mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Tubeless tires, which to go for?

I've just made the bold move of converting to tubeless (Mavic 823's), I'm running the old tubed tyres down at the mo (Conti Diesel 2.5's) and looking at what to buy for the oncoming winter. The Conti is great in the dry, over the rocky stuff and grips well on wet roots, but it sucks in the mud, picks up loads and takes an age to clear.

Conditions are obviously about to get worse here in the UK and I'm looking at getting some tubeless tyres on the Pack for more winter grip, I wanna keep the width if I can and have no time on tyres like High Rollers (do a 2.35 tubeless) or the Kenda Nevegal (2.35 tubeless)

Anyone got any suggestions for muddy woods (loamy, pine needle filled peaty soil) play time as well as trail riding-trying to get best of both worlds with plenty of grip and a nice wide profile?

Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

Oh and is it a good idea to run the tyres with some sort of 'anti flat juice' in them? Latex?

Cheers

D

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The Nevegal does great on wet rocks and roots. I don't have any experience with them in mud, though. ALso......I don't believe that Kenda makes the UST Nevs in a 2.35 size. The largest UST Nev I''ve seen advertised is 2.1

Amphibious Technologies
    Why don't you also ask Shiggy in the Wheels and Tires forum? He has experience with diffrent tires in wet/mud.

I highly recommend the High Rollers but I have no experience using it in muddy conditions. They work very well in loose/dry conditions.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    . ALso......I don't believe that Kenda makes the UST Nevs in a 2.35 size. The largest UST Nev I''ve seen advertised is 2.1
    Yeh, I just noticed that, think it was subconcious wish that they would come in the 2.35, it looks a great tyre! Just found that Maxxis does the High Roller UST in 2.5 as well, heard mixed reviews though

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dava
    Just found that Maxxis does the High Roller UST in 2.5 as well, heard mixed reviews though
    Actually Maxxis makes a 2.7 UST too. Works great. But looks more like a 2.5.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Geax Sturdy 2.25 (actually more like a 2.4+)

Michellin DH comp 16 2.5

Knomer
    I have tried MANY different 2.5ish tires over the years, always looking for soemthing that will work well tubeless, have at least a 2.4 profile and weigh around 1000g....

Maxxis UST or dual ply are reliable, predictable, but heavy.

Conti Diesel has a paper thin sidewall

Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal blew right off the rim on high speed rocky

Panaracer Fire FR has really tall side knobs which causes the tire to push instead of roll on slow speed cornering.

Currently, I am rolling the new Specialized Enduro UST 2.4 980g On paper these seem like the holy grail. The sidewall and casing are thick to prevent punctures, I installed them tubeless with a floor pump, they weighed in at 940g at the LBS digi scale, and the tread is predictable in corners. I only have a couple rides on them so far, but they feel great.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Currently, I am rolling the new Specialized Enduro UST 2.4 980g On paper these seem like the holy grail. The sidewall and casing are thick to prevent punctures, I installed them tubeless with a floor pump, they weighed in at 940g at the LBS digi scale, and the tread is predictable in corners. I only have a couple rides on them so far, but they feel great.
    Typical! This tyre does not seem to be available in the UK!!! We have them in standard bead, but the 2bliss seems to be only available in the US, am I going to need to start buying tyres across the pond too these days?? The tpi on these is 120 though, is this thick enought, most are 60 or below for the 2.5 width?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have similar conditions to yours in the north east of Canada and I ride Mavic Xmax XL wheels.

I used to run a Hutchinson Spider 2.3 UST in the rear and Octopus 2.3 UST in front. That combination was really top notch, the Octopus is really a confidence builder, it feels like a Michelin DH 32 but it's much lighter. The Spider is the worst tire to put in front but in the rear it's very good. Mud sheds quite well on it because of it's very open design but even if it does not look like it, somehow it provides a good traction and you rarely spin out.

Unfortunately, Hutchinson stoped producing the Octopus 2.3 in a light version this year. They produce it only in a DH version that weighs 1150g which is too much for me.

So I switched to a non UST Nevagal 2.35 rear and Nevagal 2.5 front, filled with Stan goop. That combination is as good if not better than my old Hutchinson combination. The Nevagal pack a little more with mud then the Hutchinson but on loose and hard pack they offer a better cornering traction. The only negative I've got on them is that the 2.35 in the rear wears out VERY fast. I don't care, I'll buy a new one every month if I'm satisfied with my tires. Ho and by the way, Kenda says you are not supposed to use Stan goop in their tires but for me it works fine and you get even better protection than real UST tires.

Hope this helps.

dressed to play

Go High Roller

Been running the Maxxis high roller 2.35 ust for about a year now. I'm also in the UK, all the way up in Aberdeen.

mtbr member
    Typical! This tyre does not seem to be available in the UK!!! We have them in standard bead, but the 2bliss seems to be only available in the US, am I going to need to start buying tyres across the pond too these days?? The tpi on these is 120 though, is this thick enought, most are 60 or below for the 2.5 width?
    Are you positive about that?

Because my LBS carries them in France. I imagine that if they're available in Continental Europe you'd get them too.

You might want to double check that.
    I demoed them and they're great. I'll buy one for the mountain rides although I'm slightly concerned about the fact that they might wear out quickly. Due to the dual compound thingy.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by accident prone
    Are you positive about that?

Because my LBS carries them in France. I imagine that if they're available in Continental Europe you'd get them too.

You might want to double check that.
    I demoed them and they're great. I'll buy one for the mountain rides although I'm slightly concerned about the fact that they might wear out quickly. Due to the dual compound thingy.
    I only checked the UK Spec website last night and couldn't find them in the usual online haunts, so I might give them a call.........beats work anyway TFI Friday!!!

Breaking news.......... they do not bring them in to the UK!!!! Good job I have a french girlfriend, I'll have her on the phone this afternoon
    Last edited by Dava; 10-28-2005 at 03:26 AM. Reason: just call um

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Actually Maxxis makes a 2.7 UST too. Works great. But looks more like a 2.5.
    Not in the damb UK, they only bring the 2.35 in!!!! I need to emmigrate!!!

mtbr member
    Not in the damb UK, they only bring the 2.35 in!!!! I need to emmigrate!!!
    You must be cursed.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarhero
    Been running the Maxxis high roller 2.35 ust for about a year now. I'm also in the UK, all the way up in Aberdeen.
    Does it come out as a wide 2.35 or more XC narrow like a conti Vert Pro?