mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Tapered Lyrik on 2011 5 Spot. Too high?

Hi all,
    I'm looking to swap out my 150mm Rev RLT-Ti for a 160mm DPA Lyrik. I'm considering a tapered model which would add an additional 12mm of stack height to the 16mm of additional a/c length.

I feel my current setup is too front heavy, but I'm wondering if raising the front end 28mm is going to chopper it out too much and the new Lyrik's travel is no longer easily lowered with spacers.

Anyone running a Tapered Lyrik at 160mm on their current gen 5 Spot that can comment?

Thanks!

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Do you really use the dual position? Why not go solo air and have the ability to put a spacer in there?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I wouldn't use the dual position all that much, but I would likely use the lockout feature on long, smooth climbs.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Solo Air comes in RC2L flavor so you have lockout on it.
    Is your front hub convertible to 15mm? You may consider the new PIKE.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The new Pike is dead on arrival in my opinion. RS had an opportunity to slot the new Pike in between the 15mm only Revelation and the Lyrik and they chose to handicap it with another 15mm axle.

Even if they offered the Pike with a 20mm, I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for that bladder system.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I hear ya, not a huge fan of the 15mm standard, myself. The A2C of the Pike is lesser than Lyrik, I believe, hence the recommendation; and it is substantially lighter.

Nevertheless, I don't believe 160mm Lyrik would be too much for the Spot but if you go Solo Air, you have the option to scale back the travel.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I hear ya, not a huge fan of the 15mm standard, myself. The A2C of the Pike is lesser than Lyrik, I believe, hence the recommendation; and it is substantially lighter.

Nevertheless, I don't believe 160mm Lyrik would be too much for the Spot but if you go Solo Air, you have the option to scale back the travel.

_MK

I appreciate the recommendation. I do want the front end higher, I'm just not sure about 30mm higher.

I was under the impression that the 2012 and later Lyriks could not be dropped as easily as the earlier models. Perhaps I'm thinking of the DH models.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    The DH model is no different than the RC2L aside from the compression damper cartridge where the floodgate is replaced by a shim stack.
    The Dual Position and the predecessor, 2-Step are fixed in their height. The Solo Air just needs a spacer placed on the shaft below the air piston on the spring side and that's that. I've just "upgraded" my 2012 Solo Air from 160mm to 170mm by sliding off the lowers, removing the snap ring from the stanchion, sliding off the air piston assembly and popping off the 10mm spacer. If I was to add one instead I would have achieved 150mm travel.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

BBW
    mtbr member
    so why the tapered would add height in comparison to the 1 1/8? is it because the headset for those are diferent?
    BBW. MS, RD

My cup runneth over
    So hard to answer. I am running a non-tapered Lyrik coil u-turn on my ’10 Spot and still have spacers (maybe even 28mm worth) under the bars to keep the front end up more. I hardly ever wind it down in travel and like the ‘heavy’ and high front end. It’s so darn subjective according to how you like your set up. I wonder if just the basic weight difference between the Rev and Lyrik (~400 - 600g?) might be a deal breaker for you if you want a lighter front end than you currently have?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Because with the 1 1/8th you can run the bearing inside the head tube with the tapered it has to be external and so adds stack height.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

~~~~~~~~
    Seems to be plenty of people running tapered 160 with '11-'12 spots and no complaints. You are also going to get a little more sag so the dynamic difference won't be the same as the static and there are cockpit adjustments to try as well. Are you flush top headset now?

I'm going through the same thing now with the Burner and going over the specs and options for switching to 160 from 150 Rev.

In defense of the 15mm axle, it makes sense to me that there are better areas on the fork where stiffness could be improved, like tapered steerer, providing a better net benefit than the axle. As a 27.5 rider I have no choice but to accept that anyway as there is no straight steerer, 20mm axle, fits big tires options. The other plus of 15mm is the couple mm lower a2c it provides

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    So hard to answer. I am running a non-tapered Lyrik coil u-turn on my ’10 Spot and still have spacers (maybe even 28mm worth) under the bars to keep the front end up more. I hardly ever wind it down in travel and like the ‘heavy’ and high front end. It’s so darn subjective according to how you like your set up. I wonder if just the basic weight difference between the Rev and Lyrik (~400 - 600g?) might be a deal breaker for you if you want a lighter front end than you currently have?
    Thanks for the input rmac. While lighter parts are always more attractive, I don't mind the extra weight in a fork if it means increased stiffness...as a clyde, I can't play the weight weenie game.

To the 15mm comments, I'm rejecting that faux standard on principle only. Fox needed a way to get around RS patents. That's the only reason 15mm exists. Its sad that riders have to deal with the switch to an inferior system because of oem product managers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    On the Lyrik Solo Air travel adjust: they ARE NOT travel adjustable with spacers starting from 2013, and maybe even 2012. _MK, is it certain yours is 2012, not 2011?

In recent Lyrik Solo Air models you need to swap the whole base plate assembly in order to change travel rather than pop a spacer in/out.

New Pike is NOT internally travel adjustable with spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a 2011 5.spot with a tapered 2009 lyric dual position and a Cane Creek headset. It's still new to me, but I love the adjustability of the fork. After trying to flip the travel switch, and bashing my knee into the spokes, and rolling down a hill, and redefining the English language, I typically leave the travel adjust alone.
    As I said, I'm new to the Turner, and the Lyric. Coming from a Rockshox TK Silver, the bike does feel front heavy, and a bit clumsy while climbing. Reducing travel helps, but I haven't found a damping/travel setup I like for everything. To me, It feels like a bit too much fork for the 5.Spot's talents. I found the fork for $250 after a fresh QBP rebuild, so it made sense. Were it not for the price, I don't know if I would do it again.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Evteev View Post
    On the Lyrik Solo Air travel adjust: they ARE NOT travel adjustable with spacers starting from 2013, and maybe even 2012. _MK, is it certain yours is 2012, not 2011?

In recent Lyrik Solo Air models you need to swap the whole base plate assembly in order to change travel rather than pop a spacer in/out.

New Pike is NOT internally travel adjustable with spacers.
    I was under this impression as well.

I have a 2013 36 lowered to 150 on my 2012 spot and it's performance is somewhat underwhelming. I'm considering switching to a straight 1 1/8' steerer Lyrik.

To the OP: Only you can really say if it's too high, I think it may well put you over 14" and down near 66 degree HA. My total length with the lowered fork including headset is ~547mm and I'm at ~13.7" BB and just under 67 degrees HA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd say no to the tapered fork so you can easily do a flush lower cup(44headset) at 160, which it sounds like the best setup from the specs peeps posted on here. I have the '10 5-spot and a 1 1/8th steerer Lyrik at 160 w a works 1 degree headset and love it! If not for this It would be unridably steep for me cuz of the steeper geometry. I am going to the new 5 Spot and an external lower cup is like 12mm stack height so instead of adding ~20mm to the calculated geometry fork height with the 160 lyric, the flush cup will only make the front ~8mm or so higher than the geometry was designed for. This makes for a closer to 67deg HA and still under 14" bb. That to me is even better than an angleset that may creak and cause issues. The Works Cmpnts headset is flawless though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just a follow up for anyone searching this topic in the future. I ended up going with a Lyrik RC2L tapered fork on the 5 Spot and it did not chopper out the front end at all. Any additional A2C length of the lyrik (and stack height of the external lower cup) is eaten up by the increased sag required on the Lyrik compared to the Revelation.

Overall, the Revelation offers better suspension action (even with the Lyrik's floodgate removed), but it not nearly as stiff. Still deciding which one to keep. Thanks to all for their comments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The difference from a 150mm and 160 mm fork at 1/3 sag is about 3 or 4 mm. 525 A2C the bike was designed to, and a 160 Lyric is 545mm. That's 20mm right there, the math doesn't add up to be negligible. There are people on the 5Spot setup thread that show numbers for the flush and tapered cup at 160, ~12mm lower ex. cup stack height will eat up 20mm of the A2C difference. Them 8mm added for slightly slacker than 67.7.