Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ

Is there a road bike equivalent of Turner?

My buddy and I were talking about this today. I'm curious was to what the masses would say. The topic came up because the roadie is now my commuter a couple days a week and while we both have owned multiple Turners, we couldn't quite figure out who would be the Turner of the roadie world.

Any suggestions?

trail fairy
    Good question!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

parts leftover
    Independent Fabrication maybe?

Rolling
    I use my Burner on the road all the time.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'll throw out Griffen. Domestic production, limited numbers, standard sizing (don't do customs), broad product line, good customer service.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I'll toss out a vote for Calfee, though they do custom work.

eBiker

Sorry couldn't resist...

He should be so proud to have such a long lasting legacy...

P

trail fairy
    What DW road bikes

Sorry I'm still thinking, I don't know my US road bikes so well or certainely not the CS or behind the scenes side of things like how Turner reprezents!

Have you browsed the Roadbike review they may have some good oil there, I'm sure theres some good raodie advice here too, talk to me about italian bikes I have some passion for but to be honest CS don't even go there this far away its always a risk, ya just trust in the brand and do lot of research first, loved my Colnago Dreamplus! That bike rode like a dream, alloy but felt like steel, yet siff as, and always brought me home in the last 20km never felt slow on that bike, @ 8kgs it was light enough for me anything else felt too light, man it was stable at speed too..

I always heard nice things about Serrotta but then theyre pretty high end, I'm not sure about them as a company, I sorta been out of the road side for awhile now but aussie mag RIDE was always my fav, they had some great road bike tests and a good formatt very similar style to DIRT mag!

RIDE on cycling news!

Chur..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 06-17-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    It's not that I don't know brands, I have a old Felt which is a nice beater. Sachs might qualify, Pegoretti... that stuff. Maybe? I view them as more old school with the steel bikes though. Not progressive like Turner. Cervelo is too popular.

Wasn't there an orange roadie from a couple years back..maybe Sea Otter or something, that was labeled Turner, but I believe DT said it was a rebadged Ridley? That rings a bell for some reason.

Silence and Thunder...
    ...I don't know of too many suspended road bikes, unless you count that Softride beam - thing from some years ago...
    ...every day sends future to past...

Lay off the Levers
    Mr P,
    An Avy roadshock??? What do they call it, The Pecker?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

It's carbon dontcha know.

mtbr member

I would say...........

..........either Moots or Eriksen - ti road bikes.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SportDerek
    Not progressive like Turner.
    Turner is progressive?

Team Sanchez
    I ride road quite a bit, and from what I've read and seen, Euro Carbon Fiber is where it's at. Look, Pinarello, De Rosa, Colnago, ect. For what it's worth, DT rides a Ridley which is based in Belgium.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member

My comment about Moots or Eriksen

When I listed Moots and Eriksen, I was thinking about Turner and their excellent customer service, product quality, design, resale value, etc. Both are very responsive and will go out of their way to make a customer happy, including shipping parts or a fast turnaround for a rare defect in their product lineup.

I owned a Moots Vamoots ti road bike a few years ago (before I got off the road) and the ride was silky smooth and ultra stable at high speed. I did a couple of high mileage jaunts on it and it was great. Not ultra light by today's CF standards at 18 lbs., but the ride comfort was better than riding on some of these CF rails that I have tried.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

DD1
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I will second Moots or Eriksen
    D.O.N.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    Independent Fabrication maybe?
    IF's are great bikes. I love my Crown Jewel about as much as I do my Turners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I ride road quite a bit, and from what I've read and seen, Euro Carbon Fiber is where it's at. Look, Pinarello, De Rosa, Colnago, ect. For what it's worth, DT rides a Ridley which is based in Belgium.
    Agreed! I ride a look and love it. My next bike will be a Look, Pinarello or Colnago...Actually there is some cool stuff in the works at Felt.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...008/news/06-17

In the next few years I think the standard round tube carbon frames will be phased out for more of a mix between TT and regular frame. With the 6,8kg weight limit on bikes, you can add extra material to shape tubes and still build a bike at the weight limit. Also the super light weight frames are noodly and less appealing to the race market.
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

mtbr member
    I'm lovin my Co-Motion Espresso.

I also have an early model Lemond CX bike that I've converted to a SS that's a lot of fun.

I ride road way more than I get out on the dirt, mainly because it's so much easier to just jump on the road bike and head out of the front door, but I don't really don't lust over a nice road bike as I do over mt bikes.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

eBiker
    More like a Ventana equivalent with the custom frame build, but this Steelman Cycles builds some stellar bikes:

http://www.steelmancycles.com/

P

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The longest single track

or white line riding. I really like my Ridley. It is the best handling road bike I have ever ridden, seems intuitive in any situation. The Pegoretti I had was awesome as well, but being steel it was not as light, and being 10 pounds over weight I wanted my bike to compensate for my girth. One of my peeves is the stupid amount of stickers on a lot of road bikes, and Felt is the worst. I bought one for Christina a few years back and she hated it, it had 19 places it said Felt on it (yes she counted) Specy and many others are not much better. No she does not have it anymore.

DT

It's carbon dontcha know.
    It's all about carbon stealth, I stole my bike from Batman. The only logos on my road bike are at the top of the fork, the headtube, stem and crankarm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cross is where it's at....

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    It's all about carbon stealth, I stole my bike from Batman. The only logos on my road bike are at the top of the fork, the headtube, stem and crankarm.]
    I love that NoLogo look!

P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast