Thread: Turner Burner!

Hisforever

Turner Burner!

Long story short. The Burner is a kick ass bike.

Any idea what rear shock i2i would yield lower cog & less head angle???
    the fox ctd is working ok, just always prefer coil, air has this weird feeling I cant seem to get used to sometimes. looking to go less than 13.1"bb and 67 HA by modifying an avy chubby. Does anyone have experience with craig and dw tuning???

The long story:

The past few years I picked up the dirtbike buzz pretty good and of course have another time consuming hobby which kept me from riding as much as I would have liked. One thing I can share about the crossover is: riding dirtbikes does NOT help with riding mountain bikes, it is the opposite for me actually. When you get back on a mtb after the time on the moto it feels very sketchy. The highline being so solid did a good job at this and so does this Burner with about 10lbs less chunk. I know its a new bike and we all like our new bikes but the Burner has kept me from wanting to ride my other bikes,-even the motos. The Burner is easy to ride, rails, rolls over stuff good, and feels really balanced.

I tried a transition covert 27.5 that was pretty nice, but the burner feels better for me. at 5'10 I picked an orange ano medium. Basic build includes a 35mm stem which made the Burner more similar to the dhr compared to the 50mm so its stayin, widest bars you can get and a sweet set of hadley wheels wrapped in hr II's. if you are on the fence, the Turner / Dw frame is hard to beat. Try one, go to a demo ride, or rent one, then set it up right, ride, and enjoy.
    Last edited by SHAHEEB; 09-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    Long story short. The Burner is a kick ass bike.

Any idea what rear shock i2i would yield lower cog & less head angle???
    the fox ctd is working ok, just always prefer coil
    Hey Robbie, glad to hear you're diggin' the Burner.

I'm with you on the coil- I actually have a Chubie ready to go on my 5 Spot whenever I get it back up and running. Craig seemed well acquainted with the DW Turners, but I didn't inquire about the possibility of a shorter eye to eye (ran one on my '08 RFX with great success though). He does list a 7.25x2.0 option for the Chubie, (as opposed to the stock 7.5x2.0), but you'd want to check for tire clearance at bottom out (i.e. 5.25" i2i). Pretty sure something would hit on the Spot, but it might work on the Burner with its longer stays and lack of seat stay brace?

Another option might be an angle set of some sort (I think you can get them for 44mm heat tubes and tapered steerer). Would obviously slacken the head tube angle much like a shorter shock, but should also lower the BB/COG a hair too (maybe 1/8")?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    184x44mm looks doable... 66 HA, 1/2 inch lower BB and 120mm of travel. If you have a shock like that lying around it can be a funny experiment, but if you have to buy it I'm not sure. Angleset on the other hand is a safe bet.

~~~~~~~~
    I'd work with suspension tuning first and stick with 7.5x2 and standard headset. Try getting a rear shock setup that will allow you to run more sag but still be progressive. Not sure about shimming the ctd, but calling Avy and PUSH for their advice is a good start. You will want to have the fork dialed in too so it doesn't sag too much and provides support through the stroke.

Another idea is a CCDB, they are slightly less than 7.5x2 with plenty of adjustments. I will probably send a Fox coil off to PUSH for custom tuning as that is the most economical. Those are the only coil shocks I've been able to find to fit besides avy.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    haha...try telling Craig that you want your shock set up to run more sag. Lemme know what he says.
    I only suggested he call and ask their advice, my sag comments were directed at his current setup. Just saying if the suspension is dialed there shouldn't be any questioning the stock geo, unless you are riding with someone whose bike is slacker and lower than yours and they are faster.

~~~~~~~~
    doh, just looked at PUSH site and no more parts for my old van rc.

we need make friends at xfusion, saw a guy with a Revel on his bike a couple weeks ago, I think he might know something about suspension...

Yes, that's fonetic
    No, but he got into the suspension game pretty early.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    No, but he got into the suspension game pretty early.
    that might be an understatement, and maybe top secret too?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Meh, no state secrets were revealed.

Hisforever
    called craig and dared not to say I'd rather run more sag

Decided to go with the stock 7.5 x 2.0 this time. He said its prolly a bad idea due to possible leverage curve issues but DT and DW would be the authority on this obviously.

For the record, the bike is solid as is but the tinkerer in me is curious...
    Jesus Saves