Team Sanchez

Team Aqua(St. George Branch) Presents: HIK

Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Boo Cocky Crew of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. We'll have the final dates by middle of April. Dirtbag and 6 or 7 guys from TS will be meeting up there for a 4 day period between the dates mentioned above. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    Last edited by El Chingon; 03-25-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Team Boo Cocky of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. We'll have the final dates by middle of April. Dirtbag and 6 or 7 guys from TS will be meeting up there for a 4 day period between the dates mentioned above. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    Hey Homers......

I see your dates. I'm planning to get there on the 26th (have a wedding to attend on the 25th), but you should all know there's a new music festival just starting that same weekend. Check it.
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003725081

They'll have shuttles from Whistler and I'll probably do some riding and music listening on a couple of those days.

Cheers,
    EB

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Team Boo Cocky of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. We'll have the final dates by middle of April. Dirtbag and 6 or 7 guys from TS will be meeting up there for a 4 day period between the dates mentioned above. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    El Chingon, I didn't realize you were from my (red)neck of the woods....almost. You didn't happen to hit Bootleg Canyon last weekend for the St. Patty's Day race/festival?

I don't have any plans of hitting Whistler this year, but went up there two summers ago. I'm not certain where you guys are staying, but 3 of us rented a huge townhouse right outside of the resort for 3 weeks. It ended up only costing us $1400 US (2006 dollars) for 3 weeks. The unit came with a kitchen, two baths, two bedrooms with bunk beds and a fairly large garage. It was on par or nicer than what you'd find in Park City or Deer Valley.

Team Sanchez
    Nice SLC. Some friends of mine have a time share up there, and I"m not sure of it's location. I didn't make it over to BL. I've been spending so much time on the road bike lately getting ready for the Cactus Hugger century, that it leaves little time for dirt riding. Let me know when you make it down this way, and I'll show you around.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Kanada is spelled with a "C", which would also help the acroynym somewhat

HIC

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Nice SLC. Some friends of mine have a time share up there, and I"m not sure of it's location. I didn't make it over to BL. I've been spending so much time on the road bike lately getting ready for the Cactus Hugger century, that it leaves little time for dirt riding. Let me know when you make it down this way, and I'll show you around.
    Nice, thanks. I think the next time I'll be down that way won't be until mid-August for the Flyin' Brian @ Brian Head Resort.

My brother lives in Cedar City (Home Depot exit) right up against the mountain off of that exit. I guess some guys who ride DH moved into the neighborhood and went to work on a full on DH run on the mountain side. It's fairly hidden, but they've done a great job with it. There's a fairly large road gap, a couple of ladders with 3'-5' drops and is super steep and loose.
    Right now it's mostly under snow, but what's nice is that you can shuttle it really easily if you have 4 Wheel Drive.

Anyway.....Good luck with the Cactus Hugger. Wishin' I wouldn't have sold my road bike last year as we are still under a bit of snow in Salt Lake.

Leash Law Enforcer
    I was going to try and join you guys. I had mentioned it to Kurt and Ashley last time I was there. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen for me this year.

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Kanada is spelled with a "C", which would also help the acroynym somewhat

HIC
    I prefer the gangsta spelling. You know, like "Kalifornia"

Originally it was to be called S.N.O.B.(Sanchez North of the Border), but we have Merged with Team Aqua.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Homers in Kanada!
    I was not going to say anything but I just got to.
    Now I realize the Canada is not big when it comes to population compared to let us say the USA.
    However Whistler is located in the beautiful Province of British Columbia.
    Being from Canada I just found it odd and kinda funny that you did not address it to BC or least the Pacific Northwest......

Don't take it personal.

As for EB and FM.....I don't know how they do it but they get up to Whistler more than I do.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    As for EB and FM.....I don't know how they do it but they get up to Whistler more than I do.
    For the record EB made it up there about 4x as much I did last year. No hard feelings though. He always had a beer for me when I rolled up late at night.

Anyways I almost missed this thread due to the crazy acronym!

Homers in Kanada! In conjunction with Team Boo Cocky of the Phoenix area, we will be going up to Whistler around July 26th-August 2nd. FM, EBX, AW? Anyone else gonna be up there around that time?
    "team boo cocky"? wow....

I'm out of vacation time (well I do have two whistler trips on the books already) but that doesn't mean we can't hook up. There's always the chance I might come down with a last minute case of "e-bowla".

You guys MUST plan for at least a day if not two on the northshore. Personally, I prefer it to whistler.... well, that's really a blonde's vs. brunettes type of conversation. Regardless I'd be happy to give you guys a great tour there. No matter how you plan to get to whistler it's basically on the way.... but do plan on it.

You guys flying, driving or?

mtbr member
    I'm actually headed out that way after racing 24HOA in Canmore on the 27/28.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    "team boo cocky"? wow....
    best not to forget your sunscreen when you roll with the boo crew

mtbr member
    Good chance myself and some of the Knolly crew will be up there on some of those days. Keep this thread updated with info as I would love to meet up for a beer or 6.

"Its All Good"
    Hey Boo Cocky Whackers - Make sure you take up FM on his offer to show you around the Shore, it is indeed different and in many ways more bettera than Whistler.... He knows it like the back of his hand....

Just a thought...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    whistler....sounds like a blast.

FM
    mtbr member
    Whafe, any chance you'll be visiting again this year?

006_007, Muttonchops is one of our good ridin' buddies, so Knolly's are rep'd in our crew. Last year we had some great rides with Noel and Lee Lau, didn't get to ride with Sharon much but she cooked us up some mean dinner.

excellent people, Vancouver is lucky to have them.

El C or somebody from the boo cocky fans, keep us posted on your travel arrangements. depending on how you are getting up we might be able to save you some hassle and suggest great rides en route.

Whistler is killer, but it's easy to get your goggles on and ignore so much other great and less crowded riding along the coast.

"Its All Good"
    Whafe, any chance you'll be visiting again this year?

Whistler is killer, but it's easy to get your goggles on and ignore so much other great and less crowded riding along the coast.
    FM - I hope too, depends a little on that dam thing called work... Will ride somewhere...

I have to agree again with FM, I for sure spent too much time at Whistler and didnt spend enough time on the surrounding areas for riding... If I had 7 days again, would spend only 2 days at the bike park.... I want to do Comfortably Numb for sure.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Depending on how work's going nearer the time, I might come out any play. I live in Vancouver so I'm fortunate enough to be able to get to Whistler at the drop of a hat, but thesis writing might have somewhat taken over my life by then. Will keep an eye on this thread. I'm happy to show any passers-through some of the local trails too.

Just roll it......
    Hey Team Aqua-Sanchez.

Couple of thoughts for you guys on the Shore.

If you're driving north, you could easily get a few hours on the Shore on your way to or from Whistler. Cypress, Fromme or Seymour are so convenient from the highway that it's really a no-brainer......seriously.

If you're flying up to Vancouver (or Seattle) and will have your bikes boxed up, you may as well just head straight up to the big W. Once in Whistler, I would make the most of your time and just stay there since you've only got a handful of days.

The Sea to Sky highway is going to be a total clusterphock again this summer due to all the pre-Olympic construction, so I wouldn't waste any time sitting in traffic. On a couple of occasions last summer, it took me 2 hours to just get to Squamish (normally a 30 minute drive). There's enough good stuff in the Whistler Valley (and Pemberton) that you shouldn't need to head south of Whistler once you're there.

As for Whistler:
    If you wanted to get a good blend of the Valley trails and the park action, I often do a mix on a given day. For instance, Airwreck and I rode Gargamel last summer early in the day (around 10 was our depart) and then headed to the park around 3 in the afternoon after a quick bite to eat. The park's open 'til 8, so that's still a shiteload of riding considering we did a Whistler "XC" ride earlier in the day with a fair amount of climbing and descending. If you do this on a Saturday or Sunday, it's a great way to beat the big crowds early in the day.

Good weekday options are getting an early day in the park and then heading out of the there (hike-a-biking) to do some wicked descents on Ride Don't Slide or Khyber Pass. Depending on the speed/skill of the group, you can easily do these late afternoon after you've had your fill of the park. Khyber's about an hour+ hike and then a few hours to descend. Ride Don't Slide is about half the hike, but also a much shorter (45 minute if you're pinning it) descent.

Worth noting is that Sharon Bader (aka Brodiegrrl) was a park patroller last year. Not sure if she'll be up in Whistler this summer again, but she and Lee know the Pemby and Whistler valley stuff super well and would be good tour guides up there.

Cheers,
    EB

Team Sanchez
    Thanks for the info EB. None of us have been up there before, so the more info the better.

"Its All Good"
    The traffic issue is as real as can be. I arrived at the airport and thought sweet, 100 odd KM's to Whistler, well 4.5 hours later.................

Team Sanchez
    Damn! We are all flying into Vancouver and renting a SUV to take us to Whistler. Questions:

1. Is there an airport shuttle that will take us to Whistler and back if need be?
    2. Rent a bike, or bring my own?
    Last edited by El Chingon; 03-25-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Just roll it......
    Damn! We are all flying into Vancouver and renting a SUV to take us to Whistler. Questions:

1. Is there an airport shuttle that will take us to Whistler and back if need be?

#1. Yes, there are Whistler shuttles and greyhound buses direct from the airport or you can take a train all of which go straight to Whistler. Check out NSMB forums for more info. on that.

EDIT: Here's a few options.
    http://www.perimeterbus.com/
    Schedule: http://www.perimeterbus.com/ExpressDepartures.html

The huckwagon isn't nearly as affordable (not even close), but they'd probably be able to also include a day of biking on the way up to Whistler.
    http://www.escadventures.com/huckindex.htm

#2. You could rent, but that'd be ~$90 per day (not kidding). I'd box your bikes up and either bring it on the plane or ship it in advance directly to a shop (arrange it with them, of course). My favorite shops are Summit Sports, Fanatyk Co., Evolution, and Snow Covers.

Of course, there are also homers that live in North Van, so you might even be able to ship the bikes to them in advance depending on your arrival time, etc. and you could just pick them up on the way (if you rent a car and drive up).

Cheers,
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 03-25-2008 at 02:01 PM.

banned

Ok, who's going to drive, who's going to give out the handies from the front passenger seat?

Just Grin and HUCK it...

If you're going to rent a SUV, bring your own bikes and ride the shore too. Whistler is one thing, but the shore shouldn't be missed especially if you have a decent tour guide.

The SoCal crew (all 2 or 3 of us) will probably be headed up after you guys are gone, but one thing is certain - we ain't gonna drive 1,300 miles and NOT do some 'shore work' while we're up there.
    MCM# 2007.1

FM
    mtbr member
    So there are kind of two different directions you could go here.

#1 would be strictly whistler bike park. Skip the shore, don't rent a car, catch a shuttle up to whistler and rent bikes once you're there. You'll save a lot of money by not shipping your bikes and renting a car, but then you'll have to rent bikes once you're there. The rentals will be mainly full-on FR/DH rigs so whistler XC becomes less likely.

#2 is ship your bikes and rent a car. This gives you more flexibility to explore the shore, squamish, whistler XC etc. Something you have to consider is the cost and customs involved in shipping your bike internationally. It's going to sit at the border for a few days at customs and you'll pay for it. Plus you are renting a car internationally.

If you asked before making reservations, I would probably have suggested flying into Seattle and driving up from here. It would add 2-3hrs of driving each way, but possibly save you time (read; bike stuck at customs) and money with your bike shipping, car rental and plane tickets. You could probably ship your bikes to some dude's house up in seattle, or have usps hold them. There's great riding spots every 20 miles from seatac airport all the way to to whistler and beyond. Added bonus, you could send you bike out later and get more riding in before and after the trip.

The shore and whistle are different experiences.
    Whistler- your options depend on the weather. If the weather sucks, the upper mountain might be closed. In that case you'll probably spend most of your time riding the same 3-4 jump-line trails. The other trails get torn up very quickly with hundreds of riders per day in wet conditions. On the other hand, whistler XC is killer even in the rain and who knows, you might have great weather. Keep in mind that it rained 20 days in july last summer at whistler. Not trying to be negative, just putting it out there.

Shore- great even in wet conditions, no crowds, big variety of trails.. some shuttle, some more all mountain stuff. Fewer jump lines, more stunts. The main reason I prefer the shore, is I seem to get rained out at whistler %50 of the time. When it rains there, it does not mess around.

Last thing- if you time your driving, the traffic and construction aren't neccesarily big issues. Do your driving after 8pm and you'll have much better luck.

Team Sanchez
    What about boxing up my bike and just bringing it on the plane? That is what i would prefer to do. I think some of my group will just rent, but I'd love to have my own steed up there if possible.

FM
    mtbr member
    What about boxing up my bike and just bringing it on the plane? That is what i would prefer to do.
    Sure. I figured if a bunch of you were flying together that might not work (not sure if they have any limits with that?)

Probably good if you can avoid international shipping.

FM
    mtbr member
    Hey another thought- if you can bring your bikes on the plane and fly into YVR (Vancouver), you're very close to the northshore. There is a holiday in off mt. seymour parkway that's perfect for riding the shore from. Get a room there for 1-2 days and get your shore fix out of the way at the beginning or end of the trip. whistler's much busier on weekends, so if you can do yoru shore stuff on a weekend you'll miss some of the long lift lines.

~~~~~~~~
    working on the summer travel plans, will try to work those dates in.

I say fly to Van, box the bike, rent a large car. We had two different rental cars last year, first was one of those big low chrysler wagons, fitting two bike boxes, huge bags of riding crap, groceries and two people was tough. Those wagons are not as big as they look. Second trip we got a Cherokee, little bit better, but still tight. Once there we drove very little, but still nice to have the vehicle, just in case. For two people round trip with bikes on the shuttle it is very close in price to the car rental. Also consider bringing a trunk mount rack, but still issues with building the bike up and storing the box. Local hookup with a truck to haul your bikes to and from is cool too. Local hookup period is actually way cool. Consider contacting Mad March Racing (or any of the many tour companies), tell them what you got going on, inquire about some guiding and transportation, might work out pretty good. I'm really looking forward to riding with Shaums while there, he opened my eyes to many things that will come in handy there. Getting a guide the first day on the mountain is highly recomended, hooking up with a crew of frothing wannabee's on your first day is a recipe for disaster.

Be aware of the 3am road closure. We flew into Seattle, arrived at 10 pm and thought we would blast up through Van with no traffic and get a nap in before hitting the trails. We hit the road closure at 3:05 and did our napping in the ferry parking lot.

Bring your own bike, and tools, and parts... it's nice to have what you are used to and know works properly. No problem pedaling the Highline on RRTI, TMKM, up Fromme, etc. DH tires are mandatory, leave those single ply nevegals at home, they won't last one run. Check and tighten your spokes daily if not more while you are there.

This is one of those things were you will be having so much fun you will forget all about all the costs involved, (while you're having fun at least). Don't waste valuable ride time by trying to save money. Comfort, rest and relaxation are extremely valuable in this environment. Stress, worries, drama, etc. should be saved for the trails!

Maximize the convience and comfort, ride your brains out, the stoke will still be there long after the CC bill is finally paid.

Park versus Shore? For jumping and all out ripping the bike park is very addictive. The shore gets forgotten when you've got your checklist of features to hit, people to hook up with, stuff like that. But like FM said, the weather up at whistler can be worse than down the road. Sucks too when traffic back to van is backed up and you got a flight to catch. Last day shore ride is a good call at the least, if your flight schedule works. Got to admit that the final drive to the airport is always with a heavy heart thinking about all the stuff you didn't get around to doing...

okay, back to work...

Just roll it......
    FM, I know your thoughts here and I'm not disagreeing at all. If those guys can tack a couple of days on to the front or back end of their trip and get a couple of shore days, they will not be disappointed.

However, if Team Aqua only has a week and already have set accommodations for Whistler, I'm of the mindset that they should limit their travel time between locations and just do Whistler right. By "right", of course, I mean 4-5 bike park days (mixed in with other goodies on some of those days), Cheap Thrills, Gargamel, Khyber Pass and/or Ride Don't slide, Kill Me Thrill Me, a Pemby day, maybe even Uncomfortable Bum, etc. I know on the BC interior trips that I've taken with CBX, we've tried to cram too much into a trip and ended up traveling too much and it cut into our ride time. Just the logistics of getting to Whistler will be a chore, so moving from there is just added travel time/effort.

So there are kind of two different directions you could go here.

#1 would be strictly whistler bike park. Skip the shore, don't rent a car, catch a shuttle up to whistler and rent bikes once you're there. You'll save a lot of money by not shipping your bikes and renting a car, but then you'll have to rent bikes once you're there. The rentals will be mainly full-on FR/DH rigs so whistler XC becomes less likely.
    I actually think this isn't an either/or proposition and in some ways renting gives more flexibility. For instance, if folks rent bikes from a shop like Summit or Evolution, you could rent a DH bike one day (Rocky Flatline, for instance) and a more XC friendly bike (Rocky Slayer) the next day depending on what you plan to ride. FYI, the DH bikes are more expensive. XC/AM bikes rent for closer to $60 a day.

#2 is ship your bikes and rent a car. This gives you more flexibility to explore the shore, squamish, whistler XC etc. Something you have to consider is the cost and customs involved in shipping your bike internationally. It's going to sit at the border for a few days at customs and you'll pay for it. Plus you are renting a car internationally.
    I think there's an option #3 as well which is to box their bikes and bring them on the plane and rent a car or just bring the box on the shuttle to whistler. The airline is gonna hit you for ~$80 (going to Canada, not coming home as other countries don't charge), but that would help them avoid the customs delay that you mentioned. CBX and I traveled to Switzerland with our bikes this way and it was no problem.

Shore- great even in wet conditions, no crowds, big variety of trails.. some shuttle, some more all mountain stuff. Fewer jump lines, more stunts. The main reason I prefer the shore, is I seem to get rained out at whistler %50 of the time. When it rains there, it does not mess around.
    I've probably ridden the shore more in wet and nasty conditions than dry. All of the cedar and rockwork are just as good wet as dry, imo. Late July in Whistler "should" have great weather, but nothing is guaranteed as last year was a slopfest in July. In the wet conditions, there's are some fun lower trails like Karate Monkey, Angry Pirate, Smoke and Mirrors, Schleyer and the usuals (Dirt Merchant, A-Line and Crank it Up). Upper Karate Monkey (aka Ninja Cougar) will be open by then too.

Last thing- if you time your driving, the traffic and construction aren't neccesarily big issues. Do your driving after 8pm and you'll have much better luck.
    Definitely, with the construction, I've been either driving up there early (leaving Seattle by 5 AM) or later (leaving Seattle after 7) to avoid the worst of the traffic. Worth noting is that they usually shutdown the sea to sky during latenight for blasting. On the other hand, you probably won't have a choice in the matter due to your arrival and departure time out of YVR.

Not trying to confuse anyone here, just offering up another perspective. As you can tell, FM and I have done this a time or two.

Cheers,
    EB

Yay! Bikes !
    HEY!
    Can you guys keep all this Whistler and Shore talk down PLEASE?!??
    Some of us are trying to focus on WORK here. Geeezz!

ok, who has room for me?

mtbr member
    Depending on how many of you there are, and what time you get in, I can pick people up from the airport if you like. I have a small S10 pick-up that I can squeeze plenty of bikes and gear in, and three extra bodies at a push. I could run you to the Holiday Inn mentioned above if required.

I disagree with the comment above that Whistler sucks in the wet though. All the trails are pretty rocked in due to the amount of use they see. You might see some standing water, but very little gloopy mud to speak of.

Team Sanchez
    Cool Big Ted. I'll let you know as the dates get closer. So my next question is:

Should I take a special trip to Noble Canyon(Home Office) to ride some real gnar gnar in preparation for this trip?

Just roll it......
    Should I take a special trip to Noble Canyon(Home Office) to ride some real gnar gnar in preparation for this trip?
    I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question......

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big-ted
    I disagree with the comment above that Whistler sucks in the wet though. All the trails are pretty rocked in due to the amount of use they see. You might see some standing water, but very little gloopy mud to speak of.
    Hey I didn't say whistler sucked in the wet!

I said, if the weather sucks the upper mountain might be closed, and then you'll likely ride the same 4-5 trails on the lower mountain. Still super fun- just less of it.

~~~~~~~~
    I agree with ebx. and FM. and big-ted. and Nick... awww, screw work.

FM
    mtbr member
    Daily Whistler stoke thanks to NSMB.

Quote Originally Posted by NSMB
    This week's winner whet's your appetite for Whistler. Photo~ Mason Mashon. Rider ~ Mark Matthews

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    awww, screw work.
    It's fair to say this thread is long overdue for some pics.

Jubilee at Crankworx last year walking up to check out the slopestyle.

Whafe, Zane, FM and me up top on Original Sin.

Jewels (Airwreck's better half) on O-Sin roller.

FM on Gargamel:

Shaheeb coming off of the octopus thingy in the boneyard.

Aww, what the hell. How 'bout a little vid of the Shaheeb, Leif and me riding in the park too? FM hosts this so do the "right click, save as" thingy.

Cheers,
    EB

mr. wonderful
    thanks for the beta and the stoke

one thing's for certain, i'm flying up with my bike. where, don't know yet. might fly to portland and drive up from hood river or, might fly to seattle, rent a car and drive up or, might fly to vancouver, rent a car and drive. i would be interested in coordinating plans and sharing on the rental, or hitching a ride, as things firm up.

Hisforever
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    we had two rental cars last year, first was one of those big low chrysler wagons, fitting two bike boxes, huge bags of riding crap, groceries and two people was tough. Those wagons are not as big as they look.

hooking up with a crew of frothing wannabee's on your first day is a recipe for disaster. sign me up, what can we expect?????

Bring your own bike, and tools, and parts... it's nice to have what you are used to and know works properly. No problem pedaling the Highline on RRTI, TMKM, up Fromme, etc. DH tires are mandatory, leave those single ply nevegals at home, they won't last one run. Check and tighten your spokes daily if not more while you are there.
    whhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssstler
    Jesus Saves