Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tscheezy's definitive comprehensive dw-link 5-Spot review

73K views 146 replies 65 participants last post by  Cary 
#1 ·
If a picture is worth a thousand words, I suppose a video must be a million. Enjoy:

In summation: fun bike.

#9 ·
Great stuff, TS. I'd be interested to hear how you felt the bike handle compared to 6pack or Spot though.....apart from 'somewhere in between'........

#23 ·
rmac said:
I wonder if it replaces both your Spot and RFX?
I sold my RFX, if that is any indication. I built the dw Spot up with the parts from it, so it is a pretty stout build. I still have the Horst Spot for now and may keep it a while. That is still a timeless performer.

spadmike said:
How are the mosquitoes up there?
It depends on where you are. There are almost none around town, but you can find spots within a few miles where I would consider them annoying, but still nothing like in the Interior.

RipRoar said:
How was the King catch rate this season around Kodiak!?
The Karluk and Ayakulik Chinook runs are pretty much in the toilet, and no one is sure why. ADF&G took eggs from those systems and is establishing a "put and take" sport fishery along the road system which is doing well. They have had a few setbacks the past two summers (warm water and low spawner and egg survival rates) so the number of fish has plateaued, but hopefully they will increase again with better conditions and better luck. I work for Fish and Game and have helped with the Chinook enhancement project. It's cool stuff.

swan lee said:
I'd be interested to hear how you felt the bike handle compared to 6pack or Spot though.....apart from 'somewhere in between'........
I will post up some real thoughts on this at some point. So far the dw seems to retain the Spot pedigree with a slightly plusher feel when descending (though I also have a 160mm coil on the dw and only a 140mm dual air on the old Spot). Most of the time I don't notice the dw link as doing anything special vis a vis my Horst Spot, though you get the sensation of a rearward axle path when coasting over bumps which is a very nice trait. There are pros and cons though. The dw has less tire clearance. I drop my chain on it pretty often too, presumably because the old chainstay used to minimize chain bounce somewhat and now there is nothing in the way to stop it (I am running the same chain guide on both bikes). The dw standover is better and it seems to take a 160mm fork with no complaints. I don't notice that the bikes pedal that differently to be honest. The dw bobs out of the saddle and doesn't when seated- just like my old bikes, though it may accomplish this with a bit less compression damping. It's the sum of little things, the balance of pluses and minuses, though I don't think it's any huge leap forward: it took an incredible bike and tweaked it in a few ways that some folks may deem important, others less so. The coasting bump absorption is probably my favorite aspect of the dw.

bobo_krkk_NIN said:
Now we need a picture of all the camera mounts... for the behind the scenes video
I will put together a pictorial of my camera mounts. I am going to redo my propeller-head mount first though. It's so lame I'm embarrassed to show it. :)

#26 ·
Ok, here are some of my video mount bits. First off, the helicopter head. I used a plastic chunk cut to allow me to velcro it to my helmet using the vents, and on top of that I used a spare Heim chain guide roller. Bolted to that I have an aluminum plate that I can hose-clamp some rod or dowel to. I used a 1/2" wooden dowel first, but I promptly broke that. Now I have some cheap WalMart tent pole sections. They flex and bounce, so some stiffer tubing would probably help, but I can take the two sections apart and the pole ends up half as long so I can pack it around. The camera is mounted on one end via the GoPro seatpost clamp mount, and I have a 12 oz fishing weight taped to the other end for "balance." I actually have the rig set up slightly camera-heavy so I can position it somewhat by leaning my head. The whole thing is a bit of a millstone and your helmet had better fit pretty tight! I would not suggest riding long with this doohickey on your head since you will look like a freaking 'tard.

For the ground-skimming shots I just used a pole similar to the propeller head contraption, but I just hold it in my hand and either ran or rode behind Barny and held the camera a few inches off the dirt as we moved along. Nothing complicated there.

On-bike scenes were generally done using RAM mounts. gpscity.com has an excellent selection of RAM stuff. I use the 1" ball head metal system ('B' size). The plastic RAM stuff flexes too much. I use them with a GoPro, but a Contour HD is pictured here:

The one exception to the all-metal rule is that I like this particular RAM arm since you can adjust the angle between the two ends independently:

Just note that these mounts are pretty solid and if you crash or catch them on something while hauling down the trail you could dent the tubing on your precious scooter or force the mount into the spokes. I have had a few oopsies using the mounts but never had anything really ugly happen. It's probably just a matter of time though. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.