BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Tires for 5-spot

I know this is a tire forum ?. but Ill ask you first. Im looking for a 2.3 tubeless tire for Desert riding. I use the vert pros in the mountains were weight is an issue but I want a beefier 2.3. Thinking Gaex Sedonas(or sturdies) or nokian NBX. Anything else I should be thinking of.
    BSG

mtbr member
    I'll give you my 2 cents. Living in So.Utah 90% of what I ride during the year is considered "desert riding". I'm not running UST so this might effect your available options and final choice, but here goes...

I'm currently running a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 up front and a Geax Sturdy 2.25 in the rear for most trails here in So. Utah with great success. Prior to these I ran Nokian NBX 2.3's front and rear and they were OK, but pale in comparision to the Weir/Sturdy combo. I've also got a pair of Maxxis Minion 2.3's (both front specific) with the single ply casing that Krispy at Go-Ride.com runs when he trail rides down in this area, but I haven't tried them yet. Another combo that gets good reviews for desert riding, particularly Moab, are the WTB Motoraptor 2.4's. Anyway let us know what you end up with and how they fair.

No, that's not phonetic
    I just spent the last 2 months logging 1,000 miles in Utah (some with Crash) and second the Weirwolf 2.5 front/Sturdy 2.25 rear. I also tried Mutanos, Blades, and Motos and the Weirwolf/Sturdy combo was definitely the best for all conditions except steep slickrock where a Sturdy/Sturdy was better due to less knob squirm in front. The Sturdy is sick tall and really helps control pinch flats though you have to run a good pressure to keep the tire from folding over on narrow rims.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    ...except steep slickrock where a Sturdy/Sturdy was better due to less knob squirm in front...
    tscheezy,

I ran the Sturdy/Sturdy combo for the first time this past weekend on Church Rocks and quite liked it, particularly on the slickrock sections. We're headed out to Little Creek, things have finally dried up, mid-week and I think I'll leave them on due to the large slickrock playground section towards the end of the trail. Thanks again for tire recommendation.

Which combo did Barney end up perfering? Wasn't she running the Mutano's in Moab? Was this because of the lower rolling resistance? Just curious for the wife's bike.

Crash

No, that's not phonetic
    If you go out to Little Creek Mesa "south" look for the shavings of metallic silver paint on a rock. That is off my frame

Barny is free of the tech-head-demon which plauges the rest of us. I bet I could mount just about any tire on her bike and she would just ride them. I had her on Mutanoraptor 2.4s for a while now since they seem to do reasonably well and are very light for their size. They provide great float in sand and I could run them soft enough for comfort and traction and she never pinched once. She rides conservatively enough that I figured she would not care about high-speed cornering hold or "oh-crap-I-really-should-have-slowed-down-for-that-part" pinch flat protection. Once she starts riding like Missy Giove I'll buy her some real tires.

I put in the request to have the shock shipped down to you. I'll let you know when to look for it.

See ya,
    tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sorry it's looks like it's going to be Little Creek North. I'll have to get Scott, the Yeti ASX hucker, to take me out to Southy and show me the exact location so as to immoratalize the Spot (pun intended) with a small shrine. Anybody have an effigy of Dave Turner and some candles they'd be willing to donate?

Thanks for the loaner. I definately owe you one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hutchinson Spiders???

Does anyone have experience with these tires? They are availble in 2.1 and 2.3 in UST and relatively light for size. Performance has these on sale for $35 less 10% if you are in their club...

Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    I know this is a tire forum ?. but Ill ask you first. Im looking for a 2.3 tubeless tire for Desert riding. I use the vert pros in the mountains were weight is an issue but I want a beefier 2.3. Thinking Gaex Sedonas(or sturdies) or nokian NBX. Anything else I should be thinking of.
    BSG

Bon Vie

New question here. Curious about Kenda Blue Groove & Nevegal

Quote Originally Posted by BSG
    BSG
    I'm looking at the Kenda Blue Groove and Nevegal combo in 2.1s, anyone have experience with this setup? I ride in the midwest on a mixture of rocks over hardpack, imbedded rocks, and roots. Weigh 190 lbs and am not looking for big drops. Any opinions or other suggestions while I'm trying a few different combinations? Currently running Intense CC 2.25s and have tried Pythons (although I used the Pythons in Flagstaff with success). Thanks and enjoy each ride as if it's your last...........