Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Turner Burner

mtbr member

Turner Burner

Got to spend some time on a Burner today at Interbike. Felt really good, it was a good build, with carbon enve wheels, didnt weigh it but it was in the 27-28 lb range. Only issue I had with it was that I felt it was a bit firm on square edge bumps both climbing and descending, it didnt feel like it clawed its way up and over, more like it bounced up and over. Could have benefited from a dropper post as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner-interbike-2012-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    is that still a proto version or the final do you know/think? looks very good

mtbr member
    Interbike postings have returned! Keep them coming Craig.

mtbr member
    Krob and I were tag teaming the bikes, so look for a full, more detailed review from the master. It was still a prototype

mtbr member
    Craigstr,
    Thanks for the post on the Burner, know you’re a Titus guy, so thanks again for the fun post. Do you think the "bit firm on square edge bumps both climbing and descending" has anything to do with the tune of the RockShox? In my limited experience, I've noticed RS being firmer/more progressive.

Additionally, did you spy any other Turner models with significant changes?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    I'll get my full report up tonight on the All Mountain forum but I really dug the Burner. It climbed really well and was really fun on faster, semi-chunk like the Caldera descent. The bigger wheels weren't hugely noticely but I could feel some extra momentum carrying effect on climbing and pushing it in more rolling stuff.

I suspect the hanging up on/skipping over square edge rocks that Craig mentioned was at least part shock tune, part just having stepped off a 29er 5inch travel Trance, and part just the way Bootleg Canyon brings out the worst in any suspension.

I know the rear end could be made to feel better.... because my 5 Spot feels better than that. I rode it four days out at Cottonwood and Cowboy trails a couple weeks ago and was quite pleased with how it handled both the faster rocky flow of Cottonwood and the gnarlier, squared edged chunk of Cowboy trails.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-19-2012 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    KRob,

AWESOME! Thanks a ton...it almost feels like Christmas. I look forward to your full report!
    Have fun at Interbike and thank in advance for the spy reports!

Cheers,

mtbr member

Could be..

Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Craigstr,
    Thanks for the post on the Burner, know you’re a Titus guy, so thanks again for the fun post. Do you think the "bit firm on square edge bumps both climbing and descending" has anything to do with the tune of the RockShox? In my limited experience, I've noticed RS being firmer/more progressive.

Additionally, did you spy any other Turner models with significant changes?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Krob has more experience with the DW suspension. I am a die hard horst link guy, everything else feels a bit odd to me. It very well could have been a shock tune thing. That being said the Maestro on the Trance X 29 felt incredible to me.

aka DJ Papi
    Hi KRob. Can you post some pics of the Turner booth for those of us can't/won't/can't afford to go to Interbike? hehehe. Any other new model of Turner out aside from the Burner?

mtbr member
    Had anyone got a picture of the Burner in size XL?

mtbr member
    What happen to the Interbike Forum? I strongly believe MTBR messed up by getting rid of it. It was one of the cool features of MTBR - getting the low-down from the average person. Every year, I looked forward to reading folks impression on bikes, parties, babes, etc. Instead I am getting my interbike news from other websites and organizations. The official interbike news on MTBR is downright piss-poor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    The official interbike news on MTBR is downright piss-poor.
    Go to Pinkbike. Their mobile site is really nice if you are looking from your phone. Bikerumor has a lot of details as well.
    Last edited by 69erEverything; 09-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    What happen to the Interbike Forum? I strongly believe MTBR messed up by getting rid of it. It was one of the cool features of MTBR - getting the low-down from the average person. Every year, I looked forward to reading folks impression on bikes, parties, babes, etc. Instead I am getting my interbike news from other websites and organizations. The official interbike news on MTBR is downright piss-poor.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Yeah coverage is spotty, there were Pinkbike guys all over the place, we interviewed with them at DSP. Turner had a small booth, 4 bikes, nothing new except the Burner. Nothing really exciting at the show, although there were a ton of people and it now takes two levels of the Sands.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Spec's?? any info this? Thanks

mtbr member
    Didnt see a spec sheet

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    . Only issue I had with it was that I felt it was a bit firm on square edge bumps both climbing and descending, it didnt feel like it clawed its way up and over, more like it bounced up and over.
    The chain was too tight.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    The chain was too tight.
    LOL. Good one..... and I know what you're saying (I think). The chain tightening that creates the pedaling platform for the dw-link may be the cause of this. I have noticed this to greater or lesser extent on every dw-link bike I've ridden, but I know it can be tuned out to some extent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    LOL. Good one..... and I know what you're saying (I think). The chain tightening that creates the pedaling platform for the dw-link may be the cause of this. I have noticed this to greater or lesser extent on every dw-link bike I've ridden, but I know it can be tuned out to some extent.
    You saw what I did there

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Got to spend some time on a Burner today at Interbike. Felt really good, it was a good build, with carbon enve wheels, didnt weigh it but it was in the 27-28 lb range. Only issue I had with it was that I felt it was a bit firm on square edge bumps both climbing and descending, it didnt feel like it clawed its way up and over, more like it bounced up and over. Could have benefited from a dropper post as well.
    over on the Knolly site, you "hated it". here, it felt really good. what's up?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Well the firmness on the square edge bumps was enough to make me not consider it, so many other bikes out there that gobbled it up. The more I thought about it, the more I disliked it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the RWC needle bearing helped lots on my dw Flux and current dw Sultan with the square
    edged stuff.
    Running a RS Monarch rear shock. This keeps bike up further in the stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

differnt strokes

Craigstr I see you are a Titus brand fanboy, and they obviously have superior stuff IYHO, cool so ride your Titus and be happy, that is why you have a bike right?

So where are the reviews of the Burner from the dozens of riders that rode them for 2 days? We had 11 Burners in the dirt for most of the time for 2 full days, and most were ridden by people that were truly impressed when comparing the Burner to the other 650s and trail type bikes. For those that want to actually ride one yourself, come to Moab next month and take one for a ride.

Happy trails

DT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Craigstr I see you are a Titus brand fanboy, and they obviously have superior stuff IYHO, cool so ride your Titus and be happy, that is why you have a bike right?

So where are the reviews of the Burner from the dozens of riders that rode them for 2 days? We had 11 Burners in the dirt for most of the time for 2 full days, and most were ridden by people that were truly impressed when comparing the Burner to the other 650s and trail type bikes. For those that want to actually ride one yourself, come to Moab next month and take one for a ride.

Happy trails

DT
    Well Craigster didn't like it, and he has +4 rep over you, so I'm not interested in a test ride. The others are begging Noel for a ride on the new 650Bilcotin....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Outer Bike

This is at the top of my list to try in Utah,,My intent is to ride all 650's, with the only real hang up being HT or FS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast