Thread: Tour De Corn

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

Tour De Corn: iowa turner gathering?

hey all you midwestern turnerphiles and fellow homers. yes even you non-homers. theres been some talk recently of a turner gathering out this way come the thaw sometime in the sping and it seems for some very odd reason iowa, particularly sioux city, keeps commin up as the place to do such a party. well thats cool with me. the beer is ultra cold, quite cheap and 2 blocks away plus we have a huge yard for tents if ya dont wanna pay the motel bill. dont mind the odus turds.

the ridin out here is not so bad but lacks techy stuff. just a good handfull of short, tight twisty, wooded trails with substancially steep climbs http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4547crx.aspx . if we travel within a hour we can be in a huge park with tons of camping and some pretty sweet singeltrack http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_4561crx.aspx . another hour and yer in omaha which opens up alot of possibilities and some buff trails that chalenge a strong rider and becomes more tech http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4561crx.aspx and http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_4561crx.aspx .
    theres also this http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_4547crx.aspx but ive yet to check it out though i hear its about as sweet as it gets in these parts.

its no mecca but its fun and worth a short trip out here unless yer on someone elses dime then damn the distance. theres certainly better but hardly any less expensive which is one reason i dig this place. need parts? i run a shop and can have stuff in hand the next day without next day air charges if the timeing is right, one of the perks of bein so close to 3 vendors warehouses. if ya can work on yer own stuff i have a home shop at yer disposal.

think on it, post on it. lets see what shakes out of this old sack when its kicked about.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 03-22-2006 at 09:56 PM. Reason: cuz i friggin can!
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Let us know when CC, I will be roadtriping out to the desert a few times this spring but I have a close riding buddy who is from Omaha, maybe I could roadtrip with him out there for a 3 day weekend or something, I love riding new locales and I miss the tight ST in the trees.

when is all up to you guys. majority rules. im thinkin may, june latest to avoid the somewhat nutty humidity.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    That's out of my range at the moment, but SS and JNC better hurry up with their South East gathering before I spend my airfare on UGI.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

oh please. just get out here ya friggin whiner. southwest has $200 rt fares from nyc to omaha.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our cars, but in our Wives.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 03-23-2006 at 10:24 AM.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    That's out of my range at the moment, but SS and JNC better hurry up with their South East
    Seriously. I've been sitting on a cache of SkyMiles for some time 'cause they're so frickin hard to redeem. Some notice would be helpful!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

My cup runneth over
    Will the Tour de Corn include a Tour de Boat Ramp????

indeed it will. bring yer pfd and a rope so we can pull ya back up from the current as they all now sit in the mighty mo.

we will ride ponca, the site of the questionable drop and many miles of succulent singeltrack. theres even a short dh run with some pretty big drop ins. this place rocks!

we will ride stone park. short, steep, tight and fast! dirt like velcro. theres some drops i wanna look at and a sweet log ride too. maybe we can ride the secret trail if the farmers are down.

we will ride lewis and clark state park. very much like stone but bigger fun. some small stunts, exposure and lush, tacky ground. my personal fave.

and we will ride platte river state park. bigger stunts and some super steep climbs. may be the highlite of the tour with its quick and winding 1 track through a beautiful forest.

theres also some cool urban possibilities ive just started to explore. i see a night ride into downtown with full pads and beer money.

add to that a freeride park another mtbr guy named thrilseeker has built in yankton, s.d., about 45 min from here or ponca. his pics are sick as he is but he assures me theres more tame stuff for beginners and everything in between. check out the great plains forum for his posts and pics. im sure hed have zero probs with us commin out.

edit: friggin pics wont load. ill get to em later.
    re edit: i still dont see em. maybe they will magicly show up later. for now, i give up!
    re edit the re edit: screw it. i made individual posts for each trail system.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 03-23-2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: pics didnt load
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    hey CC, I was at a meeting last night where the IOHVCC (?) parks got a lot of attention. Any mountain biking at these facilities? Saw some good info on the amount of public land in Iowa and the efforts that went into these OHV parks.

im not yet into the trails committes and the land access stuff but i want to. i do know theres a ton of work bein done in iowa and nebraska with south dakota hot on our heals im told. you might know more than i do. new stuff is bein built as we speak and more is bein discussed. too bad its not here in town.
    No, I'm NOT back!

heres ponca state park in nebraska about 45 min away. great camping here but not very remote in most places. there are a few spots if yer lucky and some other good spots if ya dont mind neighbors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

this is stone state park in sioux city iowa. theres campin here but its 15 min down the road so dont bother unless the odus bombs scare ya. the loese soil is super tacky and fun to rail. theres also a new place called the quary thats even closer but i havent been since i heard of it due to wet ground and availability. im told its a hoot and more fun than stone.
    No, I'm NOT back!

movin south now to platte river state park outside of omaha where the climbs kill and the downs reward. this place is fun and has enough options to wear ya out. campin is close by and cabins are trailside if ya book in advance. well in advance we found out. theres also supposed to be great urban and some city owned trails in omaha. then its off to lewis and clark.
    No, I'm NOT back!

on the way to platte or back to sioux city is lewis and clark state park in councel bluff, iowa. i dug this trail system a ton! theres some lung bustin climbs and some rippin downhills all on super skinny 1 track burried in the woods atop a bluff which has some sizeable exposure at times. its got jumps and stunts and ill bet more we didnt find yet. a real gem.
    No, I'm NOT back!