Sunshine & Slippery Trail

Turner DW DHR Incessant Creak

Hey all.
    I have had an incessant creaking coming from the pivots of my DHR since just about day zip. One set of upper pivots and rocker have already been replaced, though within a couple weeks of riding the creak was back. I haven't been riding the DHR much this year, but just started getting back on it and after a major overhaul prior to riding (which I thought would have removed the creak), noticed marring on one of the pivot axles again. I think this is the cause of the creak, but am wondering if any other DHR owners out there have had a similar issue? Don't want to bug Turner again until I have looked into the issue a little more.

Thoughts?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Mine's still pretty new but after a couple of days at home and 8 hard days at Whistler I haven't heard a peep out of it. You may have to service the remaining pivots...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Every joint with 2 or more parts needs some sort of heavy grease, anti seize or LocTite on every bike. Were the new bearings installed with either green LocTite or AntiSieze? Is there grease on or AntiSieze on the shafts? LocTite on bolts? On bearings I like to use bearing and sleeve retainer (Green LocTite) as it creates a thin barrier of dissimilar material. I even use it on the Cane Creek headset bearings as they are not press fit into the alloy head cups, but dropped in. NOISE. A thin coat and Voila! no noise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Pull the der hanger and grease all the mating surfaces including the bolt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    + 1 on the D hanger and bolt. Fixed similar problem on my Sultan.

mtbr member
    +2 on hanger and bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown View Post
    Pull the der hanger and grease all the mating surfaces including the bolt.
    Thanks guys! I thought I had seen something like that around when I first got it, but couldn't remember what it was. Will check it out asap.

mtbr member
    What DT said ^^^^

The derailleur hanger turned out to be the creaking on my DW Spot.. which I found out after having changed just about every other single component on the bike (of course...!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My 5 spot had an incessant creak recently, greased the hanger, no change. Long story short, the upper shock eyelet bushing on my CTD needed to be lubed. Problem solved.

Took apart the hanger, cleaned and greased, still creaking. Pretty sure it is my pivot with the blemish on it. Question is, why does it keep happening, even with proper care and no filthy wet riding this season. Taking apart the entire rear again next.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    First generation DW-DHR for me with the re-welded head tube. Not a creak since day one. Creaks do drive me nuts and if I have one that doesn't stem from the most basic areas, I clean it top to bottom and take it to a mechanic.

Then they get to go nuts for hours trying to find it.
    I am not a "Role Model"