Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Turner Burner 650B - Review

Turner Burner Review:
    My Burner was built up about 2 weeks ago and have actually only ridden it in Georgia so far but will be bringing the bike out West soon. I've ridden about 200 miles in Georgia with it so far and can truly say this is the best "one quiver" bike that I've ever ridden. I'm writing this review after completing a solid ride up in North Georgia (Dahlonega - Jake & Bull Mountains) where we covered 43 miles & 6000' of climbing over 4.5 hours. I've also spent time riding the Burner in Ellijay (Pinhotis & Bear Creek) and local Atlanta trails (Chicopee Woods, Fort Yargo, Big Creek, Sope Creek). The bike rips on the descents and climbs like a billy goat. I am now a firm believer in the new 650b/27.5 wheel size...these wheels roll over roots & rocks where 26" bikes have to pick different lines to finesse their way through. On top of the added rollability of the 27.5" wheel size is the higher top end speed that you can carry on wide open sections without any extra effort compared to a 26" bike. The DW-Link suspension is my favorite suspension design and is extremely efficient without any wasted movement when it comes to climbing & feels awesome while descending. My old bike (Giant Trance X) had a 140mm-110mm Talas fork on it and I didn't even once wish that I had a Talas fork while climbing with the Burner...the bike is that well designed. The frame is exceptionally stiff, especially with its 142x12 rear thru axle & 34mm Fox Float fork with QR15 & tapered steerer. The build quality of the frame is really a work of art from the welds & anodized orange finish all the way to the Zerk fittings to eliminate any squeaking at pivots.

The Burner is considered "new school geometry" with a lower Bottom Bracket (I have a pre-production Burner with 12.75" BB height - production models are 13" high), longish Top Tube, and slack Head Angle (67 degrees). Regarding the BB height, I love the confidence-inspiring stability that it provides while descending & haven't had any issues with pedal strikes. The longer TT doesn't feel any longer than any of my previous bikes and is perfect for a shorter, more aggressive stem/wide handlebar combo which also provides additional control and stability on downhills (I'm 5'8" and am using a Medium frame). The head angle is spot on and really rewards you if you know how to handle the bike & counter-steer....you can slice and dice the tight twisty stuff all day long.

Regarding Fox's new CTD system, I was actually impressed with how easy it was to setup & get dialed in so quickly, just set the sag properly & adjust the rebound and that's it! I really enjoyed the smooth Fox suspension on big hits, square edged rocks, and small bumps. I left the bike's suspension in the "trail mode" almost the entire time except for long fireroad climbs when I switched to "climb mode". The Chinese carbon rims are also extremely stiff and feel like a "cheater wheelset" because they accelerate so quickly due to their low weight & are tubeless and very wide (23mm inner width). The rims are great for a high volume casing tire like the 2.35" Nobby Nics which soak up some of the trail's roughness when running low pressures tubeless.

Background:
    I race cat 1 XC and would consider myself an "all-mountain" rider that likes to get aggressive when the trails point downhill by jumping and taking drops, but also likes earning the downhills by climbing to the top. I'm originally from Georgia but have been living in Northern California for the last few months, so have ridden multiple types of trails (tight, twisty, root-filled East coast trails & rocky/dusty West coast trails with long, grunting climbs & epic downhills).

Build info:
    -Turner Burner - Medium w/ Fox CTD w/ Boost Valve Kashima
    • -Fox Float 34 150mm QR15, tapered, Kashima
    • -Light-Bicycle.com Chinese Carbon rims w/ DT 240s (28h Front/32h Rear) tubeless - heavier carbon layup for rear wheel w/ Sapim CX-Rays & DT240 hubs
    • -Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 SnakeSkin TLR F&R w/ 3oz of sealant in each tire (waiting on Hans Dampf for up front)
    • -40mm Syntace Megaforce stem w/ Easton Haven Carbon bar (711mm length)
    • -Full XTR gruppo w/ Shadow Plus rear derailieur & M970 pedals, 38/26 2x10 crank, XT 11-36 cassette
    • -Giant Contact Switch dropper post
    • -Weight 27.75#

Side note:
    I love the Mojo HD and think it is a great bike and actually almost bought one. I was strongly considering a 650b Mojo HD but couldn't pull the trigger because of 2 issues:

1- having rear tire clearance issues forcing me to use narrow/shorter height/smaller knob tires (that were also very light weight, which lacked durability and sidewall protection) was a big deal. Considering the all mountain nature of my build, I could not compromise using a lower volume casing tire just so I wouldn't have any tire rub on the rear yoke, especially when things got muddy. I'd rather have peace of mind from flats with a tire that had sidewall protection and the added benefit of a large volume casing tire (added contact patch, grip, knobs, compliance).

2- increasing the BB height would compromise downhill stability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Burner 650B - Review-photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by deckaudio; 12-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet Crunchy Crackers! That is a nice build. Love the burnt orange ano.

So the Fox 34 is a 150 travel? Just curious if the 160 is also available.

Good report. The Burner is certainly high on my "want" list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

There's a reducer that shortens the fork to 150 but can be removed and converted to 160mm travel. Thanks!

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Nice bike and review

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Looks great, I've been waiting to see some of the protos get posted up
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Turner spec them already dropped to 150mm from Fox, as per a conversation I had with Jarrett earlier.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Killer bike. I will neon the lookout for you. I live in Ellijay so I'm sure we will cross paths. Would love to check the bike out.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

You 're going to get punched in the face....

That report does make me a bit itchy to try a Burner. If I didn't love my 5 spot so much.

Bobo

AOK
    mtbr member
    Sweet ride! I think I saw you out at Chicopee this past weekend. I thought you were on a Flux. Would have stopped to take a closer look if I had seen it was a 650b bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Paste eater
    Looks super fun and sub 28lbs makes me cry thinking about my 34lbs Nomand :/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    Killer bike. I will neon the lookout for you. I live in Ellijay so I'm sure we will cross paths. Would love to check the bike out.
    Ellijay is an awesome place. You're truly lucky. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Sweet ride! I think I saw you out at Chicopee this past weekend. I thought you were on a Flux. Would have stopped to take a closer look if I had seen it was a 650b bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks man, that was me.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Nice
    That's a pretty good overall weight. Did you get a chance to weigh your wheels?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Nice
    That's a pretty good overall weight. Did you get a chance to weigh your wheels?
    The wheel set was 1430 grams. I'll be able to shave more weight eventually and probably get it in the 26# range with the forthcoming thomson dropper post, carbon WTB silverado saddle (I've got the heavier chromoly version right now), XTR centerlock rotors (using normal rotors with problem solver adapters which are kind of heavy). Not sure if I want to spend the extra money on an XTR cassette because it's a wear & tear item, but that would be another significant weight savings.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by deckaudio View Post
    The wheel set was 1430 grams. I'll be able to shave more weight eventually and probably get it in the 26# range with the forthcoming thomson dropper post, carbon WTB silverado saddle (I've got the heavier chromoly version right now), XTR centerlock rotors (using normal rotors with problem solver adapters which are kind of heavy). Not sure if I want to spend the extra money on an XTR cassette because it's a wear & tear item, but that would be another significant weight savings.
    Awesome.
    Thanks!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

aka...appBLING72
    Hey there. I think I saw you at Chicopee as well. You ran into a friend of mine at Big creek the other day. He rides Knolly Chilicotin and Mojo HD. Not at the same time of course:-)

Was curious if you had any insight into a possible carbon version of this bike?

Also, high speed cornering (ie.Pinhoti 2 descent?) compared to the 26". I'm very interested in. 650B/27.5" bike. I ride the mojo HD now, and have a '13 Sworks enduro coming. If you are still in GA would love to hook up with you if you are interested. PM me. Thx!

Arrrghhh!!!

Beauty!

What a beautiful bike.
    You mentioned racing-- would you consider using this as an endurance rig, or would you stick with a more race-specific frame?
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    Hey there. I think I saw you at Chicopee as well. You ran into a friend of mine at Big creek the other day. He rides Knolly Chilicotin and Mojo HD. Not at the same time of course:-)

Was curious if you had any insight into a possible carbon version of this bike?

Also, high speed cornering (ie.Pinhoti 2 descent?) compared to the 26". I'm very interested in. 650B/27.5" bike. I ride the mojo HD now, and have a '13 Sworks enduro coming. If you are still in GA would love to hook up with you if you are interested. PM me. Thx!
    Yeah, I did meet your friend the other day @ BC. I don't know anything about a carbon version of the bike. I was ripping the descent on Pinhoti 2 and the bike performed very well in high speed cornering.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    What a beautiful bike.
    You mentioned racing-- would you consider using this as an endurance rig, or would you stick with a more race-specific frame?
    Good question. I'd consider it...you could use some lighter weight tires and a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost and get the bike into the 25# range pretty easily for an endurance XC race. I spoke to someone at Turner and was told one of the guys has a Burner with Enve AM wheels & the new XX1 group that weighs 24.5#s. Not sure on the build specifics of that bike other than that.

Several times this year, I had to use my Giant Trance X with a dropper post & heavier wheels/tires (Sun Ringle Charger Pros w/ Kenda Nevegal 2.35" tires) during XC races because my race bike was in the shop for warranty. If I can't get my Giant Anthem 29er Advanced (Carbon) frame built up right by the start of next year's XC season, I will use my Burner.

I am a Shimano fan and believe the way I've built the bike up is pretty beefy/durable (I don't want any headaches on the trail). More weight could be shed by going to SRAM componentry which is generally lighter than Shimano & also using CB Eggbeater/Xpedo pedals which are a lot lighter than XTR pedals.

mtbr member
    That is awesome looking!!! I ordered my Burner last month. Getting a lg. black ano.. I live in Woodstock Ga. so maybe we will run into one another one day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman46 View Post
    That is awesome looking!!! I ordered my Burner last month. Getting a lg. black ano.. I live in Woodstock Ga. so maybe we will run into one another one day.
    You're gonna love it! I'll probably run into you at Blankets sometime over the holidays.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Fabulous Looking piece of kit Deck! I want one. I've got a 2010 Flux and a Salsa El-Mariachi Ti so I have no doubt that Turner DW + 650b wheels will produce a fabulous ride.
    We hear the Flux is ceasing production and I'd previously assumed this was the replecement, but II'm noticing that despite the fact that your build is top of the line, your overall wieight is still 27.75lbs. This is almost Sultan territory. Combine all this with your riding background/profile and connections, and I'm drawn to the conclusion your bike is Spot replacement and NOT a Flux replacemmet. The Spot is HUGE but I'm sure the Burner will be a runaway success.
    I think the lightweight agressisve XC bike replacemnet is a tricky problem - but hey I can't think of a better man to put on the case than DT.
    Timmy (from South Coast England)
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 12-08-2012 at 02:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey deckaudio
    How are the cheap Chinese rims holding up? I am considering buy some for a 27.5 build too? Maybe a quick review on the rims?

Committed
    Not sure how deckaudio's hoops are holding up but mine did not. After two failures I lost confidence in mine.

The Stealth Burner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Not sure how deckaudio's hoops are holding up but mine did not. After two failures I lost confidence in mine.

The Stealth Burner
    Any more comparisons between the Spot and Burner? You promised! (:
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast