Thread: Turner Burner

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Turner Burner

I'm an intermediate rider in my early 40s who doesn't bomb it down hills but likes to bite off more than he can chew.

So I was at Outerbike in Moab this year and here is what I learned...1) Going to one of the top mountain bike riding spots in the world at a point in your life when you're a bit out of shape is not a good idea 2) Invest in a full face helmet 3) FORGET the weight...get a comfortable gel padded saddle 4) clip in pedals are for road bikers...platform all the way. 5) Better to err on the side of smaller frame.

Here's what else I learned...the 27.5 inch wheel will some time in the near future dominate the mountain bike wheel. IMO 29er's are for cross country race types (not all) b/c it's more efficient. It's also good for people who are willing to compromise agility for comfort. Sort of like the type that prefer SUVs over mid engine sports cars. The 27.5 wheel offers a very noticeable improvement over the 26er in terms of stability (especially in resisting washout on downwhill truns) and grip but not a comparable penalty in terms of agility. Almost like it's beyond the half way point between 26 & 29 on benefit but well below that halfway point on compromise. Now on to the Turner Burner.

The Turner Burner was the best bike I tried all weekend...no contest. Was it the most agile...no. Was it the most flickable...no. Was it the most plush on the downhills...no. But it was the most pedal bob resisting platform. Most of all it was by far the most fun! I kept running different bikes around the same 2.5 mile loop. The Burner was the only bike (even when I was exhausted) that made me feel fearless and like a better rider. The only bike no one (not even the tools wearing spandex shorts) could pass me while I was on it. (BTW I tested other 27.5 bikes)

I'm not some mountain biking expert but I've done my homework and tried a good variety of all mountain and cross country bikes. The Burner is a standout. It's not hard to believe the Burner will be a huge success and help usher in a new era of 27.5 inch wheel ubiquity.

GAME ON!
    i think people are fawning over 650b like they were over 29ers a few years ago. in time, we will know the truth about the wheel size but it's just too early to define it as the best solution. we know how the 29er thing played out.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    ...it's just too early to define it as the best solution
    While I agree with what you are saying I'd like to point out: Best solution to what? There is no 'best' wheel size. I'm a firm believer that each size has it's pros and cons depending on what one's looking for.
    Much of the whole size push is asinine. There is no best solution for everyone because of the diversity of styles we have in mtb'ing. Road is a lot different, not a lot of variety to the sport and hence the narrow tool set.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Pedroll: there has been some grumbling about the Burner's low BB. did you experience a lot of noticeable pedal strikes at Outerbike? thanx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sorry for the delayed response. Didn't notice any real problem with pedal strikes. I road the initial demo line bikes. The production frame has a BB height of 13.25" which is pretty comparable to other frames in this category.

BTW...I'm putting my money where my mouth (or keyboard) is. Just ordered my Burner frame in medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    In the 650B round up on MTBR , a comment by the authors on Jan 16 indicates:

Other 650b bikes on the horizon are:
    -Turner Burner 650b (which Francis and I have both demo’ed, but is currently being reworked)

Anyone know what that's all about? The Burner is already in production, so I'm not sure if these guys are just misinformed or what.

mtbr member

Slightly steeper HA and higher BB

So many complained about the low BB that they tweaked the design a little. I rode the lower BB and had no issues but some areas have more clearence needs than in my area; don't know how much difference a 1/4" makes but I hope to test the new version soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    In the 650B round up on MTBR , a comment by the authors on Jan 16 indicates:

Other 650b bikes on the horizon are:
    -Turner Burner 650b (which Francis and I have both demo’ed, but is currently being reworked)

Anyone know what that's all about? The Burner is already in production, so I'm not sure if these guys are just misinformed or what.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, I know DT increased BB height to 13.5", but that was a little while ago. Since production has begun and first product released, the comment that it is still being reworked struck me as odd.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

I think it's done

I called to see if they have a demo bike built using the revised geo but they said that it'll likely be late Feb or March because they are busy filling orders with the latest production.
    Yeah, I know DT increased BB height to 13.5", but that was a little while ago. Since production has begun and first product released, the comment that it is still being reworked struck me as odd.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think the pedal strike thing is a bit over emphasized. Didn't really notice it while riding out in Moab. Might be more a problem for those in areas w/ a lot of root filled ruts. Whatever your reservations may be I strongly urge all of you to get some saddle time on a Burner before dismissing it. If you're in the market for a trail bike I'm confident you'll put it near or at the top of your list once you try it! BTW...all the parts for my beauty should be here by the end of next week so I'll be sure to update this post with first riding impressions. Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroll View Post
    I think the pedal strike thing is a bit over emphasized. Didn't really notice it while riding out in Moab. Might be more a problem for those in areas w/ a lot of root filled ruts. Whatever your reservations may be I strongly urge all of you to get some saddle time on a Burner before dismissing it. If you're in the market for a trail bike I'm confident you'll put it near or at the top of your list once you try it! BTW...all the parts for my beauty should be here by the end of next week so I'll be sure to update this post with first riding impressions. Enjoy the ride!
    Looking forward to your review.

mtbr member

So how will the rest of the geometry have to change to raise it 1/4...other stuff must have to move too, hardly seems worth it for 6mm extra hieght..unless all rocks are 6mm higher that 13.25 of course, there must be some other reason , maybe the DW works better with a small tweak if it adjusts an angle in the links somewhere, i could understand a small tweak there but not for rock strikes..mmm....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

BB bump

I bumped up the BB height for 1 reason only, BB strikes. The more people rode it the more complaints we got. Sure the initial reviewers liked the sub 13 BB, but when I looked at who they were, how much they ride and where they ride compared to the riders and terrain from OutDoorDemo at Bootleg Canyon and OuterBike in Moab with miles of stepped rocks and holes and off camber single track to pedal thru and the sheer number of people complaining of pedal strikes, that did it. Done, back over 13. That 6mm makes a huge difference.

This bike is not for coasting over sanitized flow trails, it is a mountain bike for those riding, ie, pedaling thru rough trail. Low is good but only to a certain extent. The events listed above made it clear to us that we went too far for a 140mm travel bike with proper sag.

DT

mtbr member
    Thanks,

So are the ones arriving in the UK with Silverfish next month going to be 13.25 or the revised 13.5 BB...guess i will wait for the next batch if it makes such a big difference , as i ride as you describe in Northern UK

Ta

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005
    Dudes, if I'm not mistaken the BB height bump was from 12.75" (demo fleet) to 13.25" (production).

6thElement and 1soulrider have recorded 13.25" BB heights on their production Burners at 150mm with Hans Dampfs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

right on Stuffy

thanks for clearing this up. 13.25" is the revised BB, not 13.5. Not sure where that number came from but not us!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    will there be a purple frame in production for your senior citizen riders?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    will there be a purple frame in production for your senior citizen riders?
    Fo? No way.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Thanks...its all moldau94 's fault....

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Fo? No way.
    please dont e-talk to me. i am giving you negative rep just for acknowledging u know me

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks...its all moldau94 's fault....
    Many apologies, thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to getting my Burner in a couple months!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    I bumped up the BB height for 1 reason only, BB strikes. The more people rode it the more complaints we got. Sure the initial reviewers liked the sub 13 BB, but when I looked at who they were, how much they ride and where they ride compared to the riders and terrain from OutDoorDemo at Bootleg Canyon and OuterBike in Moab with miles of stepped rocks and holes and off camber single track to pedal thru and the sheer number of people complaining of pedal strikes, that did it. Done, back over 13. That 6mm makes a huge difference.

This bike is not for coasting over sanitized flow trails, it is a mountain bike for those riding, ie, pedaling thru rough trail. Low is good but only to a certain extent. The events listed above made it clear to us that we went too far for a 140mm travel bike with proper sag.

DT
    Once again, good to see you figuring some things out!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post

DT
    I just think it's cool that Dave Turner is interacting with his customers directly in this forum. What better way to learn what we think! Every product owner should do this regardless of what you are building.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    please dont e-talk to me. i am giving you negative rep just for acknowledging u know me
    Good to see you haven't changed.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett