Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fried stuff with cheese

Is there any way to get 7" out of an 06 RFX??

Well is there? I guess I should rephrase. Can you get 7" out of it without compromising ride quality? I'm really just curious
    Egg

Lay off the Levers
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Excuse my question but why?
    Is the quantity of suspension travel more important than quality?
    I guess not.
    Leave as is it works perfect allready IMO.

Later
    RaD

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Yes that's what I was looking for. I just couldn't find it.
    Thanks Zilla.
    Now I just have to find out how this worked out long term. I'm beefing up the spot this winter and am doing more lift served with the RFX so I'm toying with the idea of moving the RFX up a bit in the travel department.
    Egg

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by RaD
    Excuse my question but why?
    Is the quantity of suspension travel more important than quality?
    I guess not.
    Leave as is it works perfect allready IMO.

Later
    RaD
    Did you miss this part???? "Can you get 7" out of it without compromising ride quality?"
    Egg

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Did you miss this part???? "Can you get 7" out of it without compromising ride quality?"
    I think the Highline is a 7" travel bike. Why don't you just sell your RFX and get a Highline? Plus saying "I am going to ride my Highline at Highlands" is cooler then saying I am going to ride my RFX. Just a thought.

Lay off the Levers
    Ts could answer the long term questions best. FWIW I had asked him about his feelings on it after some months and I got the impression he was not only pleased but prefered it.

Loco, it's not necessarily trying to push the RFX into highline territory (mind you the bikes have a fair bit of overlap, just like the rest of Turner's line). Sometimes ppl want a broader range out of the bike they have w/o going all the way over the fence. IMO the '06 RFX is a freeride bike, just not an extreme freeride bike like the Highline is. But as Airwreck has demonstrated even the Highline can be sensibly kittted to be an AM/trailbike.

Nothing wrong with having options.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    I am thinking not about the ride quality alone,suspension quality would be more important to me.
    Shure you can dial it in somehow with fancy shocks or setups but it won't be the same.

Later
    RaD

fried stuff with cheese
    Ts could answer the long term questions best. FWIW I had asked him about his feelings on it after some months and I got the impression he was not only pleased but prefered it.
    Yeah, I'll wait to see if he chimes in on this.

Loco, it's not necessarily trying to push the RFX into highline territory (mind you the bikes have a fair bit of overlap, just like the rest of Turner's line). Sometimes ppl want a broader range out of the bike they have w/o going all the way over the fence. IMO the '06 RFX is a freeride bike, just not an extreme freeride bike like the Highline is. But as Airwreck has demonstrated even the Highline can be sensibly kittted to be an AM/trailbike..
    I'm not at all trying to push the bike into Highline territory. No need to. The bike as is can take a ton more than I could ever dish out to it. Ekoostick is only bringing up the Highline to give me crap. I ride with him even though he rides a clown bike 29er. (it was hard but I've learned to look past this)

Nothing wrong with having options.
    This is the only reason I'm looking into this. In all likelihood I won't do this mod, I just want to know as much as I can before I make the call.
    Egg

Lay off the Levers
    Whoops I meant to direct that HL bit towards Eko. I actually plan on trying this mod myself someday. I'm curious, or bored or whatever. In any event it's a helluva lot cheaper to experiment on my RFX than to buy a HL outright.

The way I see it is sometimes you can get more with the overlap than the whole shebang, because you can always go back. I ride my RFX and 5 Spot on the same trails... but I do it far more aggressively on the RFX. This mod may encourage me to take it a notch higher. I know I immediately stepped it up when I got the RFX. It's not just the extra travel...it's the extra confidence.

mtbr member
    I rode TS's modded Pack earlier this year and was very impressed with the suspension quality. With the 5 Spot seat stays installed it doesn't wack out the geometry, and the DHX-C performs noticably better with the longer stroke. So I ordered up the 5 Spot seat stays and a 7.875 x 2.25 DHX-C, but just haven't gotten around to making the switch. Now that I've slapped the '07 66 SL which sports 180mm of adjustable plushness I'm raring to finish the mod. What's not to like about a 7 inches in the front and back? Now I've simply got to get my DHX-C back from El C.

mtbr member
    Yip, as much as 8", just like fo's RFX. Check here,

spy pics of fo's new saddle!

No, that's not phonetic
    I have no plans to go back. It does raise the bb. That would be the reason to stay at 6.2". The plushness at 7" is just on a different plane. Yummy.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I have no plans to go back. It does raise the bb. That would be the reason to stay at 6.2". The plushness at 7" is just on a different plane. Yummy.
    How much did it raise the BB? I know this goes against your preference but I wouldn't mind a little higher BB. It's an east coast rocky/rooty type o' thang.
    Egg

long standing member
    Just curious, when you've got the coil on there, what spring rate are you using? And what do you weigh? I'm just wondering about the feasibility for a clyde. Thanks.

No, that's not phonetic
    Same spring as stock. The bikes leverage ratio does NOT change. I'm 185# w/o gear and run a 600# spring.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    It seems you could also buy an 07 rfx seat stay and it should work too. Double check that but, I think it is the same length as the Spots. I am thinking of doing this mod also.

I'd like a little more big bike performance without having to buy another bike. It sounds like Crash will have it paired up nicley with the 180mm fork!

No, that's not phonetic
    The 07 rear end splits the difference between the old Spot and Pack's. It is longer than the old Spot but shorter than the old Pack. You won't get as much lowering benefit from the new 07 bits.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    The 07 rear end splits the difference between the old Spot and Pack's. It is longer than the old Spot but shorter than the old Pack. You won't get as much lowering benefit from the new 07 bits.
    Thanks for the correction. So the 06 Spots bits are the best for the mod?

lurker no more
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I rode TS's modded Pack earlier this year and was very impressed with the suspension quality. With the 5 Spot seat stays installed it doesn't wack out the geometry, and the DHX-C performs noticably better with the longer stroke. So I ordered up the 5 Spot seat stays and a 7.875 x 2.25 DHX-C, but just haven't gotten around to making the switch. Now that I've slapped the '07 66 SL which sports 180mm of adjustable plushness I'm raring to finish the mod. What's not to like about a 7 inches in the front and back? Now I've simply got to get my DHX-C back from El C.
    Excuse my ignorance, but after the 5 spot seat stay and 7.575 x 2.25 modification, the head angle increases to 68.8 degrees per Cheezy's original frankenturner Party Pack post, up from 68 degrees from the stock 2005 Six Pack. I thought slacker head angles are better for descending? Or does having a longer fork on there (your 2007 66 SL 1, for example) slacken the head angle and bring it back more in line with the stock Six Pack? Also, what does the mod do to the stand over height?

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Yip, as much as 8", just like fo's RFX. Check here,

spy pics of fo's new saddle!

Do you have to Bag Balm that thing before each ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oreo
    Or does having a longer fork on there (your 2007 66 SL 1, for example) slacken the head angle and bring it back more in line with the stock Six Pack?
    Exactly!

No, that's not phonetic
    All the numbers I posted are static. I run more sag in the back than up front so the static numbers are not that telling. Increase in bb height = increase in stand over.

lurker no more
    All the numbers I posted are static. I run more sag in the back than up front so the static numbers are not that telling. Increase in bb height = increase in stand over.
    Ah. I think I get it now. When running more sag in the back your front end contributes more to jacking up the BB height, which causes the TT to slope down at a more acute angle thus making an increase in standover. Right?

I'm in the same boat as Zilla, may try it someday if I ever get the itch to have that extra plushness and confidence w/o having to blow a large wad of cash on a Highline and sell the Pack. That increase in standover is also appealing to me as my standover is at a minimum.

However, the only thing that concerns me is my frame size. It's a small and I know FM mentioned in your original party pack thread that there may be some concerns with doing this mod to a small frame.

Crash- best of luck to your Cheezy-designed mod!

customized
    Sep 2003
    How much tire clearance do you have tscheezy? Another interesting question would be is how close are the frame members from touching throughout the travel? Do you suspect the smaller frames may have issue?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast