Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Turner 5 Spot test ride

Rode a large 5 Spot (correct size as 5'10") as a test bike found it a bit steep at front end and too short (front centre) so despite having a great rear suspension the front is not slack or long enough, anyone else found this? The bike should really rip with a 140 mm front end but feels a little perched when pointing down hill, somewhat ruining its great potential, for £2k for a frame in the UK, just not cutting the mustard.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by dogvet
    Rode a large 5 Spot (correct size as 5'10") as a test bike found it a bit steep at front end and too short (front centre) so despite having a great rear suspension the front is not slack or long enough, anyone else found this? The bike should really rip with a 140 mm front end but feels a little perched when pointing down hill, somewhat ruining its great potential, for £2k for a frame in the UK, just not cutting the mustard.
    Sounds like you'd be one of the guys who runs a 160mm fork on the front. I agree that it's a tad short. DT addressed this issue before; from his perspective when he makes the frames longer, people complain it's too long, if he makes them shorter, people complain it's too short; apparently less people complain about them being too short than too long so he kept them short.

There's also a group who prefers shorter wheelbases; 5spot keeps getting slacker so the front wheel gets pushed out; DW rear end is also a little longer than the previous generation so the TT shrunk to compensate.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

ride better, ride faster
    I find the fit of my 5 Spot great... but then I have relatively long legs and a short body so the design probably suits me well!

mtbr member
    I found the test bikes i rode with 140 forks to be a bit steep so i went with a 150 float and no problem I prefer the shorter tt on the medium + standover Still a few frames going at £1500.

mtbr member
    Your fork choice is not cutting the mustard. Go with a minimum of 150, a u-turn 160 even better if you are consistently riding aggressive terrain. I have a 2010 Rev 150 dual air u-turn & the bike feels spot on, though I may go with a 2010 Lyrik soon, just because

My cup runneth over
    I'm with Inkpad on this too. I have the Vanilla RLC on my 2010 Spot and I keep waiting for it to 'break in' as it doesn't match the plushness of the rear. The Lyrik coil does look good but am waiting to see more ride reviews. FWIW, I don't want the Spot any lower but a tad slacker may just be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Coil Lyrik on the front of mine, love it!

mtbr member
    5'10" 175lbs. riding mine as a medium with 140mm float.
    had 160mm 36- too long
    got 150mm float and ended up reducing to 140mm
    run 75mm stem

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    correct size is a medium according to the Turner site and the 5-spot geometry page.

Did the shop put a shorter stem on it to make it fit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I already have a medium HL Spot and a medium HL Flux (which has longer TT than HL Spot). The Spot is too short a bike, the large is the correct size and the bike did have a short stem,
    Why should i have to put a big fork on to slacken slacken it out? The bike is designed round a 140 mm fork 525 mm A-C length, it is a little too steep a front end with its designated fork I feel, for a bike that has so much potential.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I find the 5 spot is a bike that I sit in. Too slack and I find I struggle to get it up steep climbs. I've ridden plenty of bikes that feel more sit on. Neither is right or wrong.
    The 5 spot is a trail bike, if you want to make it slacker then you just put a longer fork. The ability to run a low front end helps with this also. I think Medium would be a better size for you so how you found it short I'll never know.
    I'm 5'9" with long arms and run a 70mm stem on a Medium.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I already have a medium HL Spot and a medium HL Flux (which has longer TT than HL Spot). The Spot is too short a bike, the large is the correct size and the bike did have a short stem,
    Why should i have to put a big fork on to slacken slacken it out? The bike is designed round a 140 mm fork 525 mm A-C length, it is a little too steep a front end with its designated fork I feel, for a bike that has so much potential.
    I am 5ft 10 as well and have a medium Flux. This seems to fit fine, as did the medium 5 spot I rode.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for - to me the spot felt like a more 'traily' progression from the Flux, whereas you want something more DHR like maybe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDrummond
    I am 5ft 10 as well and have a medium Flux. This seems to fit fine, as did the medium 5 spot I rode.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for - to me the spot felt like a more 'traily' progression from the Flux, whereas you want something more DHR like maybe?
    I meant RFX...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Its not the top tube length that is a particular issue it is front length, ie from BB to front axle that is quite short, that is why pointing the bike down hill seems less aggreable than some of its competitors with a slacker and longer front end.
    A smaller bike ie medium is ridable but body movement has to be more away from the c of g of the bike, balance and weight distribution between the tyres is not as constant and therfore less grip.
    May be its a UK thing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its not the top tube length that is a particular issue it is front length, ie from BB to front axle that is quite short, that is why pointing the bike down hill seems less aggreable than some of its competitors with a slacker and longer front end.
    A smaller bike ie medium is ridable but body movement has to be more away from the c of g of the bike, balance and weight distribution between the tyres is not as constant and therfore less grip.
    May be its a UK thing
    Or maybe the focus of the bike is a compromise between having to ride up the hills in the first place before going down them - which is most trail centres in the UK I think.

