I want to buy another Turner!!!!!

banned

here ya go.
    THat should bring Derby here in a hurry with some supernatural notions of the operation.

trail fairy
    No need to fix what aint broke!

2nd 3rded 4thed

DT dialled!

now looks like a
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    DW Link is a Crutch. I want a 30.9 seat tube so I can run a real crutch--A Speedball
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm surprised so few Homers have ridden a DW or Maestro bike.

I have a Giant Reign X1 that had a DHX 3.0 on there. It honestly felt better in that state than all other bikes I've ridden with PUSHed DHX shocks. By far way better on the square edged hits.

Now that I have a Roco TST r on there, it's not even funny how much smoother Maestro is than other suspension designs.

Regardless of performance, there's something to be said for a simple, lightweight, dialed, and reliable bike like the RFX in its current form. I think I like the way the RFX brakes with the single pivot on there, more than Maestro. Maestro feels a tad floaty for my tastes when braking hard.

There's also the fact that a faster bike isn't always "more" fun. My bike is almost TOO fast right now. I'm constantly having to slam on the brakes to make corners I used to just coast into. The bike has really no sensation of speed at all, so I'm always getting way over my head and killing the flow. Single pivot bikes seem to easier to slow down and control with your body english, where as the Maestro just keeps accelerating regardless of what I try to do.

trail fairy
    I'm surprised so few Homers have ridden a DW or Maestro bike.

I have a Giant Reign X1 that had a DHX 3.0 on there. It honestly felt better in that state than all other bikes I've ridden with PUSHed DHX shocks. By far way better on the square edged hits.

Now that I have a Roco TST r on there, it's not even funny how much smoother Maestro is than other suspension designs.

Regardless of performance, there's something to be said for a simple, lightweight, dialed, and reliable bike like the RFX in its current form. I think I like the way the RFX brakes with the single pivot on there, more than Maestro. Maestro feels a tad floaty for my tastes when braking hard.

There's also the fact that a faster bike isn't always "more" fun. My bike is almost TOO fast right now. I'm constantly having to slam on the brakes to make corners I used to just coast into. The bike has really no sensation of speed at all, so I'm always getting way over my head and killing the flow. Single pivot bikes seem to easier to slow down and control with your body english, where as the Maestro just keeps accelerating regardless of what I try to do.
    Foamy

Im a big fan of the Regin X its a great bike! no arguments from me, its not just about the suspension, TBs are about experience, the build, quality CS, the man hiself etc etc, not a corporate hes putting back, we have contact here, there's many reasons for brand loyalty, and not horing

I really like DW bikes, Ive wanted a Sunday right up with the DHR, I still ultimatley love the DHR above all others for more reasons than performance, and Im not the first one to jump on just because Sam wins everything.

Ive ridden the MK3 and really like that bike, I woulda put my friend on one but she went with a Maestro, no one listens to me My buddy has one of the most pimped out IH7s around its a stunning bike, but I would still choose a HL over one, am I blind no, its just what I like, others choices are no more wrong than mine, be boring if we were all the same, inclu bikes, in the most we keep our blind faith committed in the Turner forum, while some don't sem to understand that yet remain loyal to there own brands doh, I think Turner Homies still aprecciate other brands, occasionally we deliver some Homer humor to stir the pot.

Just my morning rant on why I want to see Turner stay the course and not be swayed by the next big marketing thing, if it works there's usually a good reason, but its never wrong to put it out there

My 2c
    Chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Foamy

Im a big fan of the Regin X its a great bike! no arguments from me, its not just about the suspension, TBs are about experience, the build, quality CS, the man hiself etc etc, not a corporate hes putting back, we have contact here, there's many reasons for brand loyalty, and not horing

I really like DW bikes, Ive wanted a Sunday right up with the DHR, I still ultimatley love the DHR above all others for more reasons than perfromance, and Im not the first one to jump on just because Sam wins everything,
    Ive ridden the MK3 and really like that bike, I would put my friend on one but she went with a Maestro, no one listens to me My buddy has one of the most pimped out IH7s around its a stunning bike, I would still choose a HL, am I blind no, its just what I like, and in most we keep our blind faith committed in the Turner forum, while still aprecciating other brands, occasionally we deliver some Homer humor to stirt he pot.

But just my rant on why I want to see Turner stay the course and not be swayed by the next big marketing thing, if it works there's usually a good reason, but its never wrong to put it out there

My 2c
    Chur
    I agree. I was getting at the fact that having a smoother and faster bike hasn't really made riding any more fun for me.

Even though the Reign x could ride circles around an RFX in a DH race, I think I may have more fun on the RFX in much the way some people prefer to ride a BottleRocket instead of a full DH rig. Not as high performance, but more fun to some people.

trail fairy
    I agree. I was getting at the fact that having a smoother and faster bike hasn't really made riding any more fun for me.

Even though the Reign x could ride circles around an RFX in a DH race, I think I may have more fun on the RFX.
    I concur number 1

Acadian

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    I concur number 1
    pppppfffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Large member
    Even though the Reign x could ride circles around an RFX in a DH race
    I'm not much for the technical things, but surely the objective of a downhill race is to get to the bottom as fast as possible. Riding in circles around other bikes would surely slow one down and therefore be a fruitless exercise?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    pppppfffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Can't win

Now if we we concurring on RX vs HL or DHR then well ya don't take a tooth pick to a gun fight..

The RX is pretty tight on the downs, oh we we didn't even get into the pre 07 RFX with 66s, still Tman on [RX] kicked my arse on a Riverhead DH once, and 2nd time we had same times

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    I'm not much for the technical things, but surely the objective of a downhill race is to get to the bottom as fast as possible. Riding in circles around other bikes would surely slow one down and therefore be a fruitless exercise?
    Stop poking holes into my swiss cheesey arguements!

mtbr member
    Foamy

I really like DW bikes, Ive wanted a Sunday right up with the DHR, I still ultimatley love the DHR above all others for more reasons than performance, and Im not the first one to jump on just because Sam wins everything.

Ive ridden the MK3 and really like that bike, I woulda put my friend on one but she went with a Maestro, no one listens to me My buddy has one of the most pimped out IH7s around its a stunning bike, but I would still choose a HL over one, am I blind no, its just what I like, others choices are no more wrong than mine, be boring if we were all the same, inclu bikes, in the most we keep our blind faith committed in the Turner forum, while some don't sem to understand that yet remain loyal to there own brands doh, I think Turner Homies still aprecciate other brands, occasionally we deliver some Homer humor to stir the pot.

Just my morning rant on why I want to see Turner stay the course and not be swayed by the next big marketing thing, if it works there's usually a good reason, but its never wrong to put it out there

My 2c
    Chur
    I understand brand loyalties very much and Iíve always said the best bike in the world is the bike you enjoy riding. Hereís my question, what if Turner put out a DW Link bike and still keep his full line of TNT linkage bikes? Would you then be more receptive to a DW Link or would the Homer consider DT a sellout?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    I understand brand loyalties very much and Iíve always said the best bike in the world is the bike you enjoy riding. Hereís my question, what if Turner put out a DW Link bike and still keep his full line of TNT linkage bikes? Would you then be more receptive to a DW Link or would the Homer consider DT a sellout?
    Um for me its more than just the linkage, technology!

Look of the bike, not prettiness etc but to has to look right to me, do I need the ride requirements that more supposedly advanced techologies offer?

Debatable, most people can't extract the abilites out of there bikes as it is me included.

Comparing directly the MK3 and IH 7, I prefer the rides of my Spot and RFX over both, but then I specced them to suit me!
    I would have Regin if OEM was my only options without question, but bot the G and IH would need some attention to specc for me to be happy and live with!

If DT was producing the options you talk about, then no doubt the quality and execution would be awesome.

I dunno Im of the opinion of love the one ya with, not wishing for maybe's, thats what landing on yer head and braking ya neck does makes ya appreciate what ya got

Plus I'd prefer to add a HL/DHR than replace what I have chasing rainbows, omo

chur

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    and where was it said turner is doing the DW thing?
    I too agree here with JC, where is the source of this knitting circle rumour coming from?

Lay off the Levers
    if Turner put out a DW Link bike and still keep his full line of TNT linkage bikes?
    I guess that would depend on how each rode. There's no guarantee DT's DWs would be worlds better than his TNTs, or vise versa and I wouldn't buy either base purely on the technology.

So the question is If DT built a better bike would I buy it, or would I keep riding his previous designs to avoid admitting anything can be improved?

Gee Idunno can I think about that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If you look kinda crosseyed at the chainstays

here ya go.
    don't they say "Crutch-link"?
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    So the question is If DT built a better bike would I buy it, or would I keep riding his previous designs to avoid admitting anything can be improved?
    LMAO - but that's kind of what some of the responses are like.

Brass Nipples!
    I like my Turners better than the DW link and Pivot bikes I've demoed, but they weren't set up exactly the way I like. I didn't sense enough potential 'better-ness" to consider making a switch.

I did buy into the "better than sliced bread" talk about VPP and bought a first generation SC Blur. That bike never did it for me and ended up being replaced by an Ellsworth Epiphany that I liked better, which was replaced by a Sultan that I like best.

I would be very, very interested to see what Dave Turner would do with a DW design. I'm not holding my breath, but we were all surprised when the TNT rear end came out, so we might want to never say never.

One thing I've discovered is that I don't like suspension to stiffen under power. That makes for good fireroad climbing, but not good tech climbing in my opinion. The VPP bikes I've ridden seemed to do this a lot. I don't think I noticed this very much with DW bikes, but I never had a chance to do much climbing with them.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    ... I didn't sense enough potential 'better-ness" to consider making a switch..
    Bob, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I've ridden dw linked bikes for extended periods and have one set-up according to my likes and there are pros and cons to the dw.

Just as an example, here's my brief comparison of an IH 6 Point and my Six Pack:

Preface: Both use Mission Control damped forks, same stem and handle bars, and both have Pushed DHXc.

CLIMBING: The 6Point is a bit harder to climb but that is likely because it is 3lbs heavier and 1.5lbs of that is in the front tire. On rocky tech climbing, the 6Pack is more compliant as the rear end on the dw does slightly stiffen up under power. The stiffening of the rear is actually not such a bad thing as it prevents the rear end from diving into dips..

Landing DROPS: they both feel the same.

BRAKING: Braking in rough, the Six Pack has slight advantage as the rear feels more active; I can more easily lock up the rear on the 6Point indicating a slightly less active rear end while on the brakes.

SQUARE EDGE: The 6Point does take on square edge hits better (does not hang up on square edge-high speed hits).

CORNERING: 6Point corners slightly better probably due to lower BB (it currently sits at 13.75BB while my pack has a 14.1BB).

Considering everything about the two bikes, I'd pick the Six Pack based on build quality and lighter weight. If they were both made by Turner and weighed the same, it would be a toss up. I'd be happy with one or the other.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 05-16-2008 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratfink
    LMAO - but that's kind of what some of the responses are like.
    Homer!

No, that's not phonetic
    Folks seem to migrate both directions. Acadian, Marshall Willanholly, and others sold their dw's and ride Specialized now for instance. Others have gone the other direction.

I've tried every suspension design out there and I don't see the point to switching based on a sticker on the chainstays.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Folks seem to migrate both directions. Acadian, Marshall Willanholly, and others sold their dw's and ride Specialized now for instance. Others have gone the other direction.

I've tried every suspension design out there and I don't see the point to switching based on a sticker on the chainstays.
    not anymore..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, I'll buy one. If DT and DW work on it, it'll be the best DW ever and one worth owning. I can't wait much past Interbike so if ya gonna do it, let's do it. I gotta get another bike soon and I want something really new and cool.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast