Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Knollician

TNT coil to DW Air?

I may be changing my TNT Spot with a Avy Chubie to a DW Spot with a RP23. The TNT just kills it with the Avy. Plush, very well dampened, and great traction. I have demo'd a DW a while back, and honestly don't remember what it felt like. I ride in Phoenix, so we have super chunky trails. Has anyone made a similar transition? Do you regret losing the coil on the DW? Keeping the Avy is not an option, even if I did, I would have to have it retuned. Seems like the low compression/rebound tune would override the normal crappy RP23 dampening.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Weren't you a longtime "DW Link sucks" kinda guy?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What type of riding do you do? A 5 spot with a avalanche sounds like a great bike for phoenix, with or without DW link. What are you hoping to gain?

Knollician
    My TNT has passed on to the afterlife. I will be speaking with Greg today about my options. I have researched endlessly and I cannot find another company I would rather deal with, regardless of the suspension design.

mtbr member
    I went from a TNT Spot to a DW Spot, both air. The best advice I can give is do the RP23 shim mod, and try a few different size shims to see what best suits your riding style. For PHX riding start off with a DGC size shim, and go bigger from there. Also, run your rebound on the slow side, first few rides at least.

mtbr member
    I've been extremely pleased with my RP23 equiped DW 5 Spot. So much so I haven't even mounted the MX tuned DHX I received from Push several months ago. The only limitation I've found is the well documented lack of bottom out resistance. I've got the material I need to perform DGC's mod but just haven't found the time to get around to it. I'll be mounting up the DHX today in preparation for a Moab trip next month. I'll let you know what I think when I get in a few rides.

mtbr member
    CTD - The shim mod takes all of 10 minutes, and really helps reduce bottoming.

Moosehead
    Tiss', also recall you not liking your first shakedown ride on the DW Spot, but perhaps that was setup and you going bigger on SoMo gnar, not sure. In addition to the shim mod, many are running coil on the DW here: Decender, Inkpad, others.

I'd be interested in your Avy Chubie if you end up converting to something different.

Knollician
    Thanks for the help. I have read DGCs mod and would certainly have to do it. We don't have any large drops here, nothing over 3 feet anyway. Our terrain is simply relenting and is never smooth. I love the TNT with the AVY, perfect for SOMO, and 30 mile rides in Sedona. Great do all bike.

I have spent several days researching other brands, models, etc, and I have to come back to Turner. They have always taken care of me, and the reality is not too many other companies go the distances Turner does. The new Spot is a bit intriguing to me as it is built a bit more burly, which I think is what i need. SOMO will break any bike. Shoot, I broke my RFX 4 different times. It's not that I am crazy rider or anything, but I do ride 4-5times a week.

When I demo'd the DW, it is only fair to say it was short, and it was at a location I have never ridden. I was not able to demo it on my home soil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

nothing but Turner

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I have researched endlessly and I cannot find another company I would rather deal with, regardless of the suspension design.

in your endless researching, what didn't you like about Ventana & Knolly?
    breezy shade

Knollician
    I have also seen contradictions on the small bump compliance of the DW. What are your thoughts? Harsh or not?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    in your endless researching, what didn't you like about Ventana & Knolly?

I love the classic looks of Ventanas, but I have ridden several of them. I think they ride great but I don't like PP. If I were to get a Ciclon for example, I would have to get a new Avy. I cannot afford to go that route.

The Knolly has been on my radar, but without any real direct knowledge of the bike, or any local dealers, I am unsure. It also seems as though it may be a bit tedious to do the longer XC rides that we throw out there.

LNC has been instrumental in helping me. He has had both the DW and Ciclon. He provided me a very objective review of both bikes and now prefers the DW for a laundry list of reasons. Since he rides similar terrain to what we have, I put serious stock in that.

Finally, I will get a minimum trade in on the DW should I go that direction.
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 04-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Outcast
    Untill someone buys one, and puts it on the dw-spot, we will never know.
    I did it for the horst link spot, it's up to someone else. I don't have dw.
    Ahem:

Knollician
    Since you asked, here are the models I looked at:

Titus El Guapo - Liked the Horst link, don't like the company. Had issues in the past when I had to deal with them

Chumba XCL - liked the horst link, don't know much about the company, not all that excited about their line up

Banshee Rune/Spitfile - emailed back and forth with Keith. He answered all of my questions, great guy. He didn't recommend the Spitfire for our terrain with the low BB. Warranty is crap (bolts, pivots, ect not covered), and issues with premature pivot wear. No local dealers, warranty has to be submitted thorugh a distributor.

Ventana Ciclon - answered in a previous post

Knolly Endo - answered in a previous post

Yeti 575 - Had the previous generation, rode the new generation, too flexy, limited shock options, special tools to remove the shock.

mtbr member
    I have also seen contradictions on the small bump compliance of the DW. What are your thoughts? Harsh or not?

Through air can shimming, or swapping the HV canister for the standard volume RP23 canister, I've found you can tune to either end of the spectrum.

Un-shimmed HV can = super plush small and medium bump, but not enough mid-range support or bottomout resistance.

Standard volume can = significant loss of small bump compliance, well supported mid-range, massive resistance to bottom-out... too much IME. Full travel has yet to be used even while running extra sag.

Shimmed HV can = retains small bump compliance, adds bottom-out resistance. I'm still working with shim size to add mid-range support and more bottom-out control. Just got my HV can back from Fox and have put the largest shim possible in there, but haven't got any saddle time with that shim yet.
    Last edited by AndyN; 04-05-2010 at 01:59 PM.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Untill someone buys one, and puts it on the dw-spot, we will never know.
    I did it for the horst link spot, it's up to someone else. I don't have dw.
    Ahem:

What does that shock do right that the others (coil or air) don't do? Downtube interference?

User serviceability? Hardware? Parts?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    What does that shock do right that the others (coil or air) don't do? Downtube interference?

User serviceability? Hardware? Parts?
    My experience compared to the Pushed RP3 and R.S. monarch that I have:
    The above two mentioned shocks feel very linear to me untill you get to the last 1/4 inch of shock stroke. They also feel dead, overdamped; not lively.
    The H3 feels progressive, and it had a user tuneable bottom out system. The stroke feels longer than the other shocks, and lively.
    No downtube interference issue on my spot or former rfx.
    It's a good air shock, but it's not comparable to a high end coil shock.
    User serviceabilityparts, etc; not. X-fusion is holding onto that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

shim size?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Just got my HV can back from Fox and have put the largest shim possible in there, but haven't got any saddle time with that shim yet.

what is the largest shim possible?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I can tell you, the DW Spot with the MX shock has not only great small bump compliance, tracking very well on semi rough, off camber stuff, but also a near bottomless feel when ripping through the chunk, such as the stuff you have in AZ (I'm in Fort Collins, CO & ride similar terrain). That said, I have never ridden a DW spot with an air shock, but see no reason to try, as I am so stoked on my set-up, best trail bike I have ever turned a pedal on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    what is the largest shim possible?
    You're limited to what will fit inside the outer air can of the HV RP23.

The largest shim I have is 1.2mm thick, 31.5mm wide, and 138mm long. The width and length are maxed out. A slightly thicker shim would work, 1.5mm should be okay, but much thicker than that won't clear the inner can.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Hopefully I'll be able to get out there this weekend tiSSer so you can get a closer look at the bike on the trail. After our ride you can take it back up natty if you want.

not so super...
    My TNT has passed on to the afterlife. I will be speaking with Greg today about my options. I have researched endlessly and I cannot find another company I would rather deal with, regardless of the suspension design.
    you broke my Spot?????
    Nothing to see here.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    you broke my Spot?????

I'd like to say it was because I'm a stud...but more likely because I'm FAT!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Hopefully I'll be able to get out there this weekend tiSSer so you can get a closer look at the bike on the trail. After our ride you can take it back up natty if you want.
    Looks like I will have to miss Friday. Gotta work to pay for a new ride. Saturday, GC, still on.

Team Sanchez
    Saturday, GC, still on.
    OK I'm in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast