Lay off the Levers

Time pedal & Cleat Q?

A Quick question for you Time users:

I just put new cleats on my SIDIs and have discovered I unclip much too easily and unintentionally. I can even rock my foot L-R and clip out w/o rotating my heel . Any idea what is going on here?

I put the cleats in the long release arrangement (R-cleat on left shoe) just as the ones they were replacing.

Whazzzup with this? My Time Control-Z pedals were so steady and secure before.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

New to the Nicolai Clan

Sole interference

If I was to hazzard a guess I would say that the sole of the Sidi is contacting the pedal body and therefore not giving you a secure clip in.

Nothing that can't be fixed with a sharp knife...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As Momentus said, nothing that can't be fixed with a sharp knife -- just match the cutout on your Sidis to that of the shoes the previously worked well, but......

The French and Italians have seldom played well together!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    try to remove the gravity dropper....that should do it

oh yeah, and what they said

Lay off the Levers
    Thanks Fo. that fixed it.

Maybe I should have mentioned I've been using these shoes and these pedals together for over a year without this problem.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Thanks Fo. that fixed it.

Maybe I should have mentioned I've been using these shoes and these pedals together for over a year without this problem.

Mabye they need to break in? I've heard that cleats can come uncilpped easier as well as harder when new......... I think???

Bodhisattva
    Zilla,
    Any chance the pedal retaining bars are bent?

I recently replaced cleats on my ATAC XS. Didn't notice problems prior but things were sloppy afterwards - similar to what you are describing. Took a closer look at the pedals and several of the retaining bars were bent. Only thing I could piece together is that the pedal and cleat "wore together" so that I didn't notice it before but the problem became evident with new cleats.
    Just a thought...
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Zilla,
    Any chance the pedal retaining bars are bent?

I recently replaced cleats on my ATAC XS. Didn't notice problems prior but things were sloppy afterwards - similar to what you are describing. Took a closer look at the pedals and several of the retaining bars were bent. Only thing I could piece together is that the pedal and cleat "wore together" so that I didn't notice it before but the problem became evident with new cleats.
    Just a thought...
    I just went through the same darn thing. Ended up buying two new sets of pedals, which was a drag, though the old, sloppy ones were both 2 long seasons old. I guess that I've got some spare cleats now, since they came with the pedals!

Side question/semi-hijack for Time users. Anybody know how to realign the cleats just a little bit after being in a hurry and getting ONE OF FOUR not quite right on two new sets of shoes and ending up with a hot knee? The cleats make such a deep impression on the sole that they seem almost impossible to move slightly, unless I grind off some of the cleat's bottom protusions that made the deep dent into the shoe sole.

Mebbe I'll post this on the pedal (or whatever) forum, but I figured that the Homers would know!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Lay off the Levers
    Squeak, Cos, Tnx. I casually glanced at them looking for obvious damage but I'll throw a more critical eye on them. Geeze I hope they aren't toast already, they're less than a year old, but do get banged on the rocks hard and often.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

shoes?

I always seem to wear the sole of the shoe out.Little bar indentations under the cleats.
    So what happens with new cleats are pedals that are really hard to get out of yet loose feeling when clipped in.I wish someone made a stainless steel plate to fit under the cleats.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Zilla, I'm experiencing the exact same phenomenon. Premature ejection with a lot of undesirable weird float. Figured it was old cleats and would go way with new one. Nope, problem still persists. Were you able to find a solution? If so, do tell. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on some Shimano SPDs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    I always seem to wear the sole of the shoe out.Little bar indentations under the cleats.
    So what happens with new cleats are pedals that are really hard to get out of yet loose feeling when clipped in.I wish someone made a stainless steel plate to fit under the cleats.

There were two people on ebay with products like this, one called sole savers and the other beater blockers. Both were designed in response to eggbeater issues like this.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    There were two people on ebay with products like this, one called sole savers and the other beater blockers. Both were designed in response to eggbeater issues like this.
    that's what I'm looking for.I couldn't find the link,if you see it can you post it
    thanks
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    that's what I'm looking for.I couldn't find the link,if you see it can you post it
    thanks
    Haven't seen them on ebay for a while now. Why not just cut out a piece of Stainless steel just smaller than your sole recess, about 1mm thickness?

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    ... Were you able to find a solution? If so, do tell. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on some Shimano SPDs.
    Mine still have the problem. Looking at the retention bars I can see they are worn flat on the tops. I wonder how the undersides look. That is what would be holding the cleats in place.

I will try the same shoes and cleats on my Atacs tonight. If they're tight then the Control-Z pedals are worn out...that would suck big time since they're just over a year old. That would make it pretty obvious why CBros choose to use softer, faster wearing cleats.

Still, if this were the case, I'd be rather suprised I've haven't heard about it before now.