Delirious Tuck

TNT Sultan to DW Sultan??? Mystery of the missing links...

Okay, not so much missing but extra.

I had a L 2008 TNT sultan and just upgraded to an XL DW Sultan. I swapped all parts, same cassette, same derailiers front and rear, same cranks (and crank rings), and same chain.

I actually had just resized the chain on the TNT a weekend ago (two over lap from biggest ring front to biggest cog rear), I was expecting that the TNT with shorter stays would require me to add links back in or just use a shiny new chain on the longer stayed DW sultan. Needless to say it blew my mind when I sized from big to big on the DW and ended up having to pull an additional 4 links out of the system.

My buddies and I have been trying to sort this one out, anyone have any ideas?

Powered by ice cream.
    Did you take the shock off and cycle the suspension? You might need the links back.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    ^^ Wheel moves back slightly at the start of the travel.

Delirious Tuck
    Hmm... I did not cycle the suspension with the shock off... good call. I did put about 4-5 hours on it this weekend with no issues in Big/Big... I'll take a look tonight.

Even if I am tight now, I'm curious as to why it'd be so much shorter than the older shorter chainstay'd TNT model.

mtbr member
    Why are you saying the TNT had shorter stays? They are both listed at 18.2".

Delirious Tuck
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/Catalog/0...Rcatalogsm.pdf

Pg 4., 17.3''

EDIT: Am I missing something from catalog to production? Even if they are the same length, why would it be significantly shorter, literally sized the chain a week or two before building the DW link.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing it was a typo. No way is there only .4" of difference between the Spot & Sultan stay length from that year. Notice the Spot stays didn't change in length from TNT to DW...iirc, the Sultan's didn't either.

Delirious Tuck
    Hmmm... I'm actually going to measure this tonight and see if they are the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar
    Hmmm... I'm actually going to measure this tonight and see if they are the same.
    What did you come up with?

Delirious Tuck
    Work has been crazy. Will update tonight...

Delirious Tuck
    It was a typo, Center of BB to Center of rear axle is 18.2''. Still confused as to how I'm 4 links shorter, I have about 8 hours on the bike now with no issues. Oh well, one of the mysteries of life up there with Nessy of the Loch.