mtbr member
    A 23.6" top tube is extremely short for a Large. 5' 10" is the tweener height. I would always vote for the larger size with a shorter stem and so would DT - call him and he would say for dogvet to get the large. As for the fork I have posted a bajillion times that I think the 36 spaced down to 150mm offers a nice blend of climbing and descending. At the very least I would want a 150mm fork on a DW spot. I think part of the reason is that it sits higher in it's travel and the rear doesn't squat - giving you a steeper feeling when pointed downhill. I do think DT should have the standartd head angle be 68 degrees on a Spot with 140mm fork but for now it's 69.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley
    I agree.
    I have the answer...

run a 29er wheel on the front and a 26 on the back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Perfect example

the variety of rider to frame relationships and frame, fork and stem combos in this very short thread is a perfect example of how there is no right or wrong in the current 5 Spot. There are people that have worked or currently work for Turner Bikes that agree with everyone of you. Look at the 5 Spot set up thread, all over the map, just like where we all live. If it don't work, fine. But nothing can work for everyone perfectly, that has been proven.

Dogvet at 5'10 should be on a large with shorter stem, and no spacers and a low bar. The new for 2009 Large is perfect 'tweener size for guys your height. The bike works fine with a 140 or 150 or a 160, and some demand a 140 'cause they want that front end tight feel. More steer and less lean type riding or want the front end to stick like glue on a climb, or the 160 crowd wanting a different feel.

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    the variety of rider to frame relationships and frame, fork and stem combos in this very short thread is a perfect example of how there is no right or wrong in the current 5 Spot. There are people that have worked or currently work for Turner Bikes that agree with everyone of you. Look at the 5 Spot set up thread, all over the map, just like where we all live. If it don't work, fine. But nothing can work for everyone perfectly, that has been proven.

Dogvet at 5'10 should be on a large with shorter stem, and no spacers and a low bar. The new for 2009 Large is perfect 'tweener size for guys your height. The bike works fine with a 140 or 150 or a 160, and some demand a 140 'cause they want that front end tight feel. More steer and less lean type riding or want the front end to stick like glue on a climb, or the 160 crowd wanting a different feel.

DT
    DT on your site it says 5'11-6'1 for a large,at 5'10 with a 90mm stem on my medium it feels spot on

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 on a large, 50mm stem, low sunline V1's. I run my Lyrik pretty much at full travel for everything - including some prolonged climbing in the Alps. And thanks to the anti-squat the back end doesn't hunker down making the front end even lighter. For years I've been a tweener but now I have the perfect fitting bike. But I understand that will now alienate other sized people - tough sh*t!!

If it doesn't fit you or you don't like the characteristics then move on, it doesn't mean the product is wrong.

It's a trail bike at the end of the day, but it just happens to be stiff enough and strong enough for people to stick longer forks on.

Mine is a joy to ride downhill, especially all day in the Alps.

Maybe your technique sucks :P

MK_
    carpe mañana
    DT, what about an idea of alternating TTs between model years so half get their fill on odd years and the other on even years?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Not to knock the shop you were at, but many of the demo bikes I have ridden (Spot included) had the suspension set up all wrong for me. The Spot took me a bit to figure out and I ended up with more air in my fork than I run on other bikes to prevent it from diving with the rear suspension set up properly. I have heard others say the same, so I don't think I'm a complete idiot. Maybe that's what you were experiencing.

Once I set up my fork properly and got a feel for the bike, it just wanted to fly over everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Great idea,

MK! I will pass though, hope you forgive me.

Jonny has a good point as well. If the wrench setting it up is off , the ride is trash. many think that 'body weight' in the rear shock is fine and some random amount in the fork, especially some forks that seem to never get full travel, so they are under sprung in pursuit of full or close to full travel creating a mess on the trail.

DT

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rear and front shocks were set up correctly, prob been riding suspension bikes as long as DT so gleaned little bit over the years, so have a fair idea of what goes on.
    Prob rode in Alps Dibbs at a time you were having your nappy changed by your Mum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Prob rode in Alps Dibbs at a time you were having your nappy changed by your Mum.
    Are you saying you are past it then?

Seriously, if the bike doesn't work for you then move on. But it works for plenty others as we're all different sizes and like different characteristics in a bike. Really not sure what the point is you're getting at other than you like a bike long and slacked out loads. Which is really interesting but if the 5 spot what like how you obviously want it then I wouldn't be riding one.
    And what's UK got to do with it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast