Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Support for discontinued frames

Anyone know what would happen if a discontinued frame (e.g. Highline) had a warranty issue? I'm guessing by now Turner is out of replacement parts for the frame so what would happen if the front triangle cracked or something like that? Would you have to get a whole new and different frame? Would they be willing to do that under their warranty program?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    It's ok. DT is sitting on a pile of Taiwanese-built, carbon DW RFXs to cover just such eventualities...

That wasn't the answer you wanted, was it?

Team Sanchez
    Team Sanchez has recently seen a couple of cracked seat stays on their Highlines. Turner will take your broken item, and repair it, and repaint it if necessary. If the item is already out of warranty, the price is more than fair. Another Sanchez member sent in his 06 RFX front tri for repair, and it came back looking like new. We couldn't be happier with the way Turner handles repairs and warranties on out-of-production frames.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Team Sanchez.......

Another Sanchez member.......

We........

Are you guys like a biker gang? Logo embroidered speedos instead of leather jackets?

Ones you wear walking into bars making your presense known?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Some guys just have a stronger urge to belong to something than others.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Team Sanchez
    We hang out at a lot of Turkish bath houses, so we all have tatoos on our @#$%#
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Now with flavor!!
    Now THAT commands attention.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Knomer
    Turners specialty is discontinued frames. Sometimes they discontinue a frame even before it hits market, just cuz they feel like it! Let's start a list of all the Turner discontinued frames, I'll start....

XCE
    Mauler
    Lucky 7
    Highline
    Nitrous
    Rail
    RFX
    Burner

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    You forgot the XC favorites: O2 and Stinger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley
    All Horst models
    Highline is TNT.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Turners specialty is discontinued frames. Sometimes they discontinue a frame even before it hits market, just cuz they feel like it! Let's start a list of all the Turner discontinued frames, I'll start....

XCE
    Mauler
    Lucky 7
    Highline
    Nitrous
    Rail
    RFX
    Burner

Man you're really reaching.

A few of those bikes existed under similar designs with different names. So if a company like specialized makes 12 different designs called stumpjumper, that's "continuing a model" even though the frames are completely different?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Pretty sure if you break a stumpjumper and have a lifetime warrantee, they will supply you with a brand new 2010 stumpjumper, where as if you break a turner nitrous what do you get?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    Pretty sure if you break a stumpjumper and have a lifetime warrantee, they will supply you with a brand new 2010 stumpjumper, where as if you break a turner nitrous what do you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized
    Paint/finish, components attached to the bicycle/frameset such as front forks, wheels, drive train, brakes, seat post, handlebar and stem, or any suspension related parts or components are covered under the limited one (1) year warranty.
    So if you broke the rear end of your Stumpjumper, it's considered a "suspension related part" and only has a 1 year warranty.

EDIT: One other thing occurs to me, the "lifetime" warranty (not just Specialized) is only extended to the original owner.
    Last edited by 2TurnersNotEnough; 03-25-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I was just using that as an example, turners don't carry a lifetime warranty either, but I kind of like the idea of using the fewest bike names over the years as possible even if that means the same name is used through several design iterations. It also helps resale value if you can sell a mk3 stumpjumper instead of a frame that has no comparable model today.

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    All the frames listed above are parts of a normal line evolution in a Bike company. I don't understand your point regarding this....
    And for the warranty question, I think it's quite simple:
    1) Turner applies a 2 years frame warranty policy... So pretty soon the old TNT models will be out of this 2 years delay...
    2) For those models, in case of a problem, I guess you'll have two possibilities: the one described by El Chingon or the crash replacement policy (see Turner website for more information about it).
    In any case I find it pretty fair from Turner...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i got a new front triangle for my 03 spot from turner in late 09 and the service was superb and the price was spot on, i was also offered a reduced price on a dw spot if i wanted
    if they can help they will, i would'nt worry personally their customer service seems better than most
    in the same vein my wifes 05 intense spyder failed at the seat tube and the replacement price for the front end was over double what turner wanted (i am in the uk) with extra for bearings and stuff, turner included a full bush kit with the spot front end
    guess what i will and wont buy again?
    anyone want to buy a spyder swingarm?
    Last edited by khani; 03-25-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Now with flavor!!

They'll often supply you with the part you broke, not an entire bike. And I've also been charged (albeit not much) for suspension piece on an old fsr frame.

And turner will almost ALWAYS work with you to come up with a similar (and sometimes better) remedy. I only say 'almost' because I haven't broken every turner that's been broken. Every time I've dealt with them, they've been more than accommodating.

Not a real good example.

Large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    Highline is TNT.
    Your avatar causes me pain. Just thought I'd share.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Seems fine to me

Bite Me.
    Pretty sure if you break a stumpjumper and have a lifetime warrantee, they will supply you with a brand new 2010 stumpjumper,
    Good point, but then you would have to ride a Stumpjumper.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Well 18 months ago Turner were still supplying (free) replacment parts for a 2002 frame. Customer service is absolutely stellar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Seems fine to me
    one can only assume mr hangtime is not from Manchester and enjoys prawn sandwiches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    funny you should say that
    i am from manchester
    and i hate prawn anything!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by khani
    funny you should say that
    i am from manchester
    and i hate prawn anything!

mtbr member
    I was paraphrasing Roy Keane - the curent manager of my home team who once famously ripped united supporters (whilst still playing for them) for not being from Manchester and enjoying prawn sandwiches and some beers while not understanding a thing that went on during the game......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast