Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    100

    Sultan w/ RP23 pressure and shock feel

    How much pressure are the folks in the 175- 200 lbs range running in their RP23s on Sultans?

    I've tried a range between 170 and 115 and am currently at 160 which gives a good feel but I run through the full travel often. I usually ride with propedal on and set at 1.

    I'm trying to save my back by having it pretty plush but I also want to be able to ride it hard without worrying about damaging the bike because I'm bottoming out all the time.

  2. #2
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,576
    Quote Originally Posted by t-jib
    How much pressure are the folks in the 175- 200 lbs range running in their RP23s on Sultans?

    I've tried a range between 170 and 115 and am currently at 160 which gives a good feel but I run through the full travel often. I usually ride with propedal on and set at 1.

    I'm trying to save my back by having it pretty plush but I also want to be able to ride it hard without worrying about damaging the bike because I'm bottoming out all the time.
    That's pretty light.

    I ran 175 psi (pre-Push tune) and weigh 170 lb max with gear. Propedal off and lever on the 1 stetting.

    The Push tune helps A LOT if you can spring for it.

    Also, are you using the stock RP can or the HV ?
    Life....the original terminal illness

  3. #3
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    I weigh 210 and run 180 psi with the stock shock (HV can) tune. Normally, run it open, with PP2 for climbs, fire roads, etc.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    The Push tune helps A LOT if you can spring for it.
    ^^^ ^^^
    I just went for a ride on a fast trail with lots of sharp choppy hits and the difference on the Push tuned RP23 is huge compared to stock. Not noticing a huge difference on low speed square hits but definitely notice it on fast ones. Only have 3 rides on the Push tuned shock though. I've always ridden the shock with PP off and dial on 1. Sultan doesn't need any platform IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Also, are you using the stock RP can or the HV ?
    I'm 215-225 lbs depending on how much crap is in my pack and I couldn't get the HV can to ride well without bottoming the shock all the time. I'm having much better luck on the standard can with about 205-210 psi.

    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    100
    The bike came with a high volume canister, and the small bar of the graph is white. I'll try my next ride at 170- 180.

    So are most people running pp off?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikesinmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,141
    RP23 HV, 175lbs 160-165psi propedal on 1

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    210lb ride weight Rp23, HV can, 170psi/PP2. Rebound 2 from closed(slow). I just switched to my Pushed Rp3 with HV can set on full(+) PP and like it much better, although, it is alittle too active on climbs. My next experiment will be the Rp3 with the small air can. Keep in mind that different shock pumps will vary in their accuracy.
    Last edited by bikenut316; 05-19-2008 at 06:22 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11
    Running the stock RP23. Usually run it open on the trails or PP1. Rebound is 2 from fast. 190psi and weigh in at 215lb (geared up). Seems to well behaved..only bobs if I'm mashing.

    Maybe a bit off topic but I've been reading the negative comments on the high compression tune of the stock shock. What ride characteristics of the bike that ndicate this?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: starre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    534
    215lb geared up running 175 psi on PP2. have 5 mm of travel left after every ride. full seems to make the rear end wander under heavy rock DH conditions.

  10. #10
    Single Malt
    Reputation: JJ29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    962

    Sultan on the way

    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    That's pretty light.

    I ran 175 psi (pre-Push tune) and weigh 170 lb max with gear. Propedal off and lever on the 1 stetting.

    The Push tune helps A LOT if you can spring for it.

    Also, are you using the stock RP can or the HV ?
    New to site. Have heard a ton about "pushed" forks and shocks. I realize they are an after market group. How do I contact them, and do I need to, when my new frame arrives?
    ~~Cheers!!! PMF~~
    _____________________________
    ~~Don't destroy what you enjoy~~

  11. #11
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ29
    New to site. Have heard a ton about "pushed" forks and shocks. I realize they are an after market group. How do I contact them, and do I need to, when my new frame arrives?
    http://www.pushindustries.com/

    you don't 'need' to contact them when your frame arrives. IMO = Build up the Sultan and ride it for a while to see if there is anything you want to improve upon - then look to PUSH.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    210lb ride weight Rp23, HV can, 170psi/PP2. Rebound 2 from closed(slow). I just switched to my Pushed Rp3 with HV can set on full(+) PP and like it much better, although, it is alittle too active on climbs. My next experiment will be the Rp3 with the small air can. Keep in mind that different shock pumps will vary in their accuracy.
    I tried the Pushed Rp3 with small can. I lost plushness but the bike flys up the climbs. No wallow at all. It's a compromise I guess. I would rather go faster at the price of comfort. With the small can, I was able to lower the psi from 170 to160.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    ^^^ ^^^
    I just went for a ride on a fast trail with lots of sharp choppy hits and the difference on the Push tuned RP23 is huge compared to stock. Not noticing a huge difference on low speed square hits but definitely notice it on fast ones. Only have 3 rides on the Push tuned shock though. I've always ridden the shock with PP off and dial on 1. Sultan doesn't need any platform IMHO.

    I'm 215-225 lbs depending on how much crap is in my pack and I couldn't get the HV can to ride well without bottoming the shock all the time. I'm having much better luck on the standard can with about 205-210 psi.

    B
    I would try the HV can again now that you have the 5.5" rockers. I weigh 225 and have no problems at all with bottoming.


  14. #14
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I would try the HV can again now that you have the 5.5" rockers. I weigh 225 and have no problems at all with bottoming.
    But my HV can doesn't have the Push Factory Tuned stickers on it. That is a deal breaker and has got to effect the performance.

    I'll swap it out for the next ride and report back. Probably won't be til mid-week though.

    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  15. #15
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,576
    Funny, but I'd think you'd have more BO issues with the HV can the 5.5 rockers. Sounds like you're putting more leverage on a shock with more volume and inherently less BO protection.
    Life....the original terminal illness

  16. #16
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Funny, but I'd think you'd have more BO issues with the HV can the 5.5 rockers. Sounds like you're putting more leverage on a shock with more volume and inherently less BO protection.
    That's been my experience with the HV can. But who am I to argue with JNC? He's got more time tinkering with different rockers na shocks on the Sultan than nearly anyone. In Dog we trust, all others bring data. Guess a re-test with the 5.5 rockers is the only way to know for sure if it is right for me.

    Maybe there is a magical leverage ratio at the end of stroke on the 5.5 Spot rockers making BO very difficult? But I'm getting all my travel on the standard can with 5.5 rockers on a typicla ride and am afraid I'll get there on smaller hits and get clanks on bigger hits with the HV can.

    B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 05-19-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  17. #17
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    The ride experiences are all over the board w/the diff shock and rocker setups, it would be nice to hear from Turner and/or Push about the diff setups and their opinions of them.

    HV vs. LV can
    Pushed vs. stock shock
    5.5 vs. Push vs. stock rockers

    Personally I like the idea of the stock rockers for my size cause of what you guys are alluding to with the higher lev ratio(Push and 5.5 rockers) and heavier riders, but not sure about the HV vs LV thingy. I'm not one to tinker non stop, would prefer some input and stick with one setup. I do think I will get my shock Pushed tho, I feel like I'm riding too far into the travel at times and also seem to use all the travel too frequently, I have the correct sag and any more psi would diminish the plush feel I do like.
    Last edited by rr; 05-19-2008 at 10:17 AM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,756
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    The ride experiences are all over the board w/the diff shock and rocker setups, it would be nice to hear from Turner and/or Push about the diff setups and their opinions of them.

    HV vs. LV can
    Pushed vs. stock shock
    5.5 vs. Push vs. stock rockers

    Personally I like the idea of the stock rockers for my size cause of what you guys are alluding to with the higher lev ratio and heavier riders, but not sure about the HV vs LV thingy. I'm not one to tinker non stop, would prefer some input and stick with one setup. I do think I will get my shock Pushed tho, I feel like I'm riding too far into the travel at times and also seem to use all the travel too frequently, I have the correct sag and any more psi would diminish the plush feel I do like.
    HV vs. LV can: This is simply a sag issue. If you cannot achieve sag for your given weight at a respectable pressure...then one or the other cans will offer you another option.

    Pushed vs. stock shock: Pretty obvious, really. The stock damper is valved for a wider range of riders/ suspension designs. The PUSH'd mod offers you the ability to tune the damper for your weight/ susp. design.

    5.5 vs. Push vs. stock rockers: This is a bit more difficult to interpolate since only one set of rockers was actually designed for the Sultan. However, there are some obvious differences in the curves represented.


  19. #19
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by starre
    215lb geared up running 175 psi on PP2. have 5 mm of travel left after every ride. full seems to make the rear end wander under heavy rock DH conditions.
    Are you saying you run PP2 on the descents and you have 5mm travel left with PP2 turned on?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •