rr
    I don't do PC

Swinger 3 way/Burner question??

Sorry if this has been covered, I know there are a lot of questions about this shock on the Burner but I didn't see anything.

Did a ride on the Burner yesterday and it felt like the rear suspension was riding low in it's travel, it appeared the shock was more compressed than normal during pedaling and the rear felt soft. When I got home I checked the pressures and they checked out OK but the shock shaft and the i2i measured 3/16" less than normal, pretty sure the shock shaft should measure at 1.5" and the i2i at 6.5", both were 3/16" less than that. I've got about 3 months of riding on this frame.

I tried letting the air out of both chambers and airing it back up, and I also tried to extend the shock to see if it was stuck or something but it would not extend any further. So now my Burner gets 3.1 instead of 3.6" of travel, has this happened to anyone out there, is it time to send the shock in? Maybe I should pop for an RP3 now so I'm not down for a week or two.
    Thanks for any input.
    -Rick
    Last edited by rr; 10-26-2005 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Time to send it in. Mine didn't do this, but I've read where others have - I got a Float R to stick on there before it happened, and now the Swinger is my backup. I like the Float better than the Swinger (but it's not a night and day difference), so it all works out. Looks like you're in the same boat. R.....P........3................

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    Time to send it in. Mine didn't do this, but I've read where others have - I got a Float R to stick on there before it happened, and now the Swinger is my backup. I like the Float better than the Swinger (but it's not a night and day difference), so it all works out. Looks like you're in the same boat. R.....P........3................
    Thanks DLine, yeah I thought I had read something similiar also but couldn't find it. Manitou says send it in also so I've already got an email into Larry for an RP3 and the Swinger is on permanent backup status, an early "merry f**king xmas" to me

mtbr member
    What about a set of 4" rockers just to top it all off?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    What about a set of 4" rockers just to top it all off?
    Those sound cool, but actually I'm happy with the ride and I'm sure the Fox will feel plusher so I will stick with these rockers for now. Any word on the Pushed RP3?, Larry has one at a killer price but from what I've read here the RP3 is already pretty good.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Those sound cool, but actually I'm happy with the ride
    You need to listen to Condi. XRs are a matter of national security. Get 'em now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    You need to listen to Condi. XRs are a matter of national security. Get 'em now.
    LOL! Condi's a wise woman! Listen to her...
    I think I'll go measure my shock. Anyone ever run a Cloud 9 on a Burner with XRs, I've got one lying around...
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Go for it!

I added XR rockers and an RP3 - HUGE IMPROVEMENT!! over the 3-way and standard rockers.
    what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quit tempting me guys, the wifey is already pissed about the shock

cutthroat- I showed the wife the picture to sell the XR rockers and she said that looks more like 8" from what I've always said, hmmm, not sure what that means.
    Last edited by rr; 10-27-2005 at 08:24 AM.

Bite Me.
    cutthroat- I showed the wife the picture to sell the XR rockers and she said that looks more like 8" from what I've always said, hmmm, not sure what that means.
    I wish I could say I sympathize, but I can't
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

My cup runneth over
    I have been running the stock RP3 on the 3.6 Burner for just about a year and nice though it is am planning to get it Pushed as soon as it's time to service it. I think the stock is a little harsh. I haven't run it in + (pp) mode for more than six months. IMO go with the Pushed RP3!

Bald and crap since 1973.
    Those sound cool, but actually I'm happy with the ride and I'm sure the Fox will feel plusher so I will stick with these rockers for now. Any word on the Pushed RP3?, Larry has one at a killer price but from what I've read here the RP3 is already pretty good.
    Who's this Larry, and what's this killer price?!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I have been running the stock RP3 on the 3.6 Burner for just about a year and nice though it is am planning to get it Pushed as soon as it's time to service it. I think the stock is a little harsh. I haven't run it in + (pp) mode for more than six months. IMO go with the Pushed RP3!
    I asked Larry about the advantages over the standard version but have not gotten a reply, he did say it was tuned for a 180lb rider and I'm at 200 even so not sure if it will work. If he says the weight diff. is OK I will probably give it a try and I imagine Push would take care of me if the valving doesn't feel right.

cutthroat-what are you talking about? I'm confused

Bite Me.
    The PUSH option on the RP3 is one I considered but opted not to do. Since I'm 180 in riding gear, and do the "average Joe" type of riding - mainly XC singletrack interspersed with the occasional minor drop of 2', mild ledge jumping, bunny hopping etc., I basically fit the profile for the stock valving on the RP3. Darren was interviewed in the recent edition of Mountain Biking and said that the stock RP3s are pretty much tuned for exactly my riding style right out of the box. It didn't seem like a PUSh job would really change what I already have all that much. So instead I bought a hardwire Ipod interface for the truck - now I have tunes when I drive and when I ride!

Come on Rroeder - think about it........It's not how much travel you have, it's how skillfully you use it.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat

Come on Rroeder - think about it........It's not how much travel you have, it's how skillfully you use it.
    Actually I'm hung like a horse so no real skill is needed, kinda like the diff. between riding a Burner and a 6 Pack thru a gnarly rock garden-me being the 6 Pack

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by gedmunds
    Who's this Larry, and what's this killer price?!
    Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, he's great, will order you whatever you want and give you a great price, and get it to you quick. His work is all over this board. Not sure about the price but if he says it's killer, it's killer! I think he had one laying around from another customer-hence the deal.

larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Doh - posted in wrong place!
    Move along, nothing to see here...
    Last edited by RedRocker; 10-27-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Ooops!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred