Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turner CX Disc

Wicketed

Turner CX Disc

What's the word on this beauty?????

Name:  6o301w.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  61.5 KB
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    none I guess, we have no info - apart from someone is getting this proto delivered

Not Bad
    Yeah me, next week, that's my bike in the picture above.

I will let you know my thoughts when it gets here.

Not Bad
    I think Turner had a few non disc frames out testing over the past few years and there was a very limited prototype run of the disc version last year. This is the last of them. I do believe they will launch a production version at some point this year though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice bike Just J. I see there are a couple frames for sale in the web store. Do you happen to know how big a rear tire you could fit?

Not Bad

Turner CX Disc

Thank you! I can tell you next week, I intend on running something fairly chunky at some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This should fit a measured 38 tire so it can do farm and cart roads. It is well above average tire clearance for a CX bike. I tried to get as much clearance as possible, so it can be up tired for a sprightly gravel bike as well as CX bike. I KNOW the gravel aficionados want loooowwww and loooonnnggg for bombing dirt roads but I did not want a gravel specific bike as it is WAY easier to race a CX bike in the gravel than it is to race a gravel bike in CX! That said, J, will find that bike an solid flier at speed. It is way more stable than the previous frames we were testing and racing. I have this bikes 'sister' set up SS and in the rough it's line holding is surprising at times, for a skinny tired bendy bar bike!

Let me know what you think...

Not Bad

Turner CX Disc

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    This should fit a measured 38 tire so it can do farm and cart roads. It is well above average tire clearance for a CX bike. I tried to get as much clearance as possible, so it can be up tired for a sprightly gravel bike as well as CX bike. I KNOW the gravel aficionados want loooowwww and loooonnnggg for bombing dirt roads but I did not want a gravel specific bike as it is WAY easier to race a CX bike in the gravel than it is to race a gravel bike in CX! That said, J, will find that bike an solid flier at speed. It is way more stable than the previous frames we were testing and racing. I have this bikes 'sister' set up SS and in the rough it's line holding is surprising at times, for a skinny tired bendy bar bike!

I certainly will do, I'm really looking forward to swinging my leg over it! 😊👍

Wicketed
    I have this bikes 'sister' set up SS and in the rough it's line holding is surprising at times, for a skinny tired bendy bar bike!

I think we need photo's of the sister
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Ha, this was what I was thinking about. Unless you're rolling in cash, most folks I know have to make a cross bike and gravel bike do double duty. To be honest, I'm pretty skeptical about gravel bike geo etc. Cross bikes work just fine...but the ability to fit a big tire in there does make a difference. 56 in raw please!

climber
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Unless you're rolling in cash, most folks I know have to make a cross bike and gravel bike do double duty. 56 in raw please!
    I would be interested in a Turner CX bike too. For me, an old school (steel) 54x56 road bike fits like a glove. I plan to try some cross racing this year. What size do you cross racers recommend for me?

Lefty Enthusiast
    Jun 2011
    Surly nailed the geometry on their straggler. Comes with 41mm tires but can run certain tires as big as 50mm. The toe overlap might be weird for some but this thing shreds. Would love to see it done with a modern slope triangle to get more headtube & seatpost and less spacers out of it though.

Straggler | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Last edited by madamfunk; 02-21-2015 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Is this US made?
    Killing it with close inspection.

Lefty Enthusiast
    Jun 2011
    No I wish it was, nice steel construction though. Does turner intend to make the CX bike in the US? I'll be in line for one if it is.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Hey Dave whats the sizing like? Also thru axles or qr

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Made in Taiwan, will be spec'd with the new TRP fork. Geo will be posted sometime closer to release date, and I nailed it. Slope just right, 27.2 post that has enough extension to make it flex, head tube long enough for off road use. good clearance for Nano 40c tires on ENVE XC rims, which is big enough imo... More than that and ride a mtb. As much as I love the Monster Cross look I don't want a monster to pedal miles of pavement and hard pack on. Production frames will be TA front and rear, 135 spacing and complete internal routing. As you know I am not a huge fan of internal on a MTB, but this is a bendy bar bike!

Lefty Enthusiast
    Jun 2011
    Made in Taiwan, will be spec'd with the new TRP fork. Geo will be posted sometime closer to release date, and I nailed it. Slope just right, 27.2 post that has enough extension to make it flex, head tube long enough for off road use. good clearance for Nano 40c tires on ENVE XC rims, which is big enough imo... More than that and ride a mtb. As much as I love the Monster Cross look I don't want a monster to pedal miles of pavement and hard pack on. Production frames will be TA front and rear, 135 spacing and complete internal routing. As you know I am not a huge fan of internal on a MTB, but this is a bendy bar bike!
    Yes! Love that you thought about getting a compliant 27.2 in there. Also stoked about thru-axles. I'm still in line for one

Not Bad

Turner CX Disc

Thru axles were the one thing I really wanted but I also wanted to get in there early with the thinking that if I like it (and I'm sure I will) I'll upgrade to the production frame later on.

Not Bad

Turner CX Disc

It's here!...

Hopefully the other box will arrive tomorrow just in time for the weekend.

mtbr member
    So is cable/hydro routing zip tying to the frame? (I know this is a proto)

Not Bad

Turner CX Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    So is cable/hydro routing zip tying to the frame? (I know this is a proto)
    No it's full internal routing and of the best I've seen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wooohoooo. Let the fun begin.

I know you wanted TAs as do most buyers today and for that reason production frames will be TA front and rear. But, not one of the other proto sisters has lost a wheel due to QR's and before that tens of thousands of, nay, hundreds of thousands of QR mtbs were built, raced and ridden for millions of miles/hours WITH disc brakes. They worked just fine, and the argument about 'better alignment' I see almost daily is BS.

Not Bad

Turner CX Disc

Wooohoooo. Let the fun begin.

I know you wanted TAs as do most buyers today and for that reason production frames will be TA front and rear. But, not one of the other proto sisters has lost a wheel due to QR's and before that tens of thousands of, nay, hundreds of thousands of QR mtbs were built, raced and ridden for millions of miles/hours WITH disc brakes. They worked just fine, and the argument about 'better alignment' I see almost daily is BS.
    Yes I know exactly what you mean, it's like tapered head tubes, non tapered ones didn't exactly feel squirmy but the market expects...

I'm sure we'll be very happy together and I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering more Turners too I'm really impressed with this one, awesome attention to detail and I can't wait to rip on it! 😄

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What is general release date? Closer to cross season?

Wicketed
    Looks good, Just J. Get those full build photo's sorted please :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast