mtbr member

Talas 36 Issue (X-post Shocks)

So on the ride yesterday my Talas 36 started acting very peculiar. Upon stopping at an intersection to wait for my friends I noticed that the fork felt much stiffer (more difficult to compress) than normal, and topped out with a clunk as if it had zero rebound. I slowed the rebound down a few clicks which didn't help at all. I reached a point with the rebound dial where if I slowed the rebound a single click the fork rose very slowly as if it had full rebound damping. This was not at the end of rebound adjustment towards the fully damped end, and the difference between full fast rebound with a clunk and ridiculously slow rebound was only one click of the dial.

At this point I'm sure I've blown something in the fork, so I dial down the Talas system to the 130mm mode to see if that still works. It does, and after setting the Talas knob back to 160mm I cycle the fork a few times and it seems to be functioning properly again. No top out with a clunk, and the effort required to compress the fork seemed as it was previous to the strange behavior.

After riding a little while the problem came back and the cycle continued.

Any thoughts on what may be wrong?

DGC
    mtbr member

air pocket

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    So on the ride yesterday my Talas 36 started acting very peculiar. Upon stopping at an intersection to wait for my friends I noticed that the fork felt much stiffer (more difficult to compress) than normal, and topped out with a clunk as if it had zero rebound. I slowed the rebound down a few clicks which didn't help at all. I reached a point with the rebound dial where if I slowed the rebound a single click the fork rose very slowly as if it had full rebound damping. This was not at the end of rebound adjustment towards the fully damped end, and the difference between full fast rebound with a clunk and ridiculously slow rebound was only one click of the dial.

At this point I'm sure I've blown something in the fork, so I dial down the Talas system to the 130mm mode to see if that still works. It does, and after setting the Talas knob back to 160mm I cycle the fork a few times and it seems to be functioning properly again. No top out with a clunk, and the effort required to compress the fork seemed as it was previous to the strange behavior.

After riding a little while the problem came back and the cycle continued.

Any thoughts on what may be wrong?
    Andy,
    Most of the time what you describe I have seen in a number of 36 air forks, usually being a loss of oil in the damper and now an air pocket exists where oil used to be, a problem I have seen in the bladder area of the damper. IF......and I say if this is it, a full tear down and damper bleed is in order. It could be a number of things including a problem in the rebound assembly of the damper. Without going into details and continued guessing, you should.......either get it into a reputable shop that does Fox rebuilds and really knows this fork or get it sent into Fox.
    OUCH...!!!!!!