mtbr member

Trip of a life time! Part 2 - or why I'm riding my Turner heaps in the next half year

First Asia by Tandem

Trip of a life time! Part 1 - or why I haven't ridden my Turner in a half year

NOW

USA by Mountain Bike!

Well RV and Mountain Bike. We've just bought a cheap RV and are doing the MTB dream of visiting the US of A. My girl and I are planning to start in Austin, Tx. Over the next 5-6 months we'll go Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, California, Oregon, Washington, Canada, Alaska... and back down the east coast down south back to Tejas.

And then we'll need to work for the rest of our life to pay for it!!

So can you guys help us out? Where do we ride? Obviously Utah (slick rock), Colorado, Whistler.. but where else??? Being from Australia don't really know.

Any of the IMBA epics??

If you had a 6 months to ride in North America where would you ride?

What riding do I like. Well I own and love a 5-spot. Fun, fast challenging singletrack. That's all you should need to know!

If any one could help us out that'd be great.

Cheers,

Rich

No, that's not phonetic
    Start in the south and head north. Start in the desert and head to the coast. It's gonna get hot quick, so you had better get started.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Start in the south and head north. Start in the desert and head to the coast. It's gonna get hot quick, so you had better get started.
    Tscheez. Any Alaskan recommendations??

~~~~~~~~
    Macenzie River Trail in Oregon is a must do.

mtbr member
    In the north east coast look at kingdom trails in VT, Lynn Woods and Vietman in MA, Case Mtn in CT, Blue Mtn NY, Ringwood & Allamuchy in NJ, Rothrock in PA. There is plenty more but that is what I know.

thats right living legend
    Watch your back in Indian country... unless you want a free haircut.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Hideously Jealous Part 2

NOT Team Sanchez
    Wow! that's incredible bro! What an experience.......makes you humble, don't it, how good we've got it.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Wow! that's incredible bro! What an experience.......makes you humble, don't it, how good we've got it.
    Man. You never realise how good you got it til you go away. We've been through some of the poorest countries in the world in this trip. Riding hard each day, eating a little and sleeping in squallor was one thing but at least I can return to my western comforts at the end of the trip. Really changes how you see things.

Rich

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich9000
    Tscheez. Any Alaskan recommendations??
    Sure, I can suggest some good stuff. I'll scribble some stuff into Google Earth for your ease in finding the trails.

Oh yeah. Great pics and amazing trip.

EDIT: Here is an example of what I can provide. Tell me if these are useful in any way. These are just quick overlays I cobbled together. I can do something more detailed with some descriptions if you like.

Google Earth Link
    Google Maps Link
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-17-2008 at 10:36 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    theres some killer places in northern arizona like flagstaff and williams. some of the best ive ridden. the stuff down in phoenix rocks but its gettin hot already there. theres way, way more to moab than a big rock too. that depends on what ya like to ride on. moab has a bit of everything.

just started injesting yer other thread. what a cool thing youve done not to mention what yer about to do. my hat is off and im saluting!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Six months?! Cool.

Here's a small sampling of some of the places I would not miss if I were touring the US to ride fun challenging singletrack.

Texas: Austin
    New Mexico: Sante Fe/ Taos South Boundary trail
    Arizona: Tucson: Green Mountain to Bugs to Prison Camp to La Milagrosa on Mt. Lemon; Phoenix: South Mountain (National, Geronimo, Holbert, Mormon), Hawes, McDowell Mountains, North Phoenix Mountain, White Tank Mountains (Goat camp).
    Sedona: do the whole thing
    Flagstaff
    Utah: St. George/Gooseberry mesa, Thunder Mountain, Brian Head/Navajo Lake, Moab (duh), Park City/Wasatch Crest
    Colorado: Fruita/Grand Junction, Crested Butte, Durango, Breckinridge .... dude you could spend the whole six months there if you wanted.
    Idaho: Sun Valley/ Stanley Basin
    Nevada: Bootleg Canyon, Cowboy Trails, Cottonwood, Tahoe Rim Trail
    California: More Tahoe, Santa Cruz, Downieville
    Oregon: Bend, McKenzie River trail, Columbia River gorge/Hood River
    Washington: Don't even know all the places there but I've seen them on mtbr.
    BC: See LeeL's blog for his backcountry trips in the Chilciton's and Kootenay's.

It's an overwhelming task... So many amazing places to ride and see....and that's just the western US. Enjoy the trip. Count me insanely jealous 2.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-18-2008 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    You have to try the Tanasi trail system at the Ocoee River in Tennesee!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Six months?! Cool.

Here's a small sampling of some of the places I would not miss if I were touring the US to ride fun challenging singletrack.

Wow! cool! Thanks so much fpr the input guys... I can't wait.. Hey I can't wait to get back on my spot after riding a tandem for 6 months!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome. Great write up in the other thread as well.

So, for Austin TX bike information: austinbike.com
    Also look for ride calls/post up at Austin Voodoo forum for guided greenbelt tours.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Definitely check out Harrisonburg, Virginia area. Shenandoah Bicycle Company is right downtown and they can give you the scoop on the best rides and maps. Super cool guys. My starter recommendations are the Southern Traverse (an IMBA epic) and Brailey Pond. There are dozens of other epic rides you could put together in this area as well. Bring your lungs, cause the climbs are bigger than you'd expect for this area!

mtbr member
    Rich,

Just read ya other thread - what an adventure you two are on. If you decide you are going to make it to Phoenix, Arizona let me know - we would be happy to look after a couple of fellow Aussies while you are in town. Even if it is the middle of summer you can still ride here - it just has to be very, very early or at night.