Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No, that's not phonetic

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Tscheezy's definitive comprehensive dw-link 5-Spot review

If a picture is worth a thousand words, I suppose a video must be a million. Enjoy:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/14312551?byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>

In summation: fun bike.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Always good to see what you put together, love the spinny head cam shots.

mtbr member
    Nice vid, I like the helicopter rotor camera mount.

mtbr member
    wow, that's a really nice video. I like how you keep switching the camera angles.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Video taken at 1am as there is always light in the summertime.

Cool vid.

Baked Alaskan
    Nice vid, the spinning headcam shots are awesome. I have to get me one of those...

mtbr member
    Great vid. Thanks for sharing!

the refurbished one
    nice perspectives!
    how do you make these spinning shots?
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

Wicketed
    Great stuff, TS. I'd be interested to hear how you felt the bike handle compared to 6pack or Spot though.....apart from 'somewhere in between'........
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    The consequences of going off trail on the ridge line (at about 2:45) looks pretty nasty.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Now we need a picture of all the camera mounts...

for the behind the scenes video

mtbr member
    thanks for sharing the stoke - great vid!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

Large Turner RFX For Sale

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Speedbump
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    Now we need a picture of all the camera mounts...

for the behind the scenes video
    +1

Still trying to figure out how you got a couple of those shots!
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

My cup runneth over
    It looks like poor Barney is still on the 'old'....

I wonder if it replaces both your Spot and RFX?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Brilliant video!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    super cool, very well done......thanks

on a routine expedition

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well done. How are the mosquitoes up there?

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Way cool....

Rolling
    Awesome. I could care less about the bike frame. I just want to know more about the video technique.

Now with flavor!!
    Haha! Nice work man!
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

used to be RipRoar
    nice vid!, I love my DW bike....How was the King catch rate this season around Kodiak!?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I wonder if it replaces both your Spot and RFX?
    I sold my RFX, if that is any indication. I built the dw Spot up with the parts from it, so it is a pretty stout build. I still have the Horst Spot for now and may keep it a while. That is still a timeless performer.

Quote Originally Posted by spadmike
    How are the mosquitoes up there?
    It depends on where you are. There are almost none around town, but you can find spots within a few miles where I would consider them annoying, but still nothing like in the Interior.

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    How was the King catch rate this season around Kodiak!?
    The Karluk and Ayakulik Chinook runs are pretty much in the toilet, and no one is sure why. ADF&G took eggs from those systems and is establishing a "put and take" sport fishery along the road system which is doing well. They have had a few setbacks the past two summers (warm water and low spawner and egg survival rates) so the number of fish has plateaued, but hopefully they will increase again with better conditions and better luck. I work for Fish and Game and have helped with the Chinook enhancement project. It's cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by swan lee
    I'd be interested to hear how you felt the bike handle compared to 6pack or Spot though.....apart from 'somewhere in between'........
    I will post up some real thoughts on this at some point. So far the dw seems to retain the Spot pedigree with a slightly plusher feel when descending (though I also have a 160mm coil on the dw and only a 140mm dual air on the old Spot). Most of the time I don't notice the dw link as doing anything special vis a vis my Horst Spot, though you get the sensation of a rearward axle path when coasting over bumps which is a very nice trait. There are pros and cons though. The dw has less tire clearance. I drop my chain on it pretty often too, presumably because the old chainstay used to minimize chain bounce somewhat and now there is nothing in the way to stop it (I am running the same chain guide on both bikes). The dw standover is better and it seems to take a 160mm fork with no complaints. I don't notice that the bikes pedal that differently to be honest. The dw bobs out of the saddle and doesn't when seated- just like my old bikes, though it may accomplish this with a bit less compression damping. It's the sum of little things, the balance of pluses and minuses, though I don't think it's any huge leap forward: it took an incredible bike and tweaked it in a few ways that some folks may deem important, others less so. The coasting bump absorption is probably my favorite aspect of the dw.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    Now we need a picture of all the camera mounts... for the behind the scenes video
    I will put together a pictorial of my camera mounts. I am going to redo my propeller-head mount first though. It's so lame I'm embarrassed to show it.

mtbr member
    fantastic video! Did you use Garageband to make the music?

No, that's not phonetic
    Sort of. I imported a song with vocals (Free Stress Test by Professor Murder) and chopped out the lyrics portions, and dubbed the instrumentals a bit by cut/paste, etc.

No, that's not phonetic
    Ok, here are some of my video mount bits. First off, the helicopter head. I used a plastic chunk cut to allow me to velcro it to my helmet using the vents, and on top of that I used a spare Heim chain guide roller. Bolted to that I have an aluminum plate that I can hose-clamp some rod or dowel to. I used a 1/2" wooden dowel first, but I promptly broke that. Now I have some cheap WalMart tent pole sections. They flex and bounce, so some stiffer tubing would probably help, but I can take the two sections apart and the pole ends up half as long so I can pack it around. The camera is mounted on one end via the GoPro seatpost clamp mount, and I have a 12 oz fishing weight taped to the other end for "balance." I actually have the rig set up slightly camera-heavy so I can position it somewhat by leaning my head. The whole thing is a bit of a millstone and your helmet had better fit pretty tight! I would not suggest riding long with this doohickey on your head since you will look like a freaking 'tard.

For the ground-skimming shots I just used a pole similar to the propeller head contraption, but I just hold it in my hand and either ran or rode behind Barny and held the camera a few inches off the dirt as we moved along. Nothing complicated there.

On-bike scenes were generally done using RAM mounts. gpscity.com has an excellent selection of RAM stuff. I use the 1" ball head metal system ('B' size). The plastic RAM stuff flexes too much. I use them with a GoPro, but a Contour HD is pictured here:

The one exception to the all-metal rule is that I like this particular RAM arm since you can adjust the angle between the two ends independently:

Just note that these mounts are pretty solid and if you crash or catch them on something while hauling down the trail you could dent the tubing on your precious scooter or force the mount into the spokes. I have had a few oopsies using the mounts but never had anything really ugly happen. It's probably just a matter of time though.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Sort of. I imported a song with vocals (Free Stress Test by Professor Murder) and chopped out the lyrics portions, and dubbed the instrumentals a bit by cut/paste, etc.
    I thought you might have! I shazzamed the song on my iphone and found the original to not be nearly as good.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Rolling
    Philip, that stuff is gold. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your setup too.

Now share Barny's thought's while she waits for you to set up.

~Disc~Golf~
    Absolutely Fantastic!!
    Tscheezy - I always love your posts.
    Usually I click for the great scenery - AK and Barny
    I'm Xposting this in AM - http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/x-post-tscheezys-definitive-comprehensive-dw-link-5-spot-review-%5Boo%5D-645254.html#post7245740
    Great Job!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    Hey tscheezy, what's the name of that tune?
    Actually propellerhead is kinda close...
    Last edited by highdelll; 08-22-2010 at 08:42 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Now share Barny's thought's while she waits for you to set up.
    "Wow, what a nerd. That retarded looking contraption looks right at home on his head."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    "Wow, what a nerd. That retarded looking contraption looks right at home on his head."

Propeller-head...

Great video! I love the ingenuity & creativity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I work for Fish and Game and have helped with the Chinook enhancement project. It's cool stuff.
    BTW- You may be familiar with the recent success we've had with the Sockeye runs in ID with high numbers of fish returning all the way to Redfish Lake this year. It's been a long slog and I'm sure more to come. Thought you'd find this of interest.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...-way-baby.html

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...link=mirelated

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Interesting review

I sold my RFX, if that is any indication. I built the dw Spot up with the parts from it, so it is a pretty stout build. I still have the Horst Spot for now and may keep it a while. That is still a timeless performer.

It depends on where you are. There are almost none around town, but you can find spots within a few miles where I would consider them annoying, but still nothing like in the Interior.

The Karluk and Ayakulik Chinook runs are pretty much in the toilet, and no one is sure why. ADF&G took eggs from those systems and is establishing a "put and take" sport fishery along the road system which is doing well. They have had a few setbacks the past two summers (warm water and low spawner and egg survival rates) so the number of fish has plateaued, but hopefully they will increase again with better conditions and better luck. I work for Fish and Game and have helped with the Chinook enhancement project. It's cool stuff.

I will post up some real thoughts on this at some point. So far the dw seems to retain the Spot pedigree with a slightly plusher feel when descending (though I also have a 160mm coil on the dw and only a 140mm dual air on the old Spot). Most of the time I don't notice the dw link as doing anything special vis a vis my Horst Spot, though you get the sensation of a rearward axle path when coasting over bumps which is a very nice trait. There are pros and cons though. The dw has less tire clearance. I drop my chain on it pretty often too, presumably because the old chainstay used to minimize chain bounce somewhat and now there is nothing in the way to stop it (I am running the same chain guide on both bikes). The dw standover is better and it seems to take a 160mm fork with no complaints. I don't notice that the bikes pedal that differently to be honest. The dw bobs out of the saddle and doesn't when seated- just like my old bikes, though it may accomplish this with a bit less compression damping. It's the sum of little things, the balance of pluses and minuses, though I don't think it's any huge leap forward: it took an incredible bike and tweaked it in a few ways that some folks may deem important, others less so. The coasting bump absorption is probably my favorite aspect of the dw.

I will put together a pictorial of my camera mounts. I am going to redo my propeller-head mount first though. It's so lame I'm embarrassed to show it.
    The only bike I have ridden that is head and tails better than than my HL Spot is an Ibis Mojo but it has a softer tail to it. It just pedals better but doesn't feel as solid under me...

Those shots are incredible with the spinning video cam...

Rolling

I can imagine....and she is prolly laughing hard at this thread too.

BTW, I just placed an order at the site you posted for mounting hardware. Not sure I will do the propeller thing soon but that RAM stuff looks way superior and more flexible than the GoPro stuff. Thanks for that.

Brass Nipples!
    Very nice video as we've all come to expect.

I pictured the propellerhead thing pretty much like you've shown. You should leave the shot of your arm reaching up and giving the contraption a push in the edited video once in a while.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    What kind of tires are those on the grey bike?
    thanks man!
    Colin

No, that's not phonetic
    On the rear I have a Geax Datura 2.2 TNT and on the front a Maxxis ADvantage 2.4.

mtbr member
    Tscheezy,
    How does that ram yoke clamp base work on square seat or chain stays?

And I wanted to say thanks for posting all of those pics. I really like the look of the ram mounts. As soon as I get a little extra cash I am planning to spring for a GoPro HD and some ram mounts. Oh and definitely a chest mount. I really dig the gopro footage with the chest mount.

I had a original GoPro a while back that was mounted to my helmet but I ended up selling it. I wasn't a big fan of the footage unless you had another rider in front of you to kinda highlight the trail features.

No, that's not phonetic
    The clamp area on the RAM yoke clamp base mount actually works better on square tubing than round. It has a square-shaped opening so when attached to a round tube it clamps on 4 surfaces while on square tubing it grabs the corners securely. I have whacked it good and ended up bending the crap out of the long threaded shaft that closes the clamp. Luckily that gave way without denting my seat stay or sucking the whole mess into the spokes. The clamp's opening is too small to go on oversized round tubes like the downtube. You will want the strap rail model for that. I pad tube with rubber fire hose material under the mount and hose clamp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    cool angles!

Powered by ice cream.
    Nice vid.

Got ticks?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

No, that's not phonetic
    No, a bevy of other annoying bugs, but no ticks.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Nice vid.

Got ticks?
    That's a great Q
    for some reason I thought AK was without the ticks...
    atleast up north, and/or Kodiak - could be wrong..

**Edit - ahh, yeah no ticks

~Disc~Golf~
    But how 'bout them skeeters tscheezy?!

No, that's not phonetic
    Not many mosquitos around town. You can find white socks without trying very hard though.

~Disc~Golf~
    White-socks are like 'no-see-ums'...right?
    Last edited by highdelll; 08-26-2010 at 12:26 AM.

~Disc~Golf~

No, that's not phonetic
    No, there are no-see-ums around in places too, but white socks are different. A bit bigger, and not stealthy.

~Disc~Golf~
    Bigger and annoy to hell...nice

still love it up there - (as if I've seen anything/everything)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ts, I came across a thread of yours that was riding through 4 seasons on kodiak and there were pics of your wife on a FS bike with a sus fork and fat tires. Can you elaborate on that setup? Im dieing to know!
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Great video! Because of this, I also bought some RAM mounts. Great stuff, very solid. Way better then the stuff you get from GoPro.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by FalloutMan
    Ts, I came across a thread of yours that was riding through 4 seasons on kodiak and there were pics of your wife on a FS bike with a sus fork and fat tires. Can you elaborate on that setup? Im dieing to know!
    I think you are looking for this ---> Linky

Here's another review

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/14445548?byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    Last edited by tscheezy; 09-04-2010 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Another great video, thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tscheezy, great videos as always. How does the sizing on the DW Spot compare to the sizing of the HL Spot? Does it fit you as well?

Did you have to make any major adjustments going from one bike to the other?
    I'm kind of scared about the shorter top tube on the DW Spot as compared to the same size TNT/HL spot.

Are you going to post a setup of the new bike in the setup thread?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by soslow
    How does the sizing on the DW Spot compare to the sizing of the HL Spot? Does it fit you as well?

Did you have to make any major adjustments going from one bike to the other?
    I'm kind of scared about the shorter top tube on the DW Spot as compared to the same size TNT/HL spot.
    If DT had handed this bike to me and had simply told me "this replaces a current model," I would have guessed it was the "new RFX" without question. New RFX in the sense that it was supposed to fill the same niche as the 2008 RFX, which was an All Mountain/Trail Bike, not a light FR machine like the real 2011 new RFX is targeted to be. Yes, the dw Spot's top tube is a bit less than a 1/2 inch shorter than the old Spot's. If you hop from one bike to the other, you can feel it. I have the exact same stem, same bar, same saddle, and same seatpost on both bikes, and the new dw bike feels a bit lower-riding (BB height) and more upright (cockpit) than my old one. It feels like a lower-BB version of my RFX, in fact. I suppose I could run a 5mm longer stem and slide my saddle back 5mm and pretty much erase the difference in the two Spot cockpits, but I don't feel the need. As far as I'm concerned the dw Spot replaces my recently-sold RFX, not my Horst Spot.

The main reason I would think the dw Spot was replacing the RFX because the dw Spot is plusher than the old Spot. Not a little bit, but really noticeably. I have been riding my old Spot and the new dw Spot off and on and the biggest difference is the coasting bump absorption. The dw bike has an HV air canister and yet I never push the o-ring off the end of the shock's shaft. I put the same shock on my old Spot and at the same pressure I bottomed the shock riding the same trails, and the o-ring fell off the end of the shaft. In fact I was never able to get away using an HV air sleeve on my old Turner bikes, instead always opting for the LV sleeves to control bottoming. Somehow I can use an HV sleeve on the dw bike and I have to say it feels great. I am ready to give credit where credit is due, and the two Daves did a super job executing on this one. I can run my body weight minus 20 pounds in psi just like my old bike, but the initial travel is plusher, and somehow it still ramps up smoothly late in travel using the exact same shock. This is the biggest standout feature for me and it is rare that I would say a bike feels like it has more travel than it does, but for me the new Spot delivers in this department. I will note that assuming your shock gets a real 2.0" of stroke, I measured the wheel movement at the rear axle to be a full 5.6 inches along the curved axle path. Nice to see truth in travel advertising in the business is alive and well.

I can't say I like the climbing on the new Spot more than my old machine. It's not that's bad or anything, it's just not noticeably better so far. My old Spot seems livelier, more spirited and sprightly on climbs, if a tiny bit bouncier. The new bike feels like I'm climbing on, well, my old RFX; not entirely surprising since it is using the parts off my old RFX. The dw is solid and business-like, but not faster than my old Spot. Some folks say the new dw bikes climb like lighter bikes, but that has not been my experience. It feels like a bike just as heavy and purpose-built as it is, no less, no more. My dw Spot is 32.34 pounds and my old Spot is 30.62 pounds if anyone cares, a difference of 1.7 pounds. The tires and rims on the dw are barely heavier than on my old Spot, and the dw has a heavier fork (Lyrik coil versus either a 150mm dual air Revelation or a 140mm dual air Pike on the old Spot) but otherwise the builds are nearly identical. I can lower the Lyrik while neither the Revelation or Pike are adjustable, so I call the forks a wash. If I were splitting hairs I guess I would say that you can feel the shock movement while standing to climb on the old Spot, but even though the shock on the dw seems to move about as much when climbing out of the saddle on the dw machine you don't feel it in the chassis as much. That may be why the dw feels sort of muted to me. On descents the Lyrik coil matches the rear end on the dw Spot like a hand in glove. It's really a perfect match.

The dw seems to split the difference between the Horst and TNT Turners in behavior. The Horst bike's shock extended when applying the rear brake. Not that the suspension actually jacks, but that when your COM moves forward under deceleration, the rear end lifts. On the dw bike, the rear end barely moves. It seems like there must be a little braking squat going on, and even when sitting quite still on the bike and not trying to counteract the COM moving forward, the rear end hardly moves. It may extend just a hair, but if you did move your weight back over the rear tire the net effect would probably be a bit of compression. On my TNT bikes the rear end didn't move at all- the braking squat seemed to counter the COM moving forward perfectly and the chassis stayed level. I didn't notice the dreaded suspension-stiffening or loss-of-traction some report when riding faux-bars so much, so the "squat" of the TNT never seemed like a really bad thing to me. In fact I liked the chassis-leveling behavior. The dw seems to have some of this as well, but the suspension appears to stay pretty supple. It is easy to slide your weight back a few inches to counteract the movement of the COM when braking, so having the shock extend on the Horst bikes seemed like a non-issue to me. None of them braked badly imo, but the dw may borrow the best traits of both the Horst and the TNT.

Long story short, the fit issue was not a big deal for me because the bike the dw Spot is replacing is a bike it matched perfectly: the 2008 RFX. I will try the dw Spot with a Pike soon and see if it feels like my old Spot more. I doubt I am setting your mind at ease over the top tube length, but if it makes you feel any better the overall geometry is Pure Turner. You can feel DT's hand at work here.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 08-30-2010 at 08:12 PM.

My cup runneth over
    If DT..... You can feel DT's hand at work here.
    Really interesting review TS. Appreciate the effort to put it in the perspective of your experience/style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Really interesting review TS. Appreciate the effort to put it in the perspective of your experience/style.
    Same here. I appreciate the honest feedback. You've made up my mind that the only way for me to tell is to demo a dw bike. (which I should probably do anyway)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A former owner of a DW Spot sold his because of perceived excessive "pedal feedback". Did you notice such behavior? I never did the three times I test rode one but I never owned one.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    A former owner of a DW Spot sold his because of perceived excessive "pedal feedback". Did you notice such behavior?
    No, but we don't have any superchunk or shelfy climbs here at home to really test that.

I did do an experiment, however:

I put the bike in a "climbing gear" (32t middle ring in front and the 2nd cog 30t in back), locked the rear brake by taping the lever to the bar, and removed the rear shock. Cycling the suspension from full extension to full bottom-out the cranks rolled back about the equivalent of one click of my King rear hub, or 5 degrees. In other words, I could get the cranks to roll back the same distance if I didn't compress the suspension but rather let the freehub move back one ringdrive engagement point. Note that this was with a FULL suspension cycle, from topout (no sag: a full 7.5" i2i) past bottom-out (the rear triangle yoke resting on the seat tube: a bit beyond 5.5" i2i). BTW- I don't know anyone who pedals through that range of suspension compression.

I did the same experiment in the same gear with my Horst Spot and the cranks moved back roughly half a King click, or 2.5 degrees. So the Horst bike has approximately "half" as much pedal feedback in that gear as the dw bike. I don't have a high/forward single pivot handy to compare what sort of feedback one of those would produce. I do know that high/forward single pivots like the SC Heckler make my knees explode when climbing shelfy trails, so I have felt feedback before, but neither the Horst Spot nor the dw Spot make my knees feel funny.

I really don't know if my numbers mean much, and I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm looking at the wrong thing. I also can't say if all the dw pedal "feedback" happens at some critical point in the travel around sag where your friend could feel it, or if it is distributed throughout the travel. I can't feel it, but I also never felt it in most VPPs I have ridden and some other people complain about those. It is also useful to point out that the gear you are in makes a big difference. If you are climbing in the granny ring in front and the big cog in back, the pedal feedback will feel a lot stronger than if climbing in the middle ring in front and the same cog in back (on the same bike). I generally climb in the middle ring, so I may reduce my exposure to pedal feedback a bit.

Just out of curiosity, I "mapped" the axle path by taping a sharpie in the rear dropouts and moving the suspension on the dw bike from a shock i2i of 7.5" down to 5.5". The travel with a full 2.0" stroke shock is 143mm, or 5.63 inches. I measured the BB at 352mm or 13.8 inches with the Lyrik U-turn racked out to 160mm of travel and some reasonably fat tires. Not that this is necessarily instructive of anything, but it looks like this: