formoverfunxtion

New question here. TNT vs. HL (what is tnt)

I think I've seen pics of the TNT design and the horst link design on the 5-spot and cant tell the difference to save my life. I am sort of confused as I purchased a supposed HL 5-spot late 2006 (2005 model, used) amd dont see any difference. If someone would grace me with some technical details, photos and such it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

long standing member
    Start here. Then go here. Somebody else can explain the technical stuff better than I, but the biggest visible/structural difference is that the rear suspension pivot is on the chainstay with the Horst (the actual Horst link) and on the seatstay with TNT. Don't be suprised if not a lot of people respond, because many are tired of the conversation (no offense intended, of course, I didn't know until I asked, either).

formoverfunxtion
    Thanks mate, I guess Im just slow to the game. I just recently came into the full suspension realm, coming from a hardtail santacruz chamelon setup XC. Its hard to follow Bikezillas thread.

thanks again

formoverfunxtion
    BUT. Are there any pics out there (clear and legible) that I can compare with? There has to be. There has to be.......

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by formoverfunxtion
    Thanks mate, I guess Im just slow to the game. I just recently came into the full suspension realm, coming from a hardtail santacruz chamelon setup XC. Its hard to follow Bikezillas thread.
    Me too, coming off a Kona HT, just about to finish building up my RFX. I agree that the threads are a little hard to follow, mostly it's just a lot of people b1tchin and moanin. Bikezilla just put all those threads together in one place for everyone's reading pleasure.

The consensus among those who have ridden Turners with both types of suspension is that there isn't much difference in performance. Some prefer the TNT. Some prefer the Horst. The TNT review thread can give you the details, if you're interested.

Elitest thrill junkie
    "It's dynamite".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Lay off the Levers
    Most simplisticly, the HL has a pivot on the chainstay Lower horizontal part of the rear triangle. The TNT has the pivot on the seatstay which is the upper diagonal part of the rear triangle. The review thread has more pix but compare this to your own bike.

The technical (theoretical) differences is covered in the threads adnausium. The reviews show the results. That's pretty much it. Cheers!

Both kinds side by side. The chainstay is on the right of each.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 01-11-2007 at 07:18 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

long standing member
    BUT. Are there any pics out there (clear and legible) that I can compare with? There has to be. There has to be.......
    Pics from this thread.

TNT - pivot at the seatstay/chainstay junction is on the seatstay.

Horst - pivot at the SS/CS junction is on the CS.

Looking at it doesn't really tell you much. As you can tell.

formoverfunxtion
    NICE. OK. I SEE IT NOW.

I see it.

Thank you gentlemen....

Is it that much of a difference to where they had to change the pivot point? I guess I dont know enough about bikes.

thanks again. I think its all gimmicky.

formoverfunxtion
    WHOA. WAY DIFFERENT. That pic with the pumpkin in the backgound tells the story.

Maybe I should purchase a TNT rear end for nostalgia. Change them up.

thanks guys.

formoverfunxtion
    DYANAMITE is right. Isnt that what tnt is anyway?

long standing member
    Maybe I should purchase a TNT rear end for nostalgia.
    Actually, a Horst link bike would be the nostalgic purchase since that one's not made anymore. They can be found on the used market. If you're interested check the classifieds.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Actually, a Horst link bike would be the nostalgic purchase since that one's not made anymore. They can be found on the used market. If you're interested check the classifieds.
    Maybe he knows something we don't know...given the rumor of the return of the H.L.

I smell bait regardless. (note the username)!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Maybe he knows something we don't know...given the rumor of the return of the H.L.
    I hadn't heard that rumor. Care to elaborate?

I smell bait regardless. (note the username)!
    I had that thought also, but I was waiting for a flamey reply and never got one, so... :shrugs:

If it was an attempt at baiting, it was a poor effort.

trail fairy
    Um smells like bait
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0