mtbr member
    Nov 2007

sultan with spot rockers- geo questions

I have put spot rockers on my sultan and I know it should drop the BB very slightly which in theory should make the seat tube slightly more relaxed and the head tube as well. So my question is why do I now feel like I need a setback seat post?

Also those of you that have tried this mod., do you notice any different in climbing ability? If so have you gotten used to it to the point it is no longer noticeable.

Generally though I like the way it rides but am considering a LV can to replace the HV I have. I think I run about 178 psi in the shock and get full (and I mean all of it) travel but do not feel like it is bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t-jib
    Generally though I like the way it rides but am considering a LV can to replace the HV I have. I think I run about 178 psi in the shock and get full (and I mean all of it) travel but do not feel like it is bottoming out.
    If you're getting full travel, why would you want to feel it bottoming out? That was one of the things I really appreciated about the 5.5 rockers on the Sultan. The LV can would have more ramp up at the end of the travel anyway.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't that is why I put them on. my main question is in regards to the possible change in fit.

What does ramp up mean? More resistance as it approaches full travel?

mtbr member
    I don't that is why I put them on. my main question is in regards to the possible change in fit.
    You said you were "considering a LV can to replace the HV I have", but did not exactly state why you were considering this other than mentioning that with the HV can it did not "feel like it is bottoming out", hence my response.

Your question about the setback seatpost is rather cryptic too. Do you feel like you need to be more stretched out? Did your knees start hurting? Do you just feel like you need more weight on the front end when climbing?

What does ramp up mean? More resistance as it approaches full travel?
    Basically. The lower the volume of air in a shock, the more it will exhibit the increasing spring rate curve typically associated with air shocks, where it takes much greater force to compress it in the last x% of travel than the first x%. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the 5.5 rockers on the Sultan also exhibit a very progressive rate, so combining the two could make it very hard to use full travel.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

jrm
    mtbr member

Instead of messing with

I have put spot rockers on my sultan and I know it should drop the BB very slightly which in theory should make the seat tube slightly more relaxed and the head tube as well. So my question is why do I now feel like I need a setback seat post?

Also those of you that have tried this mod., do you notice any different in climbing ability? If so have you gotten used to it to the point it is no longer noticeable.

rockers, consider having the shock PUSHED.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    takes much greater force to compress it in the last x% of travel than the first x%. .
    I am just getting used to utilizing full travel since if I ever did with standard rockers it was a bottom out rather than how it feels now, which is certainly an improvement.

On the seat post: everything feels great on the bike except my lower back (which already had issues prior) I am just not sure if slightly stretched with a set back post will improve or worsen my condition. My weight distribution over the bike while climbing, descending and carving all feel good.