Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Sanchez

Team Aqua(St. George Branch) Presents: HIK

Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Boo Cocky Crew of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. We'll have the final dates by middle of April. Dirtbag and 6 or 7 guys from TS will be meeting up there for a 4 day period between the dates mentioned above. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    Last edited by El Chingon; 03-25-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Team Boo Cocky of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. We'll have the final dates by middle of April. Dirtbag and 6 or 7 guys from TS will be meeting up there for a 4 day period between the dates mentioned above. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    Hey Homers......

I see your dates. I'm planning to get there on the 26th (have a wedding to attend on the 25th), but you should all know there's a new music festival just starting that same weekend. Check it.
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003725081

They'll have shuttles from Whistler and I'll probably do some riding and music listening on a couple of those days.

Cheers,
    EB

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Team Boo Cocky of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. We'll have the final dates by middle of April. Dirtbag and 6 or 7 guys from TS will be meeting up there for a 4 day period between the dates mentioned above. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    El Chingon, I didn't realize you were from my (red)neck of the woods....almost. You didn't happen to hit Bootleg Canyon last weekend for the St. Patty's Day race/festival?

I don't have any plans of hitting Whistler this year, but went up there two summers ago. I'm not certain where you guys are staying, but 3 of us rented a huge townhouse right outside of the resort for 3 weeks. It ended up only costing us $1400 US (2006 dollars) for 3 weeks. The unit came with a kitchen, two baths, two bedrooms with bunk beds and a fairly large garage. It was on par or nicer than what you'd find in Park City or Deer Valley.

Team Sanchez
    Nice SLC. Some friends of mine have a time share up there, and I"m not sure of it's location. I didn't make it over to BL. I've been spending so much time on the road bike lately getting ready for the Cactus Hugger century, that it leaves little time for dirt riding. Let me know when you make it down this way, and I'll show you around.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Kanada is spelled with a "C", which would also help the acroynym somewhat

HIC

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Nice SLC. Some friends of mine have a time share up there, and I"m not sure of it's location. I didn't make it over to BL. I've been spending so much time on the road bike lately getting ready for the Cactus Hugger century, that it leaves little time for dirt riding. Let me know when you make it down this way, and I'll show you around.
    Nice, thanks. I think the next time I'll be down that way won't be until mid-August for the Flyin' Brian @ Brian Head Resort.

My brother lives in Cedar City (Home Depot exit) right up against the mountain off of that exit. I guess some guys who ride DH moved into the neighborhood and went to work on a full on DH run on the mountain side. It's fairly hidden, but they've done a great job with it. There's a fairly large road gap, a couple of ladders with 3'-5' drops and is super steep and loose.
    Right now it's mostly under snow, but what's nice is that you can shuttle it really easily if you have 4 Wheel Drive.

Anyway.....Good luck with the Cactus Hugger. Wishin' I wouldn't have sold my road bike last year as we are still under a bit of snow in Salt Lake.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I was going to try and join you guys. I had mentioned it to Kurt and Ashley last time I was there. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen for me this year.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Kanada is spelled with a "C", which would also help the acroynym somewhat

HIC
    I prefer the gangsta spelling. You know, like "Kalifornia"

Originally it was to be called S.N.O.B.(Sanchez North of the Border), but we have Merged with Team Aqua.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Homers in Kanada!
    I was not going to say anything but I just got to.
    Now I realize the Canada is not big when it comes to population compared to let us say the USA.
    However Whistler is located in the beautiful Province of British Columbia.
    Being from Canada I just found it odd and kinda funny that you did not address it to BC or least the Pacific Northwest......

Don't take it personal.

As for EB and FM.....I don't know how they do it but they get up to Whistler more than I do.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    As for EB and FM.....I don't know how they do it but they get up to Whistler more than I do.
    For the record EB made it up there about 4x as much I did last year. No hard feelings though. He always had a beer for me when I rolled up late at night.

Anyways I almost missed this thread due to the crazy acronym!

Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Team Boo Cocky of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    "team boo cocky"? wow....

I'm out of vacation time (well I do have two whistler trips on the books already) but that doesn't mean we can't hook up. There's always the chance I might come down with a last minute case of "e-bowla".

You guys MUST plan for at least a day if not two on the northshore. Personally, I prefer it to whistler.... well, that's really a blonde's vs. brunettes type of conversation. Regardless I'd be happy to give you guys a great tour there. No matter how you plan to get to whistler it's basically on the way.... but do plan on it.

You guys flying, driving or?

mtbr member
    I'm actually headed out that way after racing 24HOA in Canmore on the 27/28.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    "team boo cocky"? wow....
    best not to forget your sunscreen when you roll with the boo crew

mtbr member
    Good chance myself and some of the Knolly crew will be up there on some of those days. Keep this thread updated with info as I would love to meet up for a beer or 6.

"Its All Good"
    Hey Boo Cocky Whackers - Make sure you take up FM on his offer to show you around the Shore, it is indeed different and in many ways more bettera than Whistler.... He knows it like the back of his hand....

Just a thought...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    whistler....sounds like a blast.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Whafe, any chance you'll be visiting again this year?

006_007, Muttonchops is one of our good ridin' buddies, so Knolly's are rep'd in our crew. Last year we had some great rides with Noel and Lee Lau, didn't get to ride with Sharon much but she cooked us up some mean dinner.

excellent people, Vancouver is lucky to have them.

El C or somebody from the boo cocky fans, keep us posted on your travel arrangements. depending on how you are getting up we might be able to save you some hassle and suggest great rides en route.

Whistler is killer, but it's easy to get your goggles on and ignore so much other great and less crowded riding along the coast.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Whafe, any chance you'll be visiting again this year?

Whistler is killer, but it's easy to get your goggles on and ignore so much other great and less crowded riding along the coast.
    FM - I hope too, depends a little on that dam thing called work... Will ride somewhere...

I have to agree again with FM, I for sure spent too much time at Whistler and didnt spend enough time on the surrounding areas for riding... If I had 7 days again, would spend only 2 days at the bike park.... I want to do Comfortably Numb for sure.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Depending on how work's going nearer the time, I might come out any play. I live in Vancouver so I'm fortunate enough to be able to get to Whistler at the drop of a hat, but thesis writing might have somewhat taken over my life by then. Will keep an eye on this thread. I'm happy to show any passers-through some of the local trails too.

Just roll it......
    Hey Team Aqua-Sanchez.

Couple of thoughts for you guys on the Shore.

If you're driving north, you could easily get a few hours on the Shore on your way to or from Whistler. Cypress, Fromme or Seymour are so convenient from the highway that it's really a no-brainer......seriously.

If you're flying up to Vancouver (or Seattle) and will have your bikes boxed up, you may as well just head straight up to the big W. Once in Whistler, I would make the most of your time and just stay there since you've only got a handful of days.

The Sea to Sky highway is going to be a total clusterphock again this summer due to all the pre-Olympic construction, so I wouldn't waste any time sitting in traffic. On a couple of occasions last summer, it took me 2 hours to just get to Squamish (normally a 30 minute drive). There's enough good stuff in the Whistler Valley (and Pemberton) that you shouldn't need to head south of Whistler once you're there.

As for Whistler:
    If you wanted to get a good blend of the Valley trails and the park action, I often do a mix on a given day. For instance, Airwreck and I rode Gargamel last summer early in the day (around 10 was our depart) and then headed to the park around 3 in the afternoon after a quick bite to eat. The park's open 'til 8, so that's still a shiteload of riding considering we did a Whistler "XC" ride earlier in the day with a fair amount of climbing and descending. If you do this on a Saturday or Sunday, it's a great way to beat the big crowds early in the day.

Good weekday options are getting an early day in the park and then heading out of the there (hike-a-biking) to do some wicked descents on Ride Don't Slide or Khyber Pass. Depending on the speed/skill of the group, you can easily do these late afternoon after you've had your fill of the park. Khyber's about an hour+ hike and then a few hours to descend. Ride Don't Slide is about half the hike, but also a much shorter (45 minute if you're pinning it) descent.

Worth noting is that Sharon Bader (aka Brodiegrrl) was a park patroller last year. Not sure if she'll be up in Whistler this summer again, but she and Lee know the Pemby and Whistler valley stuff super well and would be good tour guides up there.

Cheers,
    EB

Team Sanchez
    Thanks for the info EB. None of us have been up there before, so the more info the better.

"Its All Good"
    The traffic issue is as real as can be. I arrived at the airport and thought sweet, 100 odd KM's to Whistler, well 4.5 hours later.................

Team Sanchez
    Damn! We are all flying into Vancouver and renting a SUV to take us to Whistler. Questions:

1. Is there an airport shuttle that will take us to Whistler and back if need be?
    2. Rent a bike, or bring my own?
    Last edited by El Chingon; 03-25-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Just roll it......
    Damn! We are all flying into Vancouver and renting a SUV to take us to Whistler. Questions:

1. Is there an airport shuttle that will take us to Whistler and back if need be?

#1. Yes, there are Whistler shuttles and greyhound buses direct from the airport or you can take a train all of which go straight to Whistler. Check out NSMB forums for more info. on that.

EDIT: Here's a few options.
    http://www.perimeterbus.com/
    Schedule: http://www.perimeterbus.com/ExpressDepartures.html

The huckwagon isn't nearly as affordable (not even close), but they'd probably be able to also include a day of biking on the way up to Whistler.
    http://www.escadventures.com/huckindex.htm

#2. You could rent, but that'd be ~$90 per day (not kidding). I'd box your bikes up and either bring it on the plane or ship it in advance directly to a shop (arrange it with them, of course). My favorite shops are Summit Sports, Fanatyk Co., Evolution, and Snow Covers.

Of course, there are also homers that live in North Van, so you might even be able to ship the bikes to them in advance depending on your arrival time, etc. and you could just pick them up on the way (if you rent a car and drive up).

Cheers,
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 03-25-2008 at 01:01 PM.

banned

Ok, who's going to drive, who's going to give out the handies from the front passenger seat?

Just Grin and HUCK it...

If you're going to rent a SUV, bring your own bikes and ride the shore too. Whistler is one thing, but the shore shouldn't be missed especially if you have a decent tour guide.

The SoCal crew (all 2 or 3 of us) will probably be headed up after you guys are gone, but one thing is certain - we ain't gonna drive 1,300 miles and NOT do some 'shore work' while we're up there.
    MCM# 2007.1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast