Thread: Syntace Stems

gitoutdaway

Syntace Stems

Hello All, Just completing a build, would any of you trust this stem?

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=390

Looks nice a light and clean but would it seem strong? Anyone have experience with Syntace stems on Mtb's?

I ordered a Thomson but this caught ny eye so I'm just curious...

Thanks

Silence and Thunder...
    ""...and compatible with handlebars up to 610mm/24 wide. ""

...unless you're building a Nitrous.....
    ...every day sends future to past...

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by gitoutdaway
    Hello All, Just completing a build, would any of you trust this stem?

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=390

Looks nice a light and clean but would it seem strong? Anyone have experience with Syntace stems on Mtb's?

I ordered a Thomson but this caught ny eye so I'm just curious...

Thanks
    I have the superforce on my RFX and so far I have no complaints. It is a DH stem that a friend / mechanic recommended because he worries about me breaking stuff and he is wow'd over the Syntace gear. They aren't cheap but they are good and light.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    I have the superforce on my RFX and so far I have no complaints. It is a DH stem that a friend / mechanic recommended because he worries about me breaking stuff and he is wow'd over the Syntace gear. They aren't cheap but they are good and light.
    Sheesh really, sorry bro, no offence just Im not a fan of split face plates, stress on the bar, stiffness support, DH

They have definitley come along way since there cannondale flip flop stem days!
    I'm dubious though, I say this dude I don't want to see any thing happen to ya, and I seen ya ride piccs you go for it, hope I'm looking at the right one!

Gitoutadaway what bike you putting this thing on, ohter than a DH/HL Im Thomson all the way especailly when ya ordered it already, though Sunline do some nice stuff too and I'm also a Deity fan for the hardcore.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    A great way to save significant weight on a light Flux build. I've been riding one (on a Flux, now a Sultan) for four seasons. I'll probably replace it just to be safe before too much longer, but I've definitely pushed it pretty hard and have no complaints.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Sheesh really, sorry bro, no offence just Im not a fan of split face plates, stress on the bar, stiffness support, DH

They have definitley come along way since there cannondale flip flop stem days!
    I'm dubious though, I say this dude I don't want to see any thing happen to ya, and I seen ya ride piccs you go for it, hope I'm looking at the right one!
    Don't be confused be happy!

I hear ya TA. I've always been a contrarian of sorts. I was a bit skeptical also of the split stem but it was recommended and I wanted to try it because no one around here has. I really like Deity, Straitline and Sunline stuff but I talked to the guys at Syntace about the force and their testing, strength, flex, blah, blah, blah....it has a 10 year warranty...

I'm trusting in the empirical testing and the warranty that backs that up.

But TA, in all seriousness, and aw golly gee fuzzy feelings, thanks for your concern I really appreciate that my man! When you are better we've got to jump the pond and live life, ride together.

the refurbished one
    it is very simple.
    those who know ride Syntace parts.
    the others overpriced chichi stuff.

Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

gitoutdaway
    Here it is so far, Flux Large, XTR, WCS bars, DT 4.2 + 240's (might have rather done w KK hubs), KK headset, Formula Oro, ATAC Ti pedals,switching between the Easton EC70 post w Selle Italia Trans Am And the Thomson w WTB Rocket V. Temporary Canondale 110 stem...
    26 lbs so far, maybe lighter wheels next year but these are fine.

So concensus seems against the Syntace, though with a few strong proponents... hmmm.

I'm also getting some Michelin Xtrems next, these worn down soo fast but I liked them when they were new.

thanks for the advice so far, please keep it coming. any other suggestions on this build?
    Attached Images Attached Images

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Don't be confused be happy!

But TA, in all seriousness, and aw golly gee fuzzy feelings, thanks for your concern I really appreciate that my man! When you are better we've got to jump the pond and live life, ride together.
    Good news to hear MJ, Im sure its all good, they seem to make some nice stuff, just want to see my buddies on safe stuff and be safe!

As for the the rest dude friends look after freinds, we will definitley jump the ponds and ride together look forward to it, it keeps me going

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

gravity curmudgeon
    Although different than the model referenced in the first post, I have a 70mm Syntace Superforce 31.8 stem sitting on my bench, brand new still in plastic. I'll toss it on one of these days.

Can't say anything about the durability or function. I picked up the stem (to have a shorter option) when I bought a Syntace Vector handlebar. Love the handlebar so far.

trail fairy
    Nice flux dude, that color is really popping this year as they all are, not sure what DTs popping into his paint but it sure is the bizz!

Im not trying to knock your specc or Syntace and not having one Im no expert on them, last I had was with my Cracknfail and I never run standard stems out comes my Kore Elite, which I still have

My concern is about support and fatigue of a bar over time with such little support from the face clamps, it may be strong it may be light, that dosen't mean it supports the bar and makes a strong interface there or dispersers loads, esspecially with carbon and another brands where tolerances may or may not be so accutate, something to be careful of, ya know what appens when ya over tighten a seat clamp on a carbon post.

There's little load dispersion and alot of tortional stress in that area. I know carbon can be 10 times stronger than alloy yadyada Ive used and broken carbon for many years and a big fan for the right applications and know how stress and what usually causes breakages, its not a strength issue but load dispersion and impact imo.

Probably talking through a hole in my head but I wouldn't run one thats me, one broken neck is enough and I'd rather do that myself, cost vs weight or saftey is a non issue for me I'd rather go without than save a few bucks on my saftey, I don't care about injuries Im no wuss I just hate the recoveries

Anyway like I said its only my opinion not knocking your choices, also different choices for different elements!

Enjoy that puppy, good to see some comeback Flux's appearing..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Quote Originally Posted by hball
    it is very simple.
    those who know ride Syntace parts.
    the others overpriced chichi stuff.

Maybe right but everything coming from Syntace is so dam ugly!
    I prefer quality made in the US.

Members who have read this thread: 0