Thread: Sweet Spot

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Sweet Spot

So I last rode the Kingdom Trails in VT about 4 years ago. That was on my Burner and it was a blast. Got pretty hammered by the roots though, and in the years since, friends who rode there kept telling me that all the wear and tear arising from the increasingly popularity of this trail network was causing things to get even more lumpy, interfering with the flow. Well, I finally got to return this weekend, but this time on my 5.5 Spot. Rather than finding the trails in worse shape, I was struck by how smooth they still were. Then I realized what was going on - I was riding them on the Spot for the first time. Lordy what a great bike. Sorry no photos, but all readers of this forum know what the bike looks like, and let's face it, pics of forested New England singletrack just aren't all that sexy (tho the trails are fun to ride).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have been hearing about Kingdom trails for a few years. Is it worth driving 10hrs to ride there? Will be taking my 5Spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by highroller
    I have been hearing about Kingdom trails for a few years. Is it worth driving 10hrs to ride there? Will be taking my 5Spot.
    Depends on where you're coming from. If it's from the north or west, from what I hear about the quality of riding, it definitely would be worth the drive. From points south and southeast, maybe not so much, as I hear there is really good riding to be had down that way, as well. What distinguishes the Kingdom Trails is their length (I guess it's about 100 miles of trails) and flow. Some of the best singletrack descents in the east - relatively long, relatively smooth, sweet berms. If you're going to drive that far, keep an eye on the long range forecast. It rains a lot in these parts, and the Kingdom Trails would not be so amusing if it's pouring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Coming from north and east... Nova Scotia. Not many long singletrack networks near here. Sounds like it'd be worth the drive. Would make for a nice bike holiday with a few stops along the way to ride in New Hampshire and Maine as well. Thanks for the info.

fried stuff with cheese
    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. Did I say Yes?
    It's worth it.
    Not only KT but there are so many really good places to ride between there and where you are.
    KT is magical. For me, on paper it sounds boring. Climbing, smooth buff singletrack. I hate climbing and I'm mostly only happy in the tech but put me on any of those trails and all is well with the world again.
    It's one of those places you go once and have to go back over and over and you turn into a preaching fool to get others to go and see for them selves.
    The whole experience is just epic, from the diversity of the trail network, to the cool little town of East Burke.
    I love that I can go up there with my wife (from her beginner days to her now being a strong intermediate rider) and have a totally chill 15 mile ride or go up with my buds and we can ride those same trails at speed and the pucker factor goes up by 10. Do you like roller coasters? KT has the best ones in the world made out of dirt.
    When you are done with the buff flow head over the mtn for some flow with tech mixed in. Their DH and FR trails are not for the faint of heart. Dead Moose Abuse has the perfect mix of fun and pucker all rolled into one. The a day on the Mtn trails give you a solid 12-15 miles of mostly DH fun. (not a big deal for you guys out west but for NE it's huge)
    Ok, I'm sorry I've gone on so long. I do have plenty of pictures I could post up if there is interest. Oh and I don't find them boring at all.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I got excited. Glad you found your spot love at KT.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, you've convinced me to go. Been looking at their website recently. I see it's not far from Bromont, Quebec, which I plan to visit a few times this season anyway. Sounds like I'll want the 7-8" heavy bike for some trails at KT as well. Used to ride a bit around North Conway and Sunday River, but haven't been there in 12yrs. I'd like to check out some trails there again. I can already imagine how much more fun I'm going to have riding the 5Spot there, rather than the old twitchy xc race hardtail.

Maybe a few photos would be nice to see.... it's not OT if there's a Turner in the shots, is it?