Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Brass Nipples!

Turner 29er a definite yes!

Tscheezy thought this was old news, but Dave Turner said he is going ahead with a full suspension 29er and gave me permission to get the word out. He says that the bike will cover all sizes from medium to sasquatch. I forgot to ask him what amount of travel. I think a sasquatch 29er will be the perfect bike for my gigantic son.

I rode Karate Monkey and a Lenz Behemoth yesterday and they both had a real cool kind of floaty vibe. I didn't feel the ponderousness I expected from the big tires. I predict the Turner 29er will be a big hit.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    last we talked davids plan is for 4" but ive been tryin to talk him into another lower travel version for adventure racing.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Boy are there going to be some happy people. Now I don't have to keep reading, Dave, please build 29er, Dave please build a 29er. Hmm, maybe there is something behind this 29er thing.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Leash Law Enforcer

Can you say Headline News?

Man, no offense to the Homers, but this is like the "coming out" board as of late! It has become just like a cable news channel, breaking news every minute (even when there is really nothing happening). I don't know if I can handle such excitement. We all might as well chime in with our own news. I'll start - My name is Pinch, I married a 4'7" midget and I idolize General Zod (of Supreman 2 fame).
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Recovering Weight Weenie
    whoa....

Sponsored by Xanax
    This thing had better cure cancer or I'll be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I may have to buy a 29er now. big wheeled b@stards, I'm coming to getcha...

TNT or horst, lol...???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If you build it, we will come......

I'm in!!

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    last we talked davids plan is for 4" but ive been tryin to talk him into another lower travel version for adventure racing.
    Lenz already makes a 3" bike (light too) and so does Titus (a horst..). The market is more wide open at 4" IMO

Lay off the Levers
    Good golly, in just three days I've read two announcements I thought would never see, and the world is still here, and all is still good!

Thanks BTWB, and thanks DT for sparing us all the 29'er rants.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Lenz already makes a 3" bike (light too) and so does Titus (a horst..). The market is more wide open at 4" IMO
    Ventana has a 4"

Good to see Dave hit this though.

Recovering
    Uh oh, 'Zilla- looks like you may just have to give 29ers a try now... and I just might have to give Turner a try now, as well...

I'd add a 4" travel Turner 29er in place of my current 29er hardtail. Been thinking about replacing the hardtail 29er with a FS, but I'm just waiting on the right frame. 3" wouldn't compell me.

Lay off the Levers
    Really JB? Are you planning on XC racing a 4" 29'er?
    I'm still waiting to try your VPfree BTW...
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Really JB? Are you planning on XC racing a 4" 29'er?
    I'm still waiting to try your VPfree BTW...
    Dude, it's a Uzzi VpX, not a VPFree. Where have you been!

And yes, I'd definitely XC race a 4" Turner 29er. On the rocks around here, 3" of travel might as well be a hardtail. Less travel may be fine for racer geeks, but if I'm going to pay the weight penalty, I want to get some usable travel for it. 4" would be the perfect compromise for this frame.

aka baycat
    This is like watching CNN News...wait this is better and faster breaking!

Just another Homer

Next will be

Dave, Please build a 24'er
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

what a joke
    Well this is interesting news.

I would vote for a 5"+ frame.
    blah blah blah

Never enough time to ride
    I think my bloody brain is going to melt. First this "tnt" thingy and now a 29er!!!!!!!!! Wow, things are a changin, hold on tight folks, it's gonna be a buttery smooth ride.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

... I guess you won't be
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Man, no offense to the Homers, but this is like the "coming out" board as of late! It has become just like a cable news channel, breaking news every minute (even when there is really nothing happening). I don't know if I can handle such excitement. We all might as well chime in with our own news. I'll start - My name is Pinch, I married a 4'7" midget and I idolize General Zod (of Supreman 2 fame).
    general ZOD! ha ha!

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Ventana has a 4"
    Good to see Dave hit this though.
    FWIW, I think that Sherwood has already said that he will introduce 4-5" rockers for the El Capitan now that there are some 130mm 29er forks.

I would love to see a 4" Turner 29er.

mtbr member

Buy a Rail

and put whatever rims you want on it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    [size=+10]Dave, Please build a 24'er[/size]
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member

Too little, too late IMO

I already have a 4" travel rocker driven single pivot 29er...it's called an El Capitan. They are readily available at your virtual dealer Ventanarama. Now, if it was a pre-TNT, HL bike then I would have mixed emotions.

More players in this space will benefit all but I am thoroughly non-plussed by a bike that will in most respects be similar to the El Cap.

Hang on to your Horst link bikes Homers - they will soon be collectors' items.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Tscheezy thought this was old news, but Dave Turner said he is going ahead with a full suspension 29er and gave me permission to get the word out.
    Talk about getting whiplash from an emotional rollercoaster (to the extent that's possible when talking about bikes)! The TNT news was a bit of a shocker, and not in a good way, even if it turns out to be much ado about nothing. A 29" Turner is coming though- I've been waiting my whole life to hear those words (well, the last two years anyway, which seems like a lifetime).

The merits of both 29" wheels and Turner suspension bicycles have been covered in great depth here (as evidenced by the immense popularity of both forums) and elsewhere. Suffice to say that having both in one package will be a dream come true.

It will be interesting to see what kind of bike Dave has in mind. 3" is probably more than adequate for a 29" FS geared towards racing, but 4" would most likely attract a larger audience. 5" would be mind blowing. In my experience the "big wheels add an inch of suspension" rule of thumb holds true, so I would expect to see a 3" bike built like a Flux, 4" like a 5 Spot, etc. in order to handle the more abusive riding 29" wheels allow. However it turns out, you know I'm in!
    Last edited by miles e; 09-28-2005 at 10:21 AM.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    . In my experience the "big wheels add an inch of suspension" rule of thumb holds true,

I agree!!

I think Dave would be best off to go lighter weight than the Ventana. That is the only thing that held me back from a V.

mtbr member

My

21" weighed 7.5# with RP3 and that includes the extra bracing which Ventana claims adds >1#. This can be excluded from your build of a 21" or larger frame and is not part of the 19" and smaller ones. Total build with clyde goodies places it around 30#...not too shabby IMO for a bike built built nearly as stout as my RFX.

Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    . In my experience the "big wheels add an inch of suspension" rule of thumb holds true,

I agree!!

I think Dave would be best off to go lighter weight than the Ventana. That is the only thing that held me back from a V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast