mtbr member
    May 2008

TNT Sultan and 3" travel fork...anyone tried this?

Hi all

I currently ride a steel 29er hardtail but I'm thinking about adding a Turner. I really like the big wheels and I also really like the clean lines of the Turner bikes, however the new DW Sultan is way to much bike for where I ride.

So I'm thinking about finding a 2007 or 08 TNT Sultan and use it with a 80 mm travel fork (A to C 478 mm).

Anyone tried this...?

Anyway to get a TNT Sultan other than a used one from e.g. Ebay...?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A TNT Sultan is a great endurance racing style of bike. I rode and loved one for two seasons. As far as an 80 mm fork, I think that might jack the geo around a bit, and you would be better off running 100 mm, a little on the firm side.

Or you can buy a U-Turn Rockshock fork of one kind or another, or an older Fox that can be switched from 80 to 100 with the simple removal/insertion of a small plastic spacer, and try it both ways.

Note that the newer Fox forks with the FIT damping cartridges cannot be increased in travel from their original length. You can shorten a 100 mm to 80 mm but you CANNOT lengthen a 100 mm to 120 mm, etc.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

slow up hill
    I have a TNT sultan and i rode it with an 80mm fork while i was waiting on parts to arrive for the 100mm conversion.

Its rideable, but the steering was extremely quick and i felt my weight was much too biased on the front.

i had a couple washout incidences due to the above and the twitchiness was not so awesome on the downhills (steered awesome in the tight singletrack though)

80mm was rideable, 100mm feels much better and i wish i could try 120.

Rider and Wrench
    I have an 08 TNT Sultan and have run an 09 Reba Team set at 100mm and an 09&10 Fox 120mm all of which have more offset than most of the older 29er forks though the manitou 29er has less than both even in 2010-

2010 Fox F29- 44mm offset
    2010 RS Reba 29 46mm offset
    2010 Manitou minute 29 41.28 offset

I personally like the the feel of the bike with the 120mm Fox , but the 2009 Reba set at 100mm felt fine as well just a bit faster steering.

I guess if you really wanted to try it you may want to try a newer manitou which has a bit less offset (41.28) and a C to A of 490mm in the 80mm version (I Think manitou has one of the longer c to a's?)- or an older reba which has less offset, these combined with whichever fork has the longest crown to axle lenght may help keep the steering a bit slower and possibly less weight on the front end as some have already mentioned as a possible pit fall- A longer stem and wider bars can help slow the steering down but also add to the front end weight....

Good luck-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I have an 08 TNT Sultan and have run an 09 Reba Team set at 100mm and an 09&10 Fox 120mm all of which have more offset than most of the older 29er forks though the manitou 29er has less than both even in 2010-

2010 Fox F29- 44mm offset
    2010 RS Reba 29 46mm offset
    2010 Manitou minute 29 41.28 offset

I personally like the the feel of the bike with the 120mm Fox , but the 2009 Reba set at 100mm felt fine as well just a bit faster steering.

I guess if you really wanted to try it you may want to try a newer manitou which has a bit less offset (41.28)
    The Manitou 29ers have a 47.6 offset - I think you may be looking at the 26er offsets there.
    Last edited by cutthroat; 03-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    The Manitou 29ers have a 47.6 offset - I think you may be looking at the 26er offsets there.
    Thanks for pointing that out I did a quick search and found this site- http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=FK5336

it lists the 21.48 offset on the 2010 Minute 29er specs (of course after review it seems the info was simply click and pasted from the generic (26er minute specs....) , that's what I get for trusting every thing I read on the internet-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    Hi all

I currently ride a steel 29er hardtail but I'm thinking about adding a Turner. I really like the big wheels and I also really like the clean lines of the Turner bikes, however the new DW Sultan is way to much bike for where I ride.

So I'm thinking about finding a 2007 or 08 TNT Sultan and use it with a 80 mm travel fork (A to C 478 mm).

Anyone tried this...?

Anyway to get a TNT Sultan other than a used one from e.g. Ebay...?
    I've got a Reba 120 w/528 a>c at full travel, sometimes I lower it to 90 for STEEP climbs but I couldn't imagine riding it like that any other time. At 90mm the a>c would be 498 and around a 71.5 HA, so at 478 your looking at around a 72.5 HA, OTB city!

Snapper

yeap

I am currently riding a TNT with a Fox set at between 80 and 90mm and it is super quick steering. I dont mind it as the TNT is my race bike. I have run it with Manitou 120 and Reba 120 and felt like it messed up the geo too much. I once had the Fox at 110 which felt great (but have slammed it down for my SS). I would highly suggest that 100mm on a TNT is perfect. I also have a DW and run it always in 120mm. Contact Turner and see if they have any 08 TNTs available otherwise pick up one check through the classifieds here on MTBr. I did and had it sent to Australia for a faction of the cost of something new. I usually buy secondhand and have never been sorry.
    Good luck
    JD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the useful feedback.

My plan was to have two frames (hardtail and full sus) that can use mostly the same parts.

Sadly I can't afford to have 2 complete builds (and don't have room for them in my appartment) but I have noticed that everytime I own a hardtail I miss having a full sus and when I have a full sus I miss my hardtail.

Anyway, sounds like the 80 mm will be to short for the Sultan....might check out the 3" Lev or the new Jet instead. Or just buy a Sultan and a new fork. Lots of choises

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster
    I have a TNT sultan and i rode it with an 80mm fork while i was waiting on parts to arrive for the 100mm conversion.

Its rideable, but the steering was extremely quick and i felt my weight was much too biased on the front.

i had a couple washout incidences due to the above and the twitchiness was not so awesome on the downhills (steered awesome in the tight singletrack though)

80mm was rideable, 100mm feels much better and i wish i could try 120.
    I ran the FOX RLC 120mm for a year or so but reduced the travel to 100mm.
    100mm feel much more comfortable and balanced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977
    Thanks for all the useful feedback.

My plan was to have two frames (hardtail and full sus) that can use mostly the same parts.

Sadly I can't afford to have 2 complete builds (and don't have room for them in my appartment) but I have noticed that everytime I own a hardtail I miss having a full sus and when I have a full sus I miss my hardtail.

Anyway, sounds like the 80 mm will be to short for the Sultan....might check out the 3" Lev or the new Jet instead. Or just buy a Sultan and a new fork. Lots of choises
    FWIW, the reba 29 fork (even the low-level OEM SL) is an awesome performing fork, and used reba 29er forks are a dime a dozen on ebay. I'd vote picking up a 100mm fork and building the tnt sultan; it's a great bike.