mtbr member
    Mar 2004

turner burner for other than xc

my neighbor will sell me a practically new 03 burner frame for 500 bucks I want to buy it so I can bash it around! I have seen a couple of mountain cross or 4x racers on burners so I figure they are pretty tough. I want to use it for occasional dirtjumping/skate park/4x but mostly XC, what do you guys think? will it hold up?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You would break it! I must buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by tony0643
    my neighbor will sell me a practically new 03 burner frame for 500 bucks I want to buy it so I can bash it around! I have seen a couple of mountain cross or 4x racers on burners so I figure they are pretty tough. I want to use it for occasional dirtjumping/skate park/4x but mostly XC, what do you guys think? will it hold up?
    No, I think the Burner frame would handle quite a bit of abuse. I bet you could jump it without any huge problems. You might blow up the shock. Lots of drops would break the frame though. I would not do that to my Spot.

Jaybo

No, that's not phonetic
    You don't know whether or not the frames raced at Sea Otter were stock, or used beefed up tubing.

If you come up horribly short on a double, you could fold the bike in half. If you don't stuff the bike and ride smoothly, I bet it would last a long time. In other words, it was not built for that purpose so it is up to your skills. For the same price, you could get a hardtail designed for that purpose. Your call.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thats true

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You don't know whether or not the frames raced at Sea Otter were stock, or used beefed up tubing.
    thats true indeed.
    I have a brand new 5 spot coming soon, but I wouldnt dare abuse my spot like that! I figure the burner will be only 500 bucks out of my pocket because I have a donor bike for parts to build the burner up. I think my wife will end up riding the burner more than me once my spot gets here. so I will use the burner only when I want to practice 4x/ DJ stuff. thaks for your input. it would be nice if I could shell out the dough for a turner rail!!