mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Sultan vs. Ventana El Rey

Anyone know the difference between these two frames. It seems they are built almost the same, though I know each will have their very own ride characteristics. Geometry is slightly different so how do you think (on paper..since ride comparisons are unavailable) each will ride. Will one be better suited for certain trails / applications vs. the other. Was leaning towards the Sultan until I ran across the El Rey. Thanks.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    too new (El Rey) to get honest feedback I am afraid. My guess (despite Krispy's comments) is that as noted by many a rider I know anyway, they will ride more alike than different (a la the 5 Spot versus X5 comparisons of past)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    FWOW
    I think the Sultan is definately the way to go. Having owned a ventana and several turners, I can honestly tell you that the walking beam rockers, tend to do a better job of cycling the shock thru its travel when they are long, like on turners bikes. You seem to be able to run much less damping on your rebound which is a good thing. The bike squats appropriately too, i.e. when you preload the rear end for a bunny hop or wheelie or drop, not when your mashing on the pedals up a steep HC. Also, take a look at the light weight bushings which are user servicable with zerk fittings. Being bushings, they are not affected by the perpetual bind of lateral forces and therefore don't need to be overbuilt with doubled up oversized heavy sealed bearings. Don't get me wrong sealed bearings are great, for spining around axles, they are wonderful. But not when they are isolated at the outside of each corner of a four bar susp. design. Don't forget that the rockers on turner bikes bend inwards where the shock sandwiches snuggly between them, which contributes to a more refined, laterally rigid suspension design. Essentially, if the thing don't work really good, I'd much rather ride my one speed. The turner is, without a doubt the way to go in my book. Worth the wait and worth the $$$
    Avail. in 1/07 supposedly, my fingers are crossed in anticipation, are yours?

mtbr member
    I agree with the previous posts. They are both fantastic bikes, but not altogether the same...similar enough, however. I obviously chose to go with the Turner, but I also could see the Ventana being a bit more attractive if you would prefer to alter the geometry a bit. My Sultan fits as great as all the Turners I have owned & certainly rides as expected.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with either...but my nod goes to the Turner

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I know to each his own, but why are there certain sites that just don't like the turner sultan (goclipless.com, some other testers on the 29er website...can't remember who on the top of my head). I for one like the clean look of the sultan and the turner build. The only other one I was seriously considering was the niner rip9 but to me the frame design looks so busy / cheap.. I hear it rides great, though. I'm just hoping the Sultan rails the corners and begs to go down.

jrm
    mtbr member

From what ive gathered.

i like the lower leverage ratio on the el rey. The sultan uses a 73 degree SA whereas i really like a 74 because it gives me more adjustablity. I like how the sultan offers a 23.5" ETT on the medium. The travel on the el rey can be upgraded to 5"s.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can the El Rey be bought with 5" travel or would that require a new rocker and shock after the fact? I too like the TT of the Sultan vs the 23" on the El Rey.

jrm
    mtbr member

I'd call sherwood..

To get it all straight.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys