mtbr member
    Dec 2003

TNT Spot Shock Recommendation

It is getting time to rebuild or replace the rear shock on my 2008 TNT Spot. I presently have the stock RP23 and I am between having it pushed and replacing it with something else.

I am 225 pounds and ride in Northern California. Most of my riding in the bay area (and I ride a hardtail here most of the time) with the remainder up in Tahoe or Downieville. The bike has a Magura Thor 140mm on the front that was just recently rebuilt.

While the RP23 feels pretty good it has always felt like a compromise between a lack of small bump compliance and midrange support. I am unsure if Push can fix that. I am also unsure for my riding conditions and weight if a larger piggyback shock would be worth the investment. I will probably be doing some riding at Northstar and Whistler this summer as I have a 9 year old that is hell bent and intent on some downhill riding.

I am a big Manitou fan and have thought about trying a Radium or Swinger. I have heard some good things about the Marzocchi Roco shocks, but am concerned about their support and reliability. The Rockshox shocks are off the list as it appears that they have had questionable reliability and parts availability is poor. Finally, it looks like Fox has the new Float X which may be a good shock.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yup d new float x is nice.

Team Blindspot
    Call Push and talk to them about your concerns and what you are looking for, they will help.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Stock Monarch Plus is a fantastic shock on the TNT RFX. Way better than rp23, dhx, and van that I tried stock and pushed. Can't imagine it would be much different experience on the 5 spot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

TNT Spot Shock Recommendation

Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.
    Riding slowly since 1977.