mtbr member

Top tube scarring on pack

Hi

I posted up a couple weeks back asking how heavy other folks scarring was on their top tubes and Mr DT wanted to see a pic so here you go.

The pic w/o the flash shows the scarring the best and the second show's how the nice reflective sheen has all but disappeared compared with the downtube.

So what do you think? Is this normal for a bike that has only been riden no more than 8 times due to illness and injury? (And still isn't due to illness again )

If I'm being a whinging pom, then fair enough but I did pay equivalent to $170 for the colour upgrade so I perhaps was expecting more.

But anyway, I'd like to know how I can polish the top tube up before putting protective tape over it, which is proving difficult to get over here. Bikezilla thanks for your advice, re the 3m stuff

Cheers
    The Whinging Pom

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    try www.justridingalong.com for helicopter tape.

Lay off the Levers
    I'm not sure myself what's normal since I've always put 3M tape on my new frames, usually before building them up. I did find that the shine on the tape made even the hazy areas I did not get first, look better w/o polishing. Even the tape gets hazy and scuffed after a while but I'll bet polish could fix that.

If you can't get the tape where you are, try Esquire at Botique Bikes or Larry at Mountain High Cyclery.

From the pictures It looks like the width of the area scratched is pretty wide. Seems unlikely that cables would move that far from the center...hard to tell from the photos though. I've seen cable rub cut a notch in welds in high movement areas so PC and paint isn't going to be tougher than that.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful regarding your problem though. Best bet is to send the pictures to Greg at Turner and give him a call.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Looks like the brake hose is moving side to side, possibly when the suspension is compressing? Try a hose guide in the center of the top tube to secure the brake hose, I agree with Zilla the cables shouldn't scratch the top tube that much.

banned
    sorry, but do you intend to ride your bike, or put it on the wall to have a wank-provocation?

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    wank-provocation?

I hereby request to add this to the current Homer vernacular.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    "wank-provocation?" I hereby request to add this to the current Homer vernacular.
    Bwahahah!!! I second that.

Wank-provocation: See FMB

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

cable guide

The wear area is very wide, so either the top tube is being sat upon with muddy shorts or the rear brake hose is very loose and rubbing the top tube with mud. No paint will withstand being abraded with muddy compound without scratching. If it is the hose you can put a little plastic hose guide in the middle of the to weld on's. That will stop if from flopping about. You can use the same compound that a car polisher would and shine it up, then wax it to get the finish back after you have cured the abrasion issue.

Happy Trails

DT

banned
    I've had good results with recovering the Turner PC finish using the brown polishing liquid they use in body shops. Number 7 makes a fantastic one for these applications that's cheap as hell. No machine necessary, but can help, so long as you don't go too far in one spot with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The paint on the top tube of my spot got badly scratched by the plastic edges of my race face rally armour. I've since had it stove enamelled dark metallic orange, I'll get round to posting some pictures one day. I've now covered the entire top tube as well as various other wear prone areas with clear tape I got from the local graphics shop. All but invisible and a square metre cost me a quid. Bargain.

outclassed by his bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SpannerMatthews
    I posted up a couple weeks back asking how heavy other folks scarring was on their top tubes and Mr DT wanted to see a pic so here you go.

I have the exact same symptom with my Burner. I don't have hose on the top tube (mechanical discs), so it's not that. My hypothesis is that it is caused by something about the way I dismount under certain circumstances - e.g., made it halfway up the steep pitch and had to bail awkwardly. I must inadvertently be catching the cable with the inside of my thigh and dragging it down the side of the top tube or something. Plus I do think the paint is soft.

Lay off the Levers
    I don't think any finish is going to hold up to repeated rubbing by a steel cable or plastic hose. Just try some super fine sandpaper, the kind that feels smooth as paper itself, and you'll see it'll scuff up just about anything with just a few rubs. Cables and hoses are even more abrasive than that. I've had a plastic hose rub right through the hard black ano on the crown on my Zoke fork in just a couple of rides.

Maybe there is a finish tough enough to hold it's shine but I haven't seen it....but I haven't seen how a lot of other finishes hold up either.

mtbr member

3m Paint Protection

3m paint protection tape is avalible on ebay in bulk rolls of any size. Pretty much all the products mentioned here are same 3m product with different adhesives. The auto paint protection film goes on with water (with 5 drops of shampoo per 32 oz) and comes off with a hair dyer when the time comes.