mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Turner DHR (2006)

Im buying a 2006 DHR from a buddy of mine. This will be my first DH bike. Any comments on how this bike handles? Read the reviews and there all good.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Drill it and go fast :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Fun with a Turner DHR and a hacksaw, or how I lowered my DHR - Page 3

Pictures a little down there.
    Did this myself, definatley made the bike better and a little more "modern".
    ----------------------------------------
    Jorgen
    Trondheim, Norway
    Spec Stumpy Comp FSR 29er
    Turner DHR 2005, drilled

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Been thinking about this mod too. I just can't bring myself to drill into my beloved DHR. Why doesn"t Turner sell already modded rearend? Seem there are quite a few old ones still around and a few of us who would rather tweek then buy new.

What I really need is flat crowns for my 888.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post
    Why doesn"t Turner sell already modded rearend? [/IMG]
    They do.

It comes with a modded front end too!

I've always thought it would be pretty reasonable to come up with a slightly different linkage and get ahold of a machine shop with a cnc setup to make it work.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A new frame then? I should have asked Greg about the 8mm offset hole, last year before I had him do the fresh PC and rebuild. Would just a angle headset lower the BB too? Or is my thought process way off?

mtbr member
    A new frame then? I should have asked Greg about the 8mm offset hole, last year before I had him do the fresh PC and rebuild. Would just a angle headset lower the BB too? Or is my thought process way off?
    Get some K9 or Works cups to slacken that beast out 2 degrees. It will lower the BB, but not by much. If you drilled the rear & added the cups you would have one low, slack mofo on your hands

Now with flavor!!
    Yeah what he said^ I'm not sure I'd want to ride the slack beast that creates though.

The new frame comment was just a joke.

Lots and lots of people have done the drill mod. I've ridden a buddy's old square tuber with it and I think it's worth doing. Just be really really careful about making sure you don't go so far back that the shock spring mount plate hits the linkage.

If that scares you too much, you do the slacker headset and like you said, just make sure you get your fork as low as you can. Getting rid of those tall crowns and doing the headset will certainly lower your bb. Not as much as drilling the swingarm but not as stressful either.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I knew you were kidding. I think the flat crowns and 1 degree slacker would breath some new life into my "old school" DHR.

Now with flavor!!
    Go flat crowns and 2 degrees.

You'll thank me later

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Been thinking about this mod too. I just can't bring myself to drill into my beloved DHR. Why doesn"t Turner sell already modded rearend? Seem there are quite a few old ones still around and a few of us who would rather tweek then buy new.

What I really need is flat crowns for my 888.
    nice man. I'm having my 2006 dhr powder coated now, should have it back on Monday. Im upgrading all of the parts on the bike. I decided on high gloss black (frame) and going with blue anodized bars, seatpost,crank arms 2011 elixer 5's and a blue anodized stem. I ordered a new needle bearing kit from Turner and just had the rear shock "pushed". I cant wait. I did notice the frame has been drilled. Does it make that much of a difference on how it handles? I live in Pa so we have lots of rocks and huge drops. Im new to the dh. Been riding for 5 years now. Mostly all mountain is what Im into. I'll post a pic when Im done!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    From what I have read the drill mod gives them a lower BB and slackens the head angle. Which greatly improves corning. Slacker/ Lower = Faster. Sounds like you are going to have a killer build post pics as it comes together. I'm sending my rear shock to Avalanche, speed sensitive mod is perfect for my riding style, and I plan on spending the $ for some flat crowns and new handlebars; lower my front end 1-2 inches. After that I might be drill'n.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

I few action shots from a hike a bike DH trail