mtbr member
    Jul 2006

THOMSON Elite Stem OR Elite X4

Hi Guys! Just want to ask if this new X4 is really the new way to go. Im thinking of changing my Elite which is a 5 Deg X 90MM with the new X4. I just noticed that the X4 is 0 degrees X 90MM. Do you think i'll have a big problem with this or should i say a major adjustement? Plus the fact that with the chenge of stem i will also need to change my handlebars. Is the 0 degree stem better fits a SPOT with a 69 Degree head angle?
    Need your suggestions and comment on this matter guys

Thank you very much!!!

involuntary dismounter
    what's wrong with the elite? why are you thinking of making the switch? are you not comfortable on your current setup?
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ill bite. the only reason i see to go to the larger od interface is stiffness. weight sure isnt in yer corner. for big guys, guys who go big or big guys who go big id say why the hell not? myself, im cool with my collection of old has been elite stems and id be more than happy to help ya unload that 90mm of yers. if its black that is.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    CC -

How noticible is the difference in stiffness between the 28.6 and 31.8?

id have to say its pretty clear. hell, even i can notice it on a tight n twisty xc ride and im only a buck sitty five on a bloated day. now keep in mind this stiffness isnt always a good thing. controll wise its sweet. comfort wise.... eeeeeeeehhhhhh.... thats yer call.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    what's wrong with the elite? why are you thinking of making the switch? are you not comfortable on your current setup?
    Hi dHarriet! Well, nothings wrong with my Elite. I just had an offer from a friend on the said item. I want to know if its worth the change. if its an upgrade or not being an oversize on size. Ofcourse, an X4 stem will need its new partner. . . a 31.8 handlebar.

Bodhisattva
    2 reasons to get an X4 over Elite:

1. The 31.8 bar is noticeably stiffer
    2. The 25.4 elite sometimes shifts because of the clamp mechanism. That's why Thomson went to a more traditional design on the X4

Either gets the job done but I prefer 31.8
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    2 reasons to get an X4 over Elite:

1. The 31.8 bar is noticeably stiffer
    2. The 25.4 elite sometimes shifts because of the clamp mechanism. That's why Thomson went to a more traditional design on the X4

Either gets the job done but I prefer 31.8
    Thanks for giving me (2) reasons SQUEAKY WHEEL.
    Now my question is, since its a 0 degree compared to the elite which is 5 degree how can i compensate the lost rise because of the stem change? I don't want my body position to be in a dive position or should i say a very XC'ish form. It's a trailbike so i want a more relaxed riding position.

up the h/bar rise 1/2".
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    up the h/bar rise 1/2".
    Yup. If the steerer tube is long enough then just add some spacers.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Yup. If the steerer tube is long enough then just add some spacers.
    Thank you again! So, i think i'll get the MID-RISE Easton CNT handlebar instead of the
    LOW-RISE Bar.

RIDE SAFE!!!

Flyin Canine
    Bust out your geometry book and go to the section on right triangles. You have the one side and two angles. Use these to figure out the short side of the triangle. This will be the height in spacers you will need to add underneath the new stem to make your riding position nearly identical.

Or you can put both stems on a table and eye-ball it.

Either way you do it, I doubt it's going to be a full 1/2 in so before you go buying a new bar I would figure it out.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Thomson stems suck! They are weak and pathetic......though what could one expect from a 200 gram stem