Brass Nipples!

Turner 29er a definite yes!

Tscheezy thought this was old news, but Dave Turner said he is going ahead with a full suspension 29er and gave me permission to get the word out. He says that the bike will cover all sizes from medium to sasquatch. I forgot to ask him what amount of travel. I think a sasquatch 29er will be the perfect bike for my gigantic son.

I rode Karate Monkey and a Lenz Behemoth yesterday and they both had a real cool kind of floaty vibe. I didn't feel the ponderousness I expected from the big tires. I predict the Turner 29er will be a big hit.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    last we talked davids plan is for 4" but ive been tryin to talk him into another lower travel version for adventure racing.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Boy are there going to be some happy people. Now I don't have to keep reading, Dave, please build 29er, Dave please build a 29er. Hmm, maybe there is something behind this 29er thing.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Leash Law Enforcer

Can you say Headline News?

Man, no offense to the Homers, but this is like the "coming out" board as of late! It has become just like a cable news channel, breaking news every minute (even when there is really nothing happening). I don't know if I can handle such excitement. We all might as well chime in with our own news. I'll start - My name is Pinch, I married a 4'7" midget and I idolize General Zod (of Supreman 2 fame).

Recovering Weight Weenie
    whoa....

Sponsored by Xanax
    This thing had better cure cancer or I'll be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I may have to buy a 29er now. big wheeled b@stards, I'm coming to getcha...

TNT or horst, lol...???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you build it, we will come......

I'm in!!

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    last we talked davids plan is for 4" but ive been tryin to talk him into another lower travel version for adventure racing.
    Lenz already makes a 3" bike (light too) and so does Titus (a horst..). The market is more wide open at 4" IMO

Lay off the Levers
    Good golly, in just three days I've read two announcements I thought would never see, and the world is still here, and all is still good!

Thanks BTWB, and thanks DT for sparing us all the 29'er rants.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Lenz already makes a 3" bike (light too) and so does Titus (a horst..). The market is more wide open at 4" IMO
    Ventana has a 4"

Good to see Dave hit this though.

Recovering
    Uh oh, 'Zilla- looks like you may just have to give 29ers a try now... and I just might have to give Turner a try now, as well...

I'd add a 4" travel Turner 29er in place of my current 29er hardtail. Been thinking about replacing the hardtail 29er with a FS, but I'm just waiting on the right frame. 3" wouldn't compell me.

Lay off the Levers
    Really JB? Are you planning on XC racing a 4" 29'er?
    I'm still waiting to try your VPfree BTW...
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Really JB? Are you planning on XC racing a 4" 29'er?
    I'm still waiting to try your VPfree BTW...
    Dude, it's a Uzzi VpX, not a VPFree. Where have you been!

And yes, I'd definitely XC race a 4" Turner 29er. On the rocks around here, 3" of travel might as well be a hardtail. Less travel may be fine for racer geeks, but if I'm going to pay the weight penalty, I want to get some usable travel for it. 4" would be the perfect compromise for this frame.

aka baycat
    This is like watching CNN News...wait this is better and faster breaking!

mtbr member

Next will be

<font size=+10>Dave, Please build a 24'er</font>
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

what a joke
    Well this is interesting news.

I would vote for a 5"+ frame.
    blah blah blah

Never enough time to ride
    I think my bloody brain is going to melt. First this "tnt" thingy and now a 29er!!!!!!!!! Wow, things are a changin, hold on tight folks, it's gonna be a buttery smooth ride.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

... I guess you won't be
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Man, no offense to the Homers, but this is like the "coming out" board as of late! It has become just like a cable news channel, breaking news every minute (even when there is really nothing happening). I don't know if I can handle such excitement. We all might as well chime in with our own news. I'll start - My name is Pinch, I married a 4'7" midget and I idolize General Zod (of Supreman 2 fame).
    general ZOD! ha ha!

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Ventana has a 4"
    Good to see Dave hit this though.
    FWIW, I think that Sherwood has already said that he will introduce 4-5" rockers for the El Capitan now that there are some 130mm 29er forks.

I would love to see a 4" Turner 29er.

mtbr member

Buy a Rail

and put whatever rims you want on it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    Dave, Please build a 24'er
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member

Too little, too late IMO

I already have a 4" travel rocker driven single pivot 29er...it's called an El Capitan. They are readily available at your virtual dealer Ventanarama. Now, if it was a pre-TNT, HL bike then I would have mixed emotions.

More players in this space will benefit all but I am thoroughly non-plussed by a bike that will in most respects be similar to the El Cap.

Hang on to your Horst link bikes Homers - they will soon be collectors' items.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Tscheezy thought this was old news, but Dave Turner said he is going ahead with a full suspension 29er and gave me permission to get the word out.
    Talk about getting whiplash from an emotional rollercoaster (to the extent that's possible when talking about bikes)! The TNT news was a bit of a shocker, and not in a good way, even if it turns out to be much ado about nothing. A 29" Turner is coming though- I've been waiting my whole life to hear those words (well, the last two years anyway, which seems like a lifetime).

The merits of both 29" wheels and Turner suspension bicycles have been covered in great depth here (as evidenced by the immense popularity of both forums) and elsewhere. Suffice to say that having both in one package will be a dream come true.

It will be interesting to see what kind of bike Dave has in mind. 3" is probably more than adequate for a 29" FS geared towards racing, but 4" would most likely attract a larger audience. 5" would be mind blowing. In my experience the "big wheels add an inch of suspension" rule of thumb holds true, so I would expect to see a 3" bike built like a Flux, 4" like a 5 Spot, etc. in order to handle the more abusive riding 29" wheels allow. However it turns out, you know I'm in!
    Last edited by miles e; 09-28-2005 at 10:21 AM.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    . In my experience the "big wheels add an inch of suspension" rule of thumb holds true,

I agree!!

I think Dave would be best off to go lighter weight than the Ventana. That is the only thing that held me back from a V.

mtbr member

My

21" weighed 7.5# with RP3 and that includes the extra bracing which Ventana claims adds >1#. This can be excluded from your build of a 21" or larger frame and is not part of the 19" and smaller ones. Total build with clyde goodies places it around 30#...not too shabby IMO for a bike built built nearly as stout as my RFX.

Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    . In my experience the "big wheels add an inch of suspension" rule of thumb holds true,

I agree!!

I think Dave would be best off to go lighter weight than the Ventana. That is the only thing that held me back from a V.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    21" weighed 7.5# with RP3 and that includes the extra bracing which Ventana claims adds >1#. This can be excluded from your build of a 21" or larger frame and is not part of the 19" and smaller ones. Total build with clyde goodies places it around 30#...not too shabby IMO for a bike built built nearly as stout as my RFX.
    I think a 29er frame built that stout is overkill right now, as there aren't any tires to really handle that kind of riding (and yes, I do own a set of Exi's), and only one fork (White Bros.). A slightly lighter 4" or 4.5" 29er that could also be drafted into endurance racing duty would have much more crossover appeal, and with that "29er-extra-inch-of-travel-rule" might also satisfy the 5" 26er riders (notice how this year the 5" travel bikes have moved from the "All Mountain" category to the "Cross Country" category on most bike makers' websites?). Plus it'd be easy to pair it with the current crop of 4" 29er forks on the market.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    My XXL Leviathan weighted 5.7lbs

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    I forgot to ask him what amount of travel.
    So, are you going to ask DT about the travel? Inquiring minds want to know. Frame weight guesstimate would be cool too.

Monte

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    So, are you going to ask DT about the travel? Inquiring minds want to know. Frame weight guesstimate would be cool too.

Monte
    And when it will be available.
    blah blah blah

look for 4" of turner plushness on big wheels sometime in later '06. thats my very unoficial, very unconfirmed and very hopefull info. frame weight? i dunno but ya gotta think right around 6 ish. too much less than that and it might not be a long term frame as david would insit it to be and most homers would need it to be.
    No, I'm NOT back!

meh....

Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    look for 4" of turner plushness on big wheels sometime in later '06. thats my very unoficial, very unconfirmed and very hopefull info. frame weight? i dunno but ya gotta think right around 6 ish. too much less than that and it might not be a long term frame as david would insit it to be and most homers would need it to be.
    Thanks,
    Monte

no worries
    No, I'm NOT back!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Just great......just when I thought I had all the bikes I ever wanted or desired.
    Now a Turner 29er.......cool
    Should be interesting to see what DT comes up with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i think that a 5 or 6 inch fs 29er would be perfect. could go with this fork.

http://store.Airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=FK1022

or the single crown version
    http://store.Airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=FK1023

harris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harris
    i think that a 5 or 6 inch fs 29er would be perfect. could go with this fork.
    Hmmm, I thought the 29" conversion for the Maverick forks eliminated the last ~1" of travel, meaning you basically have a 5" (DUC32) and 4" (SC32) fork for 29" wheels. If so, a 4" and/or 5" Turner 29"er would fit the bill nicely.

If the frame is going to be around six pounds, 4" would be fine (it could be raced XC), but if it's more like seven pounds then 5" would be nice, as its already pretty much in the trail bike category at that point.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    these forks are marketed as 150mm (6 inches) of travel. i think that these are built specifically for 29ers. but, hey, i am probably wrong, i just got my first 29er a couple months ago.

harris

mtbr member

I believe it...

...with all that thin wimpy tubing and tiny pivots/bearings.

Oh, yeah, I also have 33% more travel. And my bike is prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    My XXL Leviathan weighted 5.7lbs

mtbr member

I'll take overkill

over uber light all day every day. Do you want a frame stiffer than your first boner and destined for miles of pleasure or something noodly and built for "racing"?

The stupid thing still only weighs 31# with 100% clyde worthy parts including Exis, Rynos, big brakes and HD hubset. With a "race" wheelset/tires and some other swaps it would be 28-29# unstoppable "endurance" racer...whatever that is.

I'll stack that up against anyone's 21" 5 Spot with similar bits. Davide's bike doesn't count...anywhere.

I've got both a Reba and a WB TA. I like the Reba so much that I haven't been tempted to even install the WB.
    The 19" weighs sub 6# FWIW. I weigh 250# and break silly light things - frames, wheels, cranks, etc.

Addendum: Unlike Turner, Sherwood builds his own frames. As such he can nimbly veer off production spec. So, if you want to exclude a brace or gusset and/or opt for tubing other than the full tandem tubeset I'm sure he'd be happy to do so...probably at little or no incremental cost to the buyer. If you want lighter version all you have to do is ask. I was actually going to exclude the TT/DT brace and save 1.5# but was jonesin so hard I bought one from stock on hand.

Also, the Lev and Asylum are perfectly good, lighter raceable bikes. Shoot, you can still get the vaunted HL on the Asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    I think a 29er frame built that stout is overkill right now, as there aren't any tires to really handle that kind of riding (and yes, I do own a set of Exi's), and only one fork (White Bros.). A slightly lighter 4" or 4.5" 29er that could also be drafted into endurance racing duty would have much more crossover appeal, and with that "29er-extra-inch-of-travel-rule" might also satisfy the 5" 26er riders (notice how this year the 5" travel bikes have moved from the "All Mountain" category to the "Cross Country" category on most bike makers' websites?). Plus it'd be easy to pair it with the current crop of 4" 29er forks on the market.
    Last edited by Soupboy; 10-08-2005 at 05:11 PM.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by harris
    these forks are marketed as 150mm (6 inches) of travel. i think that these are built specifically for 29ers. but, hey, i am probably wrong, i just got my first 29er a couple months ago.

harris
    Marketing guys aren't always right. DUC32 are being sold already converted to 29", 4 1/2" of travel is about all you'll get.

Monte

mtbr member

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Marketing guys aren't always right. DUC32 are being sold already converted to 29", 4 1/2" of travel is about all you'll get.

Monte
    As much as I would want a 5" a 4" makes more sense. Besides does anyone really want a 3" bike anymore? My Sugar has 4.5" and I want MORE!

INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    As much as I would want a 5" a 4" makes more sense. Besides does anyone really want a 3" bike anymore? My Sugar has 4.5" and I want MORE!
    I rode a Sugar 293 today and I'll have to admit. I liked it. I've been riding an Asylum for the last four months and the 293 felt more plush. I'm not sure how it would do in the woods though.

... I guess you won't be
    I recently rode one of those sugar 29'ers - it felt super high in the front, kinda weird....but, I really like the way a 29 wheel sticks in the corners! It's like having glue on the wheel.

29" wheeled Six Pack? You could roll over anything!

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb

That is exactly what I have been dreaming of.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    I recently rode one of those sugar 29'ers - it felt super high in the front, kinda weird....but, I really like the way a 29 wheel sticks in the corners! It's like having glue on the wheel.

Yea it felt kind’a weird to me at first. I even flipped the stem (negative rise) at first. Then I went to a 0 degree rise and flat bars. Now it is pure bliss.

Another tough thing for me was purchasing “gasp” a Fisher. I was such an elitist owning the best that Turner, Santa Cruz and Intense had to offer. I contemplated a Titus or Lenz Sport 29’er but wanted more than 3” of travel (the Sugar with the Sybil link installed is 4.5”).

That all changed when I rode a 29’er single speed and it was all over. The high-end 26” wheels needed to go. I knew that in the near future at one of the “Big three” would build a 29’er and DT stepped up to the plate!

29" wheeled Six Pack? YES!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

It'd be intersting to see a bike like this. I believe 4" of travel and a more XC style of riding is where 29" wheels may reach the apogee of their usefulness. On a 6" bike being ridden how most 6" bikes are ridden I predict durability would be an issue and there's the potential for quirky handling that'd be undesireable on that type of bike. We'll see.
    "Do not touch the trim"

breathing helium
    I'm on the edge of my seat for this one to arrive. I wonder when in 2006 it will actually appear. Please keep everyone informed is any other information becomes available. I'm going to build one of these up as soon as they are released. A Turner 29er...I've died and gone to heaven!!!

rumor mill has it slated for sometime in the fall so plan on winter or spring and be happy if they are ready sooner. sounds like it might be flux based instead of spot based as earlyer thought but who knows?
    No, I'm NOT back!

breathing helium
    Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive. I'll just act surprised when the box is left at my doorstep. "Honey, I don't know what that could be?!"

For now, I think I'm going to score a 5 Spot to hold me over...and over...and...

Turner Homer
    That is great, and I would probably get one but I have no money for it at this time. But I already own a 29" bike. No suspension, and skinny tires baby.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images