banned

Is there any reason to get a Flux 29" instead of the 26"

Here's the deal. I've ridden exclusively on a rigid 26" singlespeed for the last four years.

I went SS to make mtb chanllenging again.

Now, though I've never ridden dual suspension, I'm gonna take a tangent in that direction. Again, just to switch things up and have some fun riding.

So, I've never spent much time on a dual or a 29er, but could be compelled to go with both if it were advantageous.

Now, I would ask over on the 29er board, but those guys are evangelical about a mere wheel size.

FWIW I'm 6 foot even, like to climb, am pretty good on the downs, and ride in some pretty technical, rocky mountainous terrain (though not really East coast tight by any means).

Looking to buy in early Spring, so availability isn't an issue.
    Last edited by Juan Speeder; 05-15-2006 at 04:58 PM.

... I guess you won't be
    If you are really tall, a 29" wheel kinda makes sense - the bike is more in proportion to your body size......but, for normal sized folk, a 29" wheel makes the bike look kinda awkward....a friend recently got a Racer-X 29'er on a xl frame, and if you stood far back, it looked just like a normally sized large/medium framed version.

Only 29'er I've ridden is a GF sugar - but with suspension, it's hard to actually tell if the 29" wheel is actually making a difference or not....I didn't notice anything. My cyclocrosser has 29/700c wheels, but on a trail, it's just not comparable to a real mtb....

all I can say is, if you like it, then it must be what you want....nothing wrong with that.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    ...I spent a decent amount of time this last week putting a 29" scooter through it's paces. I came away from the experience about how I figured I would. There is alot of talk about a 29" wheel "rolling over obstacles" better...I can't really say that I noticed a significant difference in that dept. The one factor that stood out to me however, was traction. There was a marked increase in cornering & climbing traction (was riding a HT)...also noticed a few short/ steep hills I normally need to give a pedal or two to get up, I didn't with the 9'er...so momentum was more easily carried. I never did notice it being harder to climb the steep stuff with...in fact at one point it even seemed a bit easier on one particular hill I climb often. All in all, I came away from the experience pretty positive. I don't think the 29" bike would be superior to a 26"...(it was a little awkward in the technical stuff, felt a bit clumsy, but I am sure you would adapt your style)...but it was a fun bike to ride. I can see how ss'ers would appreciate them as it lended itself to standing mashing quite well...once it got going it could really move too. I am considering building up a niner HT to play on until the Turner is available. I'm not sure if this helps you, but I wouldn't want a 29" for my only bike....of course, few people on this board have that problem

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Mountain Bike Action have a 1-on-1 ride comparison between two almost identical 26" and 29" bikes. I don't have a scanner, but it should be a good source for some light on your question. In the comparison, the 29" is a little better at some things, but the 26" takes overall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Mountain Bike Action have a 1-on-1 ride comparison between two almost identical 26" and 29" bikes. I don't have a scanner, but it should be a good source for some light on your question. In the comparison, the 29" is a little better at some things, but the 26" takes overall.
    ...funny that you would cite MBA as a good source for anything

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    MBA is the reason I lusted for a 5spot. Can't thank them enough. And they're doing some pretty interesting comparisons lately. Not god's word, but definately worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Speeder
    FWIW I'm 6" even, like to climb, am pretty good on the downs, and ride in some rocky mountainous terrain (though not really East coast tight by any means).

Looking to buy in early Spring, so availability isn't an issue.
    I know what it's like once the wheels get spinning in your head, but you're probably better off waiting until the 29"er is in production, all the specs have been finalized, people have actually ridden it, etc. Until then everything is pure speculation based soley on people's pre-existing wheel size preference.

Mine happens to be 29", but I will say you can't go wrong with a 26" Turner (I own two). I'm your height and ride similar terrain, in which my Spot and Flux excel; I'm just hoping the 29" version is better yet.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Bodhisattva
    As a new owner of a 29er HT SS I generally agree with jncarpenter's comments although I definitely feel the advantage of the niner when rolling over obstacles. Makes my HT feel like it has some suspension. Our trails are littered with sharp embedded rocks that sometimes stop my Pack if I'm not carrying enough speed. The niner just rolls right over them. Comments about traction & cornering are spot-on.

Disadvantages? not quite as maneurable in tight spaces and takes a bit more ooomph to get the wheels up to speed, although once up to speed they roll like there is no tomorrow.

The only 29er dualie I've tried is the Ventana but it was built heavy and had a crappy Whyte Bros fork which gave it a dead feel. I'm anxious to try a 29er Flux with a Reba. Should be a great ride.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 05-15-2006 at 07:12 AM.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've just swapped from a 29er HT for a Turner FS. I ain't going back.
    If you ride smoothish non-technical trails, the 29er would make sense. With technical stuff the 5 Spot has it. My crap skills may have somethinbg to do with it however.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I keep feeling the pull of an SS but I don't know that I'd stick with it for a long period of time. I'd definitely go 29" for one but maybe a 1x9 for flexibility. Suspension-wise the Spot's staying.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    I keep feeling the pull of an SS... SNIP
    Haha. You're next. I knew it would get you eventually.

D.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I had a 12 mile test ride on a heavy ass SS Surly 29er HT. I felt that it did do somethings better than a 26er like rolling over log piles, rocks, etc. I did not like the huge turning radius and short bursts up steep stuff was a beeyotch compared to the 26er SS.

I decided to stick with 26er, but I can see why some would prefer the 9er.

D.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Haha. You're next. I knew it would get you eventually.

D.
    There are no orders or anything else in the works. Who knows...
    I probably just need something with bigger wheels to hook on stumps! My shoulder still hurts from that yardsale on Saturday - but it didn't keep me off the bike yesterday
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred