Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrashTheDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,377

    New question here. Switching between Wheelsets

    Is it too optimistic of me to think that I can swap between two wheelset on my 6 Pack without having to make adjustments to the rear derailleur and/or the disc brakes? One wheelset are DT 6.1's laced to a HD King rear hub w/funbolts and a King 20mm front, and the other wheelset are DT 5.1's laced to an ISO King rear with a King 20mm front. The rotors are the same on both wheelsets, but the rotors on one are worn while the others are brand new. Seeing as how I have yet to get the front wheelset to swap without adjustment to the front caliper, I'm thinking it's impossible with the rear wheels with different types of King hubs and the added complexity of the drive train. Any thoughts? If it can be done how should I go about it?

  2. #2
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,365
    I'm pretty sure a second 6-Pack would do the trick.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    579
    The drivetrain shouldn't be an issue because you are using a 9 speed cassettes on both right? Unless the largest cogs on your cassettes are drastically different you won't have any issues there.

    The rear rotors might be an issue. In theory, the rear rotors should line up perfectly because both King hubs use the same hub shells and you are using the same rotors. If the new rear rotors are slightly inboard, you can use some .2mm spacers between the rotor and hubs for the initial adjustment to center the new rotors.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,287
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Is it too optimistic of me to think that I can swap between two wheelset on my 6 Pack without having to make adjustments to the rear derailleur and/or the disc brakes? One wheelset are DT 6.1's laced to a HD King rear hub w/funbolts and a King 20mm front, and the other wheelset are DT 5.1's laced to an ISO King rear with a King 20mm front. The rotors are the same on both wheelsets, but the rotors on one are worn while the others are brand new. Seeing as how I have yet to get the front wheelset to swap without adjustment to the front caliper, I'm thinking it's impossible with the rear wheels with different types of King hubs and the added complexity of the drive train. Any thoughts? If it can be done how should I go about it?
    See El C's bike (6 Pak).

    See El C's brakes (Avid mechs).

    Problem solved.

    Hey, wait. I've got that same bike and same brakes, and switch wheels often in very little time, even if the brakes need a little tweak!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  5. #5
    Lay off the Levers
    Reputation: Bikezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,126
    I like the 2nd bike idea much better... perhaps a Highline?
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 05-15-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

  6. #6
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    Hey Crash

    I have two rear wheels, both have king hubs, one is universal with ISO adpater and the other is ISO (discotech). I swap between them all the time, the only thing I tweak is that I push the pistons into my caliper completely with a screw driver, then after installing the wheel I grab the lever a few times to re-center the pistons on the rotor.

    maybe you need to compare the caliper mounting with both wheels installed, and split any difference between them with the spacing?

    PS.... still got my jersey sitting around?

  7. #7
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    I switch between 3 different wheelsets on my Pack on a regular basis. I find the rotor position shifts a couple mm's between hubs, but the cassettes tend to be pretty close. I've got Avid Mechanicals which take about 10 seconds to get aligned perfectly. As for the derailleur, the most I ever have to adjust it is a couple clicks at the shifter (X.9).

    I was going to switch the brakes out to hydros for better modulation, but the wheel switching thing has made me rethink that.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,990
    It can be done.

    I did it with a set of XM819 / King Disc and X317 (717) Onyx Disc.

    The trick is to determine which wheel has the innermost rotor. It's easy to tell just by swapping wheels and seeing which rotor is closest to the hub (relative to the caliper).

    Then you just shim the rotor on the rotor of the wheel that had the rotor that was closest to the hub.

    It took me about an hour and a bunch of shims (measured wrong the first time), but now I can switch wheels and the brakes line up perfectly.

    The rear cassettes seem to line up well as long as one cassette isn't shimmed ....(la King Hub and XT cassette play issue). even if the cassette setup isn't perfect, it only takes a quick quarter or half turn at the handlebars.

  9. #9
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    It can be done.

    I did it with a set of XM819 / King Disc and X317 (717) Onyx Disc.

    The trick is to determine which wheel has the innermost rotor. It's easy to tell just by swapping wheels and seeing which rotor is closest to the hub (relative to the caliper).

    Then you just shim the rotor on the rotor of the wheel that had the rotor that was closest to the hub.

    It took me about an hour and a bunch of shims (measured wrong the first time), but now I can switch wheels and the brakes line up perfectly.

    The rear cassettes seem to line up well as long as one cassette isn't shimmed ....(la King Hub and XT cassette play issue). even if the cassette setup isn't perfect, it only takes a quick quarter or half turn at the handlebars.
    That's a great idea. I'll definatelly keep it in mind for the future.

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  10. #10
    Baked Alaskan
    Reputation: AK Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,813

    Lol!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I'm pretty sure a second 6-Pack would do the trick.

    Yet another bike seems to be your solution to everything huh??? Too funny...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

  11. #11
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    I switch between Mavic Crossmax XLs and Deemax. No cog or rotor realignemnt necessary. I think if he hubs are from the same manufacturer, chances are you won't need realignment.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  12. #12
    Mexican e-rider
    Reputation: elmadaleno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    977
    I have been switching from a XT hub wheelset a Hope hub one and an FSA XC 300 one. So far the effort has been minimal, I've just had to center the calipers, which is really easy on Avid Juicy's, and do a minimal adjustments on the deraileur. It takes 5 minutes max.

    OTOH, you might want to pair the rotors to the same pads as they tend to wear together.

    Cheers,

    Mada
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

  13. #13
    Flyin Canine
    Reputation: shanedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Easy route, get the avid mechs. Expensive route, get a highline. Most work route, shim rotors, calipers, etc and still maybe have some rubbing.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Easy route, get the avid mechs. .
    Also the most expensive route (short of getting a new bike ). Then you also have to use mech brakes. I prefer hydro, thank you and after switching brakes.... you still have to adjust them.

    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    Most work route, shim rotors, calipers, etc and still maybe have some rubbing.
    You don't need to shim the calipers. You only need to shim the rotors... and only on one set of wheels. Once it's done.... it's done.

    To each their own.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •