mtbr member

Turner for Clydesdale

Hey guys...i would like to know what kind of Turner i should get. I'm 220+ but once i start riding i kno the pounds will come off. I'm been riding for about 10 years but haven't been riding for the past 4 years. looking to get a new bike. Any insight will help.

Thanks in advance
    "Live, Live, Live!. Life is a banquet but most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    What type of riding do you plan on doing?
    [SIZE="3"]24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

banned
    height?

mtbr member
    Height, 5'10". I plan on doing some rock beds, XC with 1 - 2 ft drops. looking to some all mountain stuff. Would like to go to some mild ski areas in the New Jersey area, (mountain creek). Nothing crazy at all. Too old for all that stuff.
    "Live, Live, Live!. Life is a banquet but most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You sound like a great candidate for a 5 Spot. You could also go with a Flux, but with your "all mountain" quote and the fact that you're older, I would stick with a Spot. As far as sizing, I'm guessing here, but I would say Medium. I'm 5'11.5" and ride a large and if I was any shorter I think I would drop to a Medium. Good luck, either way you're about to pick up one stellar ride!

mtbr member
    Also...if any, what's the difference between bushings and bearings as far as strength, durability, and maintenance are concerned?

mtbr member

The bushing system is awesome.

I had an XCE with over four years of hard riding on it and never a single squeak or creak out of it. Maintenenace amounted to a quick shot of lube to the grease ports every several months or so. I cannot STAND A CREAKY bike and this was the first full suspension bike I have ever owned that was silent (except for the saddle on occasion, I'm a clyde as well and wear saddles quickly).

banned
    The bushings last for a long time with only a small bit of care. I still have yet to wear a set out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ditto what Q said.....As far as strength, durability & maintenance goes, you cannot beat the bushings. I've had my Spot for 2.5 years, ride 2-3 times a week year round, and haven't heard so much as a mouse fart out of the frame. Unreal I must say!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase810
    Height, 5'10". I plan on doing some rock beds, XC with 1 - 2 ft drops. looking to some all mountain stuff. Would like to go to some mild ski areas in the New Jersey area, (mountain creek). Nothing crazy at all. Too old for all that stuff.
    Good thing you mentioned location. I know Creek and was wondering what trails you'll be doing out there because if you're doing those trails with the big rocks and boulders, you could go up a bit with the RFX, despite not doing the major jumps.

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    I would think your weight would be fine for a 5 Spot - size Medium. Feel free to call or email Turner and ask them. They are the best and will help you out. If you wanted a stronger frame, you could go with the RFX (6in travel). Or - you could turn an RFX into a 5Pack (RFX frame w/5" travel) and go with that. One more option that would be cheaper and still strong would be a used Burner with XR rockers. I believe the Burner frame is as strong as a 5 Spot. This option would give you 4" of travel. From your discription though, it does sound like 5 Spot is the ticket. Good luck!
    [SIZE="3"]24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
    - Stephen Wright
    [/SIZE]

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by murphie
    Or - you could turn an RFX into a 5Pack (RFX frame w/5" travel) and go with that.
    I don't think that's an option anymore (at least if one wants a new frame). It's possible a 5 Pack can be found used, or pieced together used from multiple sources, but IIRC Turner himself said the 5 Pack is no more as its own model.

SASQUATCH!
    I'm about 220lbs and ride much the same stuff as you're describing. I ride about 5 days every week, weather permitting, and I love my 5 spot. Bushings are silent and it takes next to nothing to keep em that way. It would be a great match for your current riding IMHO.

If your riding evolves into bigger stuff, you can always sell your front triangle and go for the 5 pack config, or just sell the whole frame and go 6 pack. I've never heard of anyone having trouble unloading a used Turner.

Making fat cool since '71

Pack or spot

At your weight (and you will lose it like you said) the Spot is groovy. If you are not going to ever jam anything large it will stay with you till you just can't ride any longer.

I'm on an XL '06 Spack (6'3" @ 250) and it's been good for everything from all day grinder/"epic" trails to shuttle days. Head-high drops, large jumps with trannys, etc have been no problem. It's taken abuse and no worries. As far as the bearing V. bushing thing all I can say is it's quieter than previous bikes with bearings and super stiff/stable.

Sorry I can't help you with sizing, but as it was already stated if you call Turner they will be in a position to have an opinion as would (hopefully) a Turner dealer. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This is so easy. You're big. You haven't ridden much in awhile, so your finesse will be off for awhile. You ride fairly rocky areas, with occasional lift-served days. You need an RFX.

THEN, in about a year when you shed down to around 185 due to the pure joy of riding your new toy, just treat yourself to a Flux and you will have the perfect quiver!

You're very welcome.

However, if you seriously NEVER see yourself owning two bikes, I'd go 5-Spot. With two sets of wheels and two different shocks (one air, one coil), it rides like two different bikes.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    This is so easy. You're big. You haven't ridden much in awhile, so your finesse will be off for awhile. You ride fairly rocky areas, with occasional lift-served days. You need an RFX.

THEN, in about a year when you shed down to around 185 due to the pure joy of riding your new toy, just treat yourself to a Flux and you will have the perfect quiver!

You're very welcome.

However, if you seriously NEVER see yourself owning two bikes, I'd go 5-Spot. With two sets of wheels and two different shocks (one air, one coil), it rides like two different bikes.
    Well thanks kosmo looking forward to it.

BTW - i already have a 4 inch bike so this will be my bike for lift-served days

SASQUATCH!
    BTW - i already have a 4 inch bike so this will be my bike for lift-served days
    That's a key bit of info. I change my vote to 6Pack.

mtbr member
    OK...i'm a little confused about the models. I kno about the 5 Spot. But, i've been on the Turner website and dont see a 6 pack. Can someone please explain the models to me. I've seen the 5 Spot and RFX on the website.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase810
    OK...i'm a little confused about the models. I kno about the 5 Spot. But, i've been on the Turner website and dont see a 6 pack. Can someone please explain the models to me. I've seen the 5 Spot and RFX on the website.
    RFX = 6-Pack

The name was changed to protect the innocent, or something like that.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

SASQUATCH!
    My bad. I'm mentally challenged.

mtbr member
    I must admit...more going on over in this forum than the ellsworth forum....and me likes Lots of info..