mtbr member

TNT/HL: Some Quantitative Data

I make no guarantee that the data presented is 100% accurate, but it's certainly representative.

I told myself I'd only spend 10 minutes doing this because I's sooner watch my lawn grow than read another post about pivot placements, but here's what I found when I looked at threads that mentioned TNT, HL, faux bar, four bar, or some other indication that the thread was related to the new pivot location.

There have been 49 threads.
    There have been 1294 posts.
    There have been 64,766 views.

Since Bikezilla started his thread about realworld feedback from people who actually rode a TNT equipped bike, 11 threads have received more views and 13 threads have received more posts.

I find it odd that threads with emotional tones; with content that is frequently speculative; with input from people whose expertise in bicycle suspension design and evaluation is more theoretical than empirical; or threads that have more to do with alpha-male displays of oneupsmanship and competition--have garnered more interest than the a thread that contained at least some evaluative feedback on TNT bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    . . . input from people whose expertise in bicycle suspension design and evaluation is more theoretical than empirical;
    Both theoretical and empirical approaches are important in scientific and technological enterprises.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Even though I tend to agree with your views, the data in Bikezilla's post .... the ride reviews.....contain qualitative data, not quantitative data. They are ride reports. They are personal assessments of ride quality and very subjective. Steve's posts contain more quantitave data, but are theoretical and do not describe the ridng experience.

The important thing to remember is that even though the ride reports are subjective, they're what truly matters ....THE RIDE.

Speaking of that. I'm going riding.

Lay off the Levers
    Eppiphany!
    Woah, y'mean people actually ride these things?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Eppiphany!
    Woah, y'mean people actually ride these things?
    Apparently not.

Normally, I'd say that my post was just stating the obvious, but after reading all of the posts lately, it appears that it's not obvious to most.

The Ancient One

I ride too.

I bet I ride more than most of you guys. Typically it's 11/2 to 2 hours a day, seven days a week.

I live surrounded by National Forest. I generally just get on the bike and start riding.

I don't work much. I live off an inheritance that keeps me just above the poverty line with no working at all. As a financial fallback I could always sell the land I live on. My family bought it in the late fifties for $1000. It would go now for close to a million because it's on the edge of Jackson Hole.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Steve. I was not trying to imply that you don't ride. In fact, my post was not directed at you. There's almost nothing that hasn't already been voiced about the change to TNT. The posts just keep repeating themselves ad-nausuem.......as if they're hoping DT will change his mind if they keep repeating themselves.

It's done. It's time to ride and decide. Some will like it. Some won't. (Here I go again being master of the obvious).

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Steve. I was not trying to imply that you don't ride. In fact, my post was not directed at you. There's almost nothing that hasn't already been voiced about the change to TNT. The posts just keep repeating themselves ad-nausuem.......as if they're hoping DT will change his mind if they keep repeating themselves.

It's done. It's time to ride and decide. Some will like it. Some won't. (Here I go again being master of the obvious).
    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the theoretical differences are between the two designs. I started off about six years ago trying to figure out the same thing. It ain't over yet.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You know the homers would be ticked

I'm sick of bike companies putting stupid patents on designs. I know, it is a business, but it hurts us all.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 10-22-2005 at 11:47 AM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    [QUOTE=Jaybo]These Turner owners are fanatics about their bikes. They are not going to receive criticisms about their bikes very well. The TNT has hit hard because the very core of a Turner has always been the 4 bar suspension. Now, we still have the superior bushings and great geomety, but the 4 bar is in the rear view mirror. Does it mean anything to ride quality in the real world? I don't know but change to a bike lineup that we all felt was as close to perfect as could be with great customer service. Why screw with success. I hear Ellsworth is threatening a lawsuit. That is just hearsay. There just has to be a strong force that is motivating this company to change its design. Why mess with success! We are rabid about these bikes. Simple.

Jaybo

PS Get a job. I would go nuts not working.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    I find it odd that threads with emotional tones; with content that is frequently speculative; with input from people whose expertise in bicycle suspension design and evaluation is more theoretical than empirical; or threads that have more to do with alpha-male displays of oneupsmanship and competition--have garnered more interest than the a thread that contained at least some evaluative feedback on TNT bikes.
    The uproar about the change to TNT pales in comparison to the uproar some have shown over the uproar about the change to TNT. Those are the folks that should stop beating the dead horse.

I find none of it odd though.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    I bet I ride more than most of you guys. Typically it's 11/2 to 2 hours a day, seven days a week.

I live surrounded by National Forest. I generally just get on the bike and start riding.

I don't work much. I live off an inheritance that keeps me just above the poverty line with no working at all. As a financial fallback I could always sell the land I live on. My family bought it in the late fifties for $1000. It would go now for close to a million because it's on the edge of Jackson Hole.
    Cool. And exactly which weekends are still open this winter for visits from Turner Homers that also ski? I prefer late January and early February, when the coverage is good, but the hordes haven't quite arrived.

Seriously, I bummed the place during 80/81. Man has the scene changed, to say the least!