Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turner CX Bike

on a routine expedition

Turner CX Bike

mtbr member

Sweet!

'Cross bikes absolutely rule! The steel single speed can't be far away now...
    'The Fear' is your friend...

Armor by Band-Aid

Hmmm....

Nice color and all... but I've gotta say I prefer my CX bike which features a TNT pivot!!!

mtbr member

Amazing action shots!

And one hell of an original build - beautiful bike, Terminaut.

Mine's a little less wild, but it gets an awful lot of use. 120km this last Sunday - F U N !

Vicious Cycles Slider
    'The Fear' is your friend...

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano

Mine's a little less wild, but it gets an awful lot of use. 120km this last Sunday - F U N !

Vicious Cycles Slider
    Thanks... Nice build on your rig as well. I really like the looks of the panels.

I used to put a lot of miles on mine, riding all the trails that I'd normally ride on my mountain bike. Lately it's been a little neglected as I've been enjoying my RFX too much.

jra
    Ohhhhh yeah! It's that time of the year again. That's a sweet looking ride for sure!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    man that cog is sweet! i used to have one but had to sell it to buy my escalade. would love to see the whole bike term. cummon man. show that baby off!
    No, I'm NOT back!

MK_
    carpe maņana

couple more

shots of the Turner CX being built

_MK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

MK_
    carpe maņana

and a few

of Turner HTs.

_MK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    of Turner HTs.

_MK
    Now that's a really odd build with those tires. What's that all about?

Armor by Band-Aid
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    man that cog is sweet! i used to have one but had to sell it to buy my escalade. would love to see the whole bike term. cummon man. show that baby off!
    You can click on the photo or link and it'll lead to a whole 'nother page with photos. The bike has about as much titanium as I could get on it... ...but enough about non-Turner rigs!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    holy crap thats a nice machine! and those pics are right sick! im impressed as hell term.

i bet the 700c wheels on the h/t are for pre race warm ups? all part of the marketing plan to be seen on a turner mtn bike at all times? can-o-ale did the same kinda thing back in 98 i think it was, even sold a bike with both sets of wheels/tires. ok. im done. thanx term.
    No, I'm NOT back!

KDK
    mtbr member
    Are these bikes "One-offs" to accomodate the Maxxis team, or will they be available to the general public as well ?

Are they made by Turner Bikes ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaut
    You can click on the photo or link and it'll lead to a whole 'nother page with photos. The bike has about as much titanium as I could get on it... ...but enough about non-Turner rigs!

Crickey Terminaut!

You've got some skills mate. I'd struggle to ride that lot on my flux! Looks like I need to go practice a bit, but it is a sweet build. Keep posting the great pictures - it's approaching winter over here in the UK and all our trails will soon be inches deep in mud and slime Its nice to dream of sunnier locations and dry singletrack!

Mfezi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KDK
    Are these bikes "One-offs" to accomodate the Maxxis team, or will they be available to the general public as well ?

Are they made by Turner Bikes ?
    If they were availible and built by Turner AND had disc mounts I'd buy one right now. Gonna order me a Kona Sutra instead.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano

Vicious Cycles Slider
    Nice rig Deano, how does the fork handle the disc brake? I bought a Redline and put some discs on it and the front end seems to flex a bit under hard braking, I'm thinking about a carbon fork for it. My buddy has one on his cross and the bike seems to be more stable during braking.

Here she is-

mtbr member
    man...what i would give to be a team mechanic.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    That Turner CX bike looks like it's a re-painted Redline.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaut
    Now that's a really odd build with those tires. What's that all about?
    The XC pro guys ride around on the roads on those bikes, which are similar to their XC race rigs except they have road tires. It keeps the fit and feel of their race bikes, so they can just hop on them and rip.
    I would like to have one of those bikes instead of a road bike.
    SEI Racing

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Oh man...you're bringing that bogus smack to the wrong place.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick
    Oh man...you're bringing that bogus smack to the wrong place.

Huh?

I'm sure DT (who doesn't fabricate his own bikes) paid SAPA for a small run of hardtails and CX bikes, rather than purchasing existing frames and paying a couple hundred to repaint and sticker them. It's a fairly common practice in pro road and MTB racing. Masi and Pegoretti never built frames to be painted team colors for pro roadies .

The truth will come out eventually and we'll find out what the real situation is.

My money is on that frame being a major brand repaint. I'm sure it's just coincidence that it's using the same dropouts and cable stop mount locations as the Conquest Pro. It's probably also coincidental that this "Turner" has the same "cold worked" left fork blade to make clearance for disk rotors.

With some orange Krylon and knowledge of a local vinyl sticker cutter, you too can have your very own team Turner CX bike with an MSRP of 1549.99.
    Last edited by smudge; 10-05-2005 at 10:45 AM.

jra
    Huh?

I'm sure DT (who doesn't fabricate his own bikes) paid SAPA for a small run of hardtails and CX bikes, rather than purchasing existing frames and paying a couple hundred to repaint and sticker them. It's a fairly common practice in pro road and MTB racing. Masi and Pegoretti never built frames to be painted team colors for pro roadies .

The truth will come out eventually and we'll find out what the real situation is.

My money is on that frame being a major brand repaint. I'm sure it's just coincidence that it's using the same dropouts and cable stop mount locations as the Conquest Pro. It's probably also coincidental that this "Turner" has the same "cold worked" left fork blade to make clearance for disk rotors.

With some orange Krylon and knowledge of a local vinyl sticker cutter, you too can have your very own team Turner CX bike with an MSRP of 1549.99.
    Ya mean the Huffy 7-11 team race bikes weren't made by...Huffy?

EZ smudger...please observe the inserted in my reply. FWIW, any Masi built after the 70's California Masi does nothing for me anyway. I'm old school for roadie rides. In my eyes road bikes lose class with threadless stems and mix-n-match carbon forks slapped on the front of a frame, thus killing the old frameset concept with angles, wheelbase, etc just as the designer meant them to be.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick
    Ya mean the Huffy 7-11 team race bikes weren't made by...Huffy?

EZ smudger...please observe the inserted in my reply. FWIW, any Masi built after the 70's California Masi does nothing for me anyway. I'm old school for roadie rides. In my eyes road bikes lose class with threadless stems and mix-n-match carbon forks slapped on the front of a frame, thus killing the old frameset concept with angles, wheelbase, etc just as the designer meant them to be.
    Sorry, I must have overlooked that I don't know why, but I tend to get bent out of shape sometimes when people idealize a company or person just based on a name. Sure it's good for the company, but I think that there are a lot of consumers who are misinformed and often make decisions based on what they want to believe rather than actual truth (which can often differ from an idealistic belief...I'm doing my best to steer clear of religious commentary here.)

Anywho, I share your love for old school roadie rides...but I've kept it limited to "old school for me" which means roadies built in the early '90's. I apparently had a Waterford Schwinn (I didn't know it until after I sold it) and still ride a Bridgestone RB-1 from 1992 (although it wasn't originally mine.) More recently, I bought a Pegoretti, which isn't old school, but I was looking for a change. I have to admit, the appearance of the welds are fantastic, but I'll reserve judging the ride quality until it's built up.

Sorry for getting all whacked out on you. I just felt that some people were in need of a bit of an education.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Dude, I think your right! The details look the same, the fork is definitely the same. Cool!, I'm gonna have it painted orange and buy a sticker kit I haven't been real happy with the fork/disc brake combo but if it's good enough for Kabush then maybe I'll keep it.

jra
    Sorry, I must have overlooked that I don't know why, but I tend to get bent out of shape sometimes when people idealize a company or person just based on a name. Sure it's good for the company, but I think that there are a lot of consumers who are misinformed and often make decisions based on what they want to believe rather than actual truth (which can often differ from an idealistic belief...I'm doing my best to steer clear of religious commentary here.)

Anywho, I share your love for old school roadie rides...but I've kept it limited to "old school for me" which means roadies built in the early '90's. I apparently had a Waterford Schwinn (I didn't know it until after I sold it) and still ride a Bridgestone RB-1 from 1992 (although it wasn't originally mine.) More recently, I bought a Pegoretti, which isn't old school, but I was looking for a change. I have to admit, the appearance of the welds are fantastic, but I'll reserve judging the ride quality until it's built up.

Sorry for getting all whacked out on you. I just felt that some people were in need of a bit of an education.
    No worries. You don't have to apologize to me at all. This is a public forum - let you opinions be heard...besides, you have an old B-stone! I sold my yellow/white '92 RB-1 last summer after I got tired of seeing it collecting dust. A nice riding bike if not a little twitchy on tectured descents at speed. The Waterford Schwinns are supposed to be great rides. Not to take this too far off topic, but my current favorite roadie is a traffic splitting '82 Merckx fixee - brake-free and 38 c-c deep drops...it sure can makes the commute a rush at times!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast