over researcher

suspension upgrades on my TNT Flux

I have the stock RP3 and an '06 Reba Team Dual Air on my '06 Flux and I was thinking about pepping the frame up a little.

What are the internal differences between my fork and the new Reba forks? I'm really hoping there isn't much difference and that a Push job on my '06 would be worlds above even the new stuff.

I was thinking of having my RP3 Pushed, but the Pushed RockShox Monarchs caught my eye. I think between the RT, RT-AM, and RT3, the RT would be best. Just dial it in and forget it. With the RT3 you're really not getting enough platform dampening, are you? Do you really need on the fly adjusability? Or is the RT-AM the way to go with 10 position compression adjustment? Or do I save money and go with a pushed RP3?

Thanks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by royta; 07-20-2011 at 04:48 AM.

mtbr member

Push it!

For the money...send them off to push. They will improve your suspension to the current technology. I say rebuild before replace anyday.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    push it !
    trlridr

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    push it !
    trlridr

over researcher
    I'm going to make a decision on suspension mods on my Flux this week. Is Pushing my RP3 and '06 Reba Team still the better way to spend my money? For the record, I'm about 155 to 160 lbs when nekid and probably 15 lbs heavier when fully geared and watered up.

Change - It's a Team, not a Race. No huge difference I guess.
    Last edited by royta; 03-18-2012 at 07:22 PM.

%$#$*!
    I've got a pushed monarch rt-am on my Horst link Flux and like it. I like the ten clicks of compression and it has quite a range. It just depends on if you want compression adjustments or a propedal function. If I was in your situation I'd push the Reba for sure. Your call on whether the extra money is worth it for the Push monarchs.

over researcher
    I decided to Push them both. March 30th is my appointment date. I am finding the most difficult part is trying to figure out what kind of rider I am, which determines the tune.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    I decided to Push them both. March 30th is my appointment date. I am finding the most difficult part is trying to figure out what kind of rider I am, which determines the tune.

Give them a call and talk to them. Push has always been great with discussing tunes. The most important thing is to be honest about how you ride and what you want out of the tune. Otherwise, you'll get something you may not be happy with.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Give them a call and talk to them. Push has always been great with discussing tunes. The most important thing is to be honest about how you ride and what you want out of the tune. Otherwise, you'll get something you may not be happy with.
    I spoke with Nick yesterday and I also sent him an email last night complete with pictures of the trails I ride. He probably thinks I'm nuts by now. I don't want plush but I also don't want super tight either.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Make sure you install a RWC needle bearing on the top shock mount. That will make a ton of difference. I had PUSH put one on my RP3 for my 2008 Flux when I had it and my Fox Fork serviced. I bought the RWC direct and sent it in with my shock. Push installed it for no charge. PUSH said they don't sell the RWC's. I don't know why? Have your LBS put one on when you get your shock back.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Make sure you install a RWC needle bearing on the top shock mount. That will make a ton of difference. I had PUSH put one on my RP3 for my 2008 Flux when I had it and my Fox Fork serviced. I bought the RWC direct and sent it in with my shock. Push installed it for no charge. PUSH said they don't sell the RWC's. I don't know why? Have your LBS put one on when you get your shock back.
    What kind of shock load can these needle bearings handle? The bolt to bushing fit is not an interference fit. There is so little friction, that I can't believe the needle bearing is going to somehow make much of a benefit, let alone a noticeable one. Or am I behind the times, and should I now swap out the linkage bushings to bearings also?

ETA - Apology alert!!! I pulled my shock this evening and now I understand the design. The reducers spin in the DU's. I didn't realize that. OK, I can see how freeing up the friction would be a benefit, IF the needle bearings don't hammer out. Sorry for being a dick at first.

Last edited by royta; 03-18-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Look at the RWC Enduro needle bearing thread on the Turner forum and you should be convinced enough to put one on your shock. You can use a vice to press fit the bearing, but the tool made for it is easier. They will handle anything you throw at them. You will notice the difference as much as any shock tuning. You will be glad you kept your old bike!

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    PUSH said they don't sell the RWC's. I don't know why?
    I talked to Nick today. He said they feel the closest tolerance will be had with the DU and reducers. Even though, I'm still considering trying one out. I'll just have PUSH throw in a new DU and reducers in the box and I'll just install the RWC myself. Then I'll have the DU if I don't like the RWC.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    I talked to Nick today. He said they feel the closest tolerance will be had with the DU and reducers. Even though, I'm still considering trying one out. I'll just have PUSH throw in a new DU and reducers in the box and I'll just install the RWC myself. Then I'll have the DU if I don't like the RWC.

Good plan. Leave the old reducers in for a ride or two and then put in the RWC. You will feel the difference.

over researcher
    I also talked to Jared w/ Turner yesterday. He said Fox is coming out with a new design next year which should provide for lower friction. Hopefully it will work on the older shocks. I'll save my money until next year.

over researcher
    A tech at Push called me today. He said he will be lightening the factory RP3 Light tune just a bit, but will increase the psi necessary to obtain 25% sag from the normal 140-145 psi that I require to 170psi. This will give me excellent small bump compliance for the first half of shock stroke, and then ramp up for the bigger hits.

Shock and fork will be shipped out today, so I'll be putting my bike back together the middle of next week.