mtbr member

too much for a flux...20mm maxle?

I knew it, i started out with the aim of 'knocking up' a cheap build for the flux and now i'm looking at a set of kings and reba teams (i do miss the kings i had ages ago). Basically, having only had 20mm thru bolts (on pikes) on my last Spot, is 20mm on a flux overkill?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is no such thing as "overkill", I'd run it. Quick release is overkill to grandpa biking 3 mph.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I would say the over kill will be in the travel dept, not the axle spec. Keep it 120mm or less and all is good. One thing I see though, is that 20 mm is being killed off at the smaller fork level with 15mm being the dominant spec on all brands for models having less than 160mm of travel. If you get a good deal on hub and fork combo than it don't matter!

DT

mtbr member
    cheers Dave,

between my post and your reply ive been thinking about what i really want the bike for and it dawned on me that for my riding style and intended usage QR will be just fine.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    There are a number of factors which may nifluence your decision between QR and 20mm.

Bike Build: If your flux is built up on the burly side then a 15 or 20mm would be a consideration, light = QR

Rider weight: a heavier rider would benefit from the added stiffness of a 15 20mm setup.

Riding style: an energetic riding style with aggressive cornering, 15/20mm

Terrain: smooth and flowy, I'd say QR if you must. Throw in some tech, gimme 15/20mm

Today's thru axle forks are a breeze to change wheels and are only marginally heavier than QR. There are a lot more steerer tube options with thru axle as well. QR are getting harder to find. Break a QR drop out and you might have a hard time finding a set of lowers in the future.

Having said that, a deal is a deal.

mtbr member
    thanks telebiker... im not a heavy dude (69kgs) but do like to ride 'energetically'. not a full on XCer and the build will reflect this. 15mm its gonna be (120mm reba RLT)

just got the polishing kit today so spending many happy hours over the next few days taking her from a RAW state to a nice polished one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    no, but i would personally stay away from qr if i could. The 15 and 20mm standards are just better in every sense. Zero hassle and stiff. Qr = noodly and a hassle.

Personally i have two dw flux' (hopeless i know, but i work and live in two very seperate places and bringing the bikes back and forth are just too much of an hassle). A medium commuter/xc beast and a small i am building up as a light trailkiller. The former has a 15mm 120mm fork on it, the latter a 130mm fork and a 1.5 degree off set headset with 20mm king wheels. I have yet to try the latter with the new fork, but i think it will end up being a ton of fun. My only concern for it is the 721rims which are a bit excessive, but given time i can always swap things around in the rim department. With a 40mm stem and bars at 760mm the use of the bike is probably not in par with most other flux owners, but i am really really looking forward to trying it. I think it will be a blast.

My general all mountain bike is a 2012 5 spot with a 160mm fork and a headset producing something between 1.5 and 2 degrees off set. I'm not sure if pushing it that far down the slack route was the best of ideas, but time will tell.

i'll post some photos of the beauties when i get around to it, but needless to say i love my turners

and yes, thanks dave - i really, really enjoy the bikes you design and build. Too bad my makulu is currently doing too good a job to warrent a dhr replacement

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i ran my flux with a set of tuned-down rs revs with a 20mm maxle. they were running at 120mm travel.

personally, 15mm would be perfectly adequate in my book.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Pretty sure Kings can be converted from 20 to 15. With a regular QR you can convert to 15 ,but not 20.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    My sig pretty much says it all for me on this issue.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

GAME ON!
    i have a 20mm axle on a rigid steel fork. overkill? not hardly.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    so next question;

are i9 enduro's overkill on a flux?

GAME ON!
    that is a pretty broad question. i9 is simply a brand of hub. they can be used for anything you want. so to answer your question, no. on to the next question; is _______ overkill? also, no.
    RIP Adam Yauch

mtbr member
    .. 3 wives?

GAME ON!
    as long as they each let you have 3 separate bikes.
    RIP Adam Yauch