Large member

Tool advice please

For once, no juvenile content (yet.... )

I'm thinking of investing in a decent cordless drill-driver for general work around the house. I've been through a few Black and Decker and Bosch over the years but they never seem to last. I've decided to invest a bit more in something of quality and I've been looking at DeWalt and Makita. The links below are the two (and around the price) that I've been looking at so far.

I kind of feel like I'll be paying for the name with DeWalt and I know the company was recently sold (although I do have one of their screwdrivers that seems very well made). Makita seem to have been around for ever and look like solid, no-nonsense stuff. Any other (fairly global) brands I need to look at? Hitachi?

Anyone know about this stuff? What should I be looking for in terms of brand/features, etc.?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10013/...i-Drill-Driver

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/mak...s-p-67243.html

Cheers,

TB

Roy
    mtbr member
    Surprised you haven't received tons of responses. High end brands:

- Dewalt
    - Porter Cable
    - Rigid
    - Makita
    - Bosch - surprises me that this one hasn't lasted for you
    - Hitachi? - not sure about them but they charge a high end price

My preference is for PC but all of these are good. The batteries will fail before the drill does with any of these so it'd just be a matter of getting new batteries.

More volts = more power = bigger/heavier

Making fat cool since '71
    +1 for Porter Cable. I've been happy with the few of their tools I own including a cordless drill.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    makita 18v drill driver all the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    surprised that Bosch didn't work out for you, I've considered them one of the best, good warranty program, did you take advantage of it?

I'm all Bosch now after many years of Makita, wish Bosch had a battery vacuum cleaner though. My old Makita screwdriver/drill is over 20 years old and still works.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    surprised that Bosch didn't work out for you, I've considered them one of the best, good warranty program, did you take advantage of it?

I'm all Bosch now after many years of Makita, wish Bosch had a battery vacuum cleaner though. My old Makita screwdriver/drill is over 20 years old and still works.
    They do, but you need to come out to Germany to get them. Here, they make everything, and now coupled with Siemens, everything in your home and car can be outfitted with Bosch, from your fridge to your vacuum.

i should add that i looked for the right 1 for a long time. we had dewalts in the shop and those worked well but some time spent in the construction industry in a former life taught me theres nuthin like the performance, dependability, longevity and warranty of makita. sounds familliar, dont it?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Lay off the Levers
    Tools?

I'm sure you have one of these:

Extra Large Ewe Truss. Helps in preventing a prolapse or holding back a replaced uterus. Allows ewe to lamb normally. Applies pressure on key points. Made from rot-resistant nylon webbing and leather with quick-release buckles. Fully washable. In hi-vis orange. Made in England.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Tools?

I'm sure you have one of these:
    I am surprised it took this long to reach this level.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member

If I were you

I would make sure you get a drill with hammer mode. You would be surprised how many times you will need it.

Large member
    Thanks for all the responses, not heard of PC or Rigid but will look them up. Went out for a look around this afternoon and I do like the look and feel of Makita.

I believe Bosch has two levels, green (for home use) and blue (for trade/pro use). Mine have so far been the green ones but I may try the blue.

CC - funnily enough I did think of our old chum when I started investigating Makita. Did you take that pic just for me?

Zilla, thanks for that. I actually don't have one yet as I found the buckles chafe when I rub the lard in. Made in England, though, which must count for something.

Any views on voltage? I thought the 12v were a bit lightweight and the 18v could be a bit big and heavy for those small jobs around the house, like putting up the sheep mesh. That's why I was thinking 14.4v - the chap in the shop suggested that the torque generated by the premium brands negates the need to go too high on the volts. Is this a steaming pile of New Zealand rugby?

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by prooperator
    I would make sure you get a drill with hammer mode. You would be surprised how many times you will need it.
    You're right, I always seem to need go into Hammer mode on the dancefloor

~~~~~~~~
    18V hammer drill is very tiring.
    buying seperate charger and batteries for lower voltage tools when you have a bunch of higher voltage tools is a bummer, but light weight screwdrivers are a better deal than carpal tunnel surgery. I think I've seen chargers now that do multiple voltages.

I spent a lot of time deciding who to go with when it came time to update mine, the Bosch warranty and their boombox was what helped me decide.

that pic was a goof durrin last nights sultan build party. sorry.

a big vote for 18v here. power baby! not that heavy even for all day use and i have little arm strength after i busted mine in half. m makita came with 2 batteries, a charger, case and a sweet tool belt for about 2 hunny ifric but that was 5 years ago so who really knows? the downside is it makes yer eyes bug out somethin terrible!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    makita 18v drill driver all the way!

CC, schedule an eye exam IMMEDIATELY
    Astigmatic Visionary

Bring Back Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard

I believe Bosch has two levels, green (for home use) and blue (for trade/pro use). Mine have so far been the green ones but I may try the blue.

Any views on voltage?
    Go for Bosh blue 36v - they're actually not that heavy - I've used mine all day and not had any issues. It's nice to have a cordless hammer drill which can take a bit of a beating - [my previous De Walts have not lasted]. The new 18v Makitas are prone to burning out if you use them at high torque levels for extended periods. You can also get pretty good deals on a whole Bosh 36v kit, (circ. saw, hammer drill and sabre saw). the other thinig is that your obviously in the Uk so Bosh will be even better value.

There you are. My 2p worth.

trail fairy
    For once, no juvenile content (yet.... )

I'm thinking of investing in getting drilled for general work around the house. I've drilled a few Black and Decker's and Bosch over the years but they never seem to last. I've decided to invest a bit more in something of quality and I've been looking at DeWalta and Makita both from Russia. The links below are the two (and around the price) that I've been looking at so far.

other (fairly global) brands I need to look at? I like Hedi

Anyone know about this stuff? What should I be looking for in terms of brand/features, etc.?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10013/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/DeWalt-DW984k2-14-4V-Combi-Drill-Driver

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/makita-8280d-144v-combi-drill-13ah-nicad-batteries-p-67243.html

Cheers,

TB
    Drilling time ohh ughh ughh

I'd go with Makita myself
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

TLL
    mtbr member
    Tidy, DeWalt or Makita will do the job equally well, contractors that I know run them 50/50. Though the Tool rental business pretty much uses Makita exclusively, that should tell you something.

Forget the hammer drill feature, you do not need it. Rent a Bosch or a Kango when that time comes. 14.4 V should be enough.

I used to be in the tool rental biz, if that helps.

Large member
    Thanks guys. I think I've seen a good deal on the 14.4v Makita (with 2 batteries, bits and tool box free - the 18v jumps quite a lot in price) which would leave me enough in budget to also get a Bosch blue corded hammer drill. That should keep things covered nicely, but mustn't tell the wife as I'll suddenly find a list of drilling related jobs that need doing (insert wife-drilling joke here, someone has to).

I didn't notice anything different about CC's eyes, they always look like that.

TA, nice editing

trail fairy
    Thanks guys.

TA, nice editing
    Always a pleasure buddy, did u clic yr links

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Large member
    No, but I have now. My life is now complete

Lay off the Levers
    I bought a Bosh lithium driver.
    Tiny, powerful, expensive and slow. Great for driving can't drill worth a chit.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

trail fairy
    No, but I have now. My life is now complete
    Ahh buddy not quite!

Once ya come to NZ AK I'll take ya to Eden Park we'll watch the ABs and thee Red Rose play some rugga's @ the WC, leave the family at the mall with the CC and I'll show ya some kiwi trails!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Large member
    Well, in the end I got the 14.4v Makita and a Bosch blue SDS hammer wired drill. The house is starting to look a bit rough as I go around randomly drilling holes in stuff. Thanks for the advice all.

Also, apropos of nothing I bought a pair of Sennheiser PXC350 headphones. Bloody great.

trail fairy
    Thanks for the advice all.

Also, apropos of nothing I bought a pair of Sennheiser PXC350 headphones. Bloody great.
    Youre welcome I hope Makita looks after you as well as she has me

And and if you'd asked I woulda hooked up a brotha with some real headphones ya'll

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs