mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Turner 5 Spot & Magura Air Pro Rear Shock?

Hi I'm looking at buying a new Turner 5 Spot. However here in the UK it has an option of coming with the Magura Air Pro Rear Shock. Does anybody have any information or advice on the shock. I have searched around the net but I only see this shock at Magura USA, http://www.magurausa.com/mountainbik...ar/airpro.html. Yes I now Turner is a US bike. But seems strange that this shock has little/no mention.

Any Idea what Paul Turners intention/reasons are in offering the Magura (Rond) Air Pro over the Romec.

Is it a dog or is it the dogs?

Please help

E~Pluribus Unum
    That would be Dave Turner. Paul Turner is ex Rock Shox pioneer/ current Maverick guru.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk (UK)
    Hi I'm looking at buying a new Turner 5 Spot. However here in the UK it has an option of coming with the Magura Air Pro Rear Shock. Does anybody have any information or advice on the shock. I have searched around the net but I only see this shock at Magura USA, http://www.magurausa.com/mountainbik...ar/airpro.html. Yes I now Turner is a US bike. But seems strange that this shock has little/no mention.

Any Idea what Paul Turners intention/reasons are in offering the Magura (Rond) Air Pro over the Romec.

Please help

Hi Dirk, I have a 5 Spot also purchased in the UK - you've made a good decision.

Dave Turner is the man you ought to refer to; Paul Turner is the bloke behind Rock Shox and more recently Maverick American.

I think the Magura shock is an option in the UK as the importer also brings them in. What MTB tested the bike with the Magura and it was the only element of it that they weren't hugely impressed by. The 5 Spot is designed to work perfectly with the Romic coil shock, which it does. I'd strongly suggest getting a frame with the Romic, I've had no problems in nearly a years riding on mine.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have. Where are you in the UK? I'm based in Bucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J
    That would be Dave Turner. Paul Turner is ex Rock Shox pioneer/ current Maverick guru.
    Bugger now Dirk looks a dork

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    Hi Dirk, I have a 5 Spot also purchased in the UK - you've made a good decision.

Dave Turner is the man you ought to refer to; Paul Turner is the bloke behind Rock Shox and more recently Maverick American.

I think the Magura shock is an option in the UK as the importer also brings them in. What MTB tested the bike with the Magura and it was the only element of it that they weren't hugely impressed by. The 5 Spot is designed to work perfectly with the Romic coil shock, which it does. I'd strongly suggest getting a frame with the Romic, I've had no problems in nearly a years riding on mine.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have. Where are you in the UK? I'm based in Bucks.
    Deano I'm in West Midlands, Thanks for the advice.

PS What fork are you running?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I love your signature, ain't that the truth.....
    Seems like I hit MTBR every 20 minutes, thats about how much patience / interest I have in my desk job! (can't complain too much, it did pay for a turner and many biking trips)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J

mtbr member

Fox Talas

I'm running a Fox Talas r, Dirk. It's a very good fork, but I'm wondering whether to swap it to a Vanilla (which I currently have on a different bike) or stump up the extra cash for the Maverick fork (see my thread below - lots of opinions there!). I do find that the Talas can dive a bit, particularly when doing drops off an already steep slope. No major complaints though - it really is very good and low maintenance.

I'd probably suggest the Fox Vanilla as the perfect fork to match the Romic rear as I have plenty of experience with it (albeit not on the 5er). Adjustability of the Talas is very handy for longish steep stuff, though. A lot of the guys here also rate 'Zocchis - there's plenty of choice depending on what kind of riding you intend to do and what sort of weight you want the bike to end up being.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk (UK)

Please help
    Hi Dirk,

There's some better information on the shock on Maguras site, rather than the US one.
    http://www.magura.com/english/frameset/default.htm
    As already mentioned, it's a no cost option that the UK importer are offering. The shock received a good review in MBUK recently and apparently comes valved for a 5 spot. It's lighter than a Romic but ultimatly not as plush I believe. I'm a bit of a weight weenie but I stuck with the Romic as the traction it generates on climbs makes up for it's additional weight. So far I have found the Romic to be a very good shock indeed and loses little small bump sensitivity yet remains stiff when not needed.

The Magura forks have also been getting some very good reviews recently, incidentally.

Chaplin Turner Overdrive

had same decision to make...

...and went for the Romic. I think the decision comes down to personal preference - I was worried about the Romic's behaviour on long smooth climbs, having come from a SC Superlight with Fox Float RL I was concerned about losing the lockout option. In reality, it is just fine - the only time I miss the lockout is on tarmac and climbing out of the saddle. Result - I now do less of both, and have more fun! Regular seated climbs are fine - any bob if it's there at all is not noticeable to me provided the shock is set up properly.

I made my decision in the end because Turner know what they're doing and they obviously specced the Romic for a reason - I was concerned that the Magura option in the UK was purely as a result of a distributor tie-up, or marketing of some sort - after all XC / trail bikes with rear coil shocks in the UK are not common and maybe there was a sales concern there. Also I wanted to run a Vanilla up front and coil / coil seemed like a good plan.

Nick (in sunny Reading, UK)

BTW I heard somewhere that this new Magura air shock was designed by Jon Whyte of Whyte and Marin FRS fame. Anyone confirm this?

Lay off the Levers

Here's the "What MTB" Review....

Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    ...I think the Magura shock is an option in the UK as the importer also brings them in. What MTB tested the bike with the Magura and it was the only element of it that they weren't hugely impressed by. The 5 Spot is designed to work perfectly with the Romic coil shock, which it does. I'd strongly suggest getting a frame with the Romic, I've had no problems in nearly a years riding on mine.
    Here's a link to the "What MTB" review and a few other UK reviews of the 5 Spot...Happy reading!

UK Reviews: Five Spot!
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-26-2004 at 07:02 AM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5 Spot air shock

Hiya

I'm another UK 5 Spot owner (pics will be posted when Fotopic finally checks them in, how long do I have to wait...).

I run a Vanilla and a Romic and TBH I really think its the optimum setup. Costs less than TALAs aswell The Magura air shock saves you a pound of weight, but as an air shock you will be sacraficing the short bump ride. However, it does perform very well from what I've heard.

One problem is the shock is relatively unproven due to its newness. Whilst the Romic has a sketchy reliabilty record in the past, it now appears to be fixed. I would advise you to get a Romic and upgrade to an air shock if you find you REALLY need to drop that pound of weight.

Magura forks in general are very, very good. My friend ran Phaons which were excellent - better than everything and close to Fox, but 200 quid cheaper than the adjustable travel 5" Fox. I myself almost bought Ronins, but the frame I was going to mount them too was stolen

I bought my Turner from Psyclewerx and the guys in there have both been running Magura forks for as long as their Turners. I would call them with any queries.

www.psyclewerx.co.uk