mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Trunk mount bike rack suggestions?

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, couldn't find it in a quick search... I have an 08 med 5 spot and need to get a trunk mount bike rack. Have no clue if there is a preferred model or models that fit the turner frame better than others. Any suggestions?

Yayer!
    Not sure of how well a Turner specifically meshes with this particular rack but, the new Saris RS trunk racks are sweet ass. I have a bones 3 that has been put through hell and recently demo'd an RS through work (we sell Saris) and it was really nice. The attachment straps are super solid and the rack is well designed. It is the spendiest of the trunk racks though, so it technically SHOULD be well thought out. Hope this helps!
    Broken ankles = bullshit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    +1 for Saris. The best in trunk racks, and priced accordingly. I'm not a fan of trunk racks, but if I needed one, it would probably be a Saris.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Yayer!
    Personally, my bones sucks to haul my RFX....but it is not the racks fault, the suspension gets in the way. I use my Thule roof rack on our Pilot to haul it. I agree with you Kosmo, Saris is THE trunk rack of choice.

mtbr member
    I have an older version of this Thule rack for when I my wife sticks me with the car, so far so good, nothing has fallen off.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Yayer!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I have an older version of this Thule rack for when I my wife sticks me with the car, so far so good, nothing has fallen off.
    I have nothing but good things to say about Thule, not because we sell them but because my experience with them has always been good. Solid products and probably the best customer service in the rack industry...if you have ANY problem they will remedy it with the quickness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by apatron
    Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, couldn't find it in a quick search... I have an 08 med 5 spot and need to get a trunk mount bike rack. Have no clue if there is a preferred model or models that fit the turner frame better than others. Any suggestions?
    what vehicle you putting it on? There aren't too many that you can't put a class 2 hitch under and avoid all the hassle and issues of straps and getting into the trunk while the rack/bike is on there.

That being said - I owned a Saris bones rack for years on my 97 Z24, and it was great, for what it was. Only owned hardtails back then though. FS bikes are difficult with those racks.

Years ago Rhode Gear made a nice trunk rack that secured the bike in a fork mount like a roof rack tray - I dunno if anyone still makes a rack like that - pretty sure Rhode Gear is no longer. this is the only Pic I could find of the setup:

Yayer!
    Yeah, I am pretty sure Rhode Gear is defunkt. Thats a different looking setup though, cant say i've seen that before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm driving a Prius. Never even thought of looking to see if I can get a trailer hitch on this. I just assumed that since it can barely move it's own weight a hitch was out of the question... Thanks for the input everyone, Very much appreciated!!!!

mtbr member
    I am on iPod and can't do it for you and post links but check etrailer dot com or google hidden hitch. I had a saris bones on my sedan (Jetta) and it scuffs the paint. I got a hidden hitch rack installed and a 2 bike performance bike x-port bike carrier (poor mans T2) for $250 all in. Much better option IMHO.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen the new Tule Raceway coming out in a month or so? Looks like a similar setup to the Saris RS but $75 cheeper....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by apatron
    I'm driving a Prius. Never even thought of looking to see if I can get a trailer hitch on this. I just assumed that since it can barely move it's own weight a hitch was out of the question... Thanks for the input everyone, Very much appreciated!!!!
    Yep - $108 for the hitch, http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2006201515

Then you need a 1.25" rack for the rear - as someone mentioned Performance has some relatively inexpensive models.

Or you could always get one of those hitch cargo platforms, like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34313 use a inexpensive truck bed style fork mount and be into the whole setup for about $225.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, I'm looking into the different hitch options now, A bit more expensive but it just feels like a safer way to go. Again Much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The hitch route is HUGELY superior. Once you get the hitch installed, surf the net a bunch for racks. There are so many options, and so many closeouts if budget is a primary concern. If you're willing to spend a few weeks looking around, you can find a steal of a deal somewhere.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